Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So in I go - seeking advice

Curran

So I am biting the bullet and trying cons again. I was actually hoping that I might get a little help on how best to do it because in the past my con experiences have been not necessarily bad, but nothing I really enjoyed or got the most out of.

I'm in the Seattle area and just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Unfortunately, I will be going alone, and I know that is a big handicap, but what else should I bring or prepare for? I want this con to be something I get the most out of and enjoy the whole time, so any advice or ideas are welcome. Thanks!

All I can really say is come with an open mind and do not be afraid to engage those around you. We are all coming together with a shared interest, so there is little ice to break and finding some common ground for conversation should be easy. You may be come there by yourself, but you may very well find yourself doing things and enjoying the con with some new friends.

I would very much suggest taking a look at the schedule and have idea what it is you want to do while at the con, because there are a lot of events having simultaneously, a little something for everyone depending on their interests.

Yeah, no joke there's plenty going on. I definitely want to make sure I hit a few of the events (a few of the signings, naturally and most likely the Iron Writer contest) but I also want to be loose enough that I don't boil it down to a 'shopping list' of things to do, since last time I did anything con like was PAX and I did that and was disappointed in the whole experience.

But since I am an utter rookie at this whole thing, how about I just ask what are the basics I should bring or have?

I think we all are seeing how to get the most of this convention. This will be my first con as well. I'm coming in from Chicago and staying at the hotel. I agree with Master_Clockwork's advice.