Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Canterlot Capital City-Unicorn City?

Nature's Spell

So we know that Canterlot is the most important city in Equestria and the current capital. We also know it has a heavy Unicorn presence, so it's possible, I'd say likely, that it was once the Unicorn capital; as Cloudsdale was once the Pegasus capital.

Does this imply that Celestia was a Unicorn? Even if she wasn't why would she make her capital in a city known to be dominated by one race?

Edited by Nature's Spell

My working theory on this at the moment is that Canterlot wasn't originally the capital, but the capital was moved there due to various disasters occurring to the prior two.

I'm figuring that the city now called 'The Crystal Empire' was the capital of the true Crystal Empire that a couple of thousands of years ago covered all the regions currently known as Equestria, subdivided into smaller kingdoms and fiefdoms. Discord wrecked everything during his rule, and then Sombra vanished the capital.

The Princesses then created a new capital, around the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. (Interesting title there, that it was the *pony* sisters. This seems to indicate that other races were a significant going concern at the time where now ponies vastly outpopulate the other races.) Because underneath is the secret source of the Elements of Harmony. Then Luna pitches a fit, and the Everfree Forest takes over that region.

And so Celestia moves the capital to the former Unicornia, now known as Canterlot. Probably because of the crystal caverns below it that might be one of the few remaining mines for all these gemstone-type magic artefacts roaming loose in the world. (The Crystal Empire and the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, the other two sources being unaccessable now.)

But this is just a working theory, depending on what occurs in-show. :)

(edited)

My working theory on this at the moment is that Canterlot wasn't originally the capital, but the capital was moved there due to various disasters occurring to the prior two.

I'm figuring that the city now called 'The Crystal Empire' was the capital of the true Crystal Empire that a couple of thousands of years ago covered all the regions currently known as Equestria, subdivided into smaller kingdoms and fiefdoms. Discord wrecked everything during his rule, and then Sombra vanished the capital.

The Princesses then created a new capital, around the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. (Interesting title there, that it was the *pony* sisters. This seems to indicate that other races were a significant going concern at the time where now ponies vastly outpopulate the other races.) Because underneath is the secret source of the Elements of Harmony. Then Luna pitches a fit, and the Everfree Forest takes over that region.

And so Celestia moves the capital to the former Unicornia, now known as Canterlot. Probably because of the crystal caverns below it that might be one of the few remaining mines for all these gemstone-type magic artefacts roaming loose in the world. (The Crystal Empire and the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, the other two sources being unaccessable now.)

But this is just a working theory, depending on what occurs in-show. :)

A interesting theory! I've honestly found the Crystal Empire to be a conundrum and view it as being apart from Equestria. We know Cloudsdale was and still is the home of the Pegasus (for obvious reasons) and I really think that Canterlot was the Unicorn capital. As you said we'll hopefully learn more. I just find the fact that Celestia picked a major Unicorn city as her capital really interesting. :) Edited by Nature's Spell