movies/tv Foreign Films

Away

Most foreign films I watch aren't even available to the US...

The good ones I watch have to be taken from Chinese legal movie downloading sites (they have ones called PPSStream, as an example). It usually involves martial arts, comedy, ancient literature parodies, Chinese historical fiction, which is generally "dynasty" drama. People also oversimplify the Chinese movie industry; there are actually a lot less copied movie and a lot more good ones than you expect (though I don't know their names).

For Japanese movies, I've taken a liking for the "Girl Who Leapt Through Time". And for Korean ones, I don't really watch movies. It's almost always drama or soap opera that's translated.

Another good Indian movie for me is "3 Idiots". For the German one, I'll go with the classic non-translated "All Quiet on the Western Front" (yes, they have that).

Edited by Cartophile

• 6 months later...

Reviving an old thread because boredom.

Offret/The Sacrifice (1987) is one of the absolute best things I've ever watched. It's a chamber drama about a family get-together that is interrupted by news of a war. Sounds simple, but the way it's captured is phenomenal. Sheer dread in film form. Altered my state of mind in a way few things can manage. Granted, it's hard to recommend unless you're really into this artsy stuff. It's one of Tarkovsky's more conventionally plotted and accessible films, but it's still Tarkovsky and that means glacial pacing and suffocating austerity. Stay away if you're looking for easy viewing.

For more entertaining fare, the South Korean monster movie The Host (2006) is well worth the time. No need for a fancy synopsis here. There's a monster and it wreaks havoc and that's all you need to know. It's skillfully crafted, and has a way with shifting between drama and comedy that I found thrilling.

I haven't checked in months, but I think both of these are on Netflix.

I think the only foreign films, I'll sit through are films involving Asian culture.   Specifically films involving the Samurai, since i've always been interested in their literature, :D   Quite fascinating I have to admit.

Anyone said "Oldboy" yet?  Not the, ugh...  Totally unnecessary remake, obviously.  It should be rated "WTF?!??!"  But it's also amazing.

Summary:

Dude is inexplicably picked up and held captive at the beginning of the film.  Audience has no idea why.  HE has no idea why.  He's confined to the same room and left to his own devices at length...  Given ample time to think about what his captors did to him.

Yeah, that's all I can really tell you lol.  It's soooo easy to spoiler this brilliant, messed-up, mind-blowing masterpiece of a film.  Again, the ORIGINAL, Korean-made (based on a Japanese manga) version.  I recommend it...  If you are an adult person.  'Cause the WTF rating.

And, even though it's an anime, Akira.  Akira Akira Akira.  It transcends the genre - and did so in the 80's.

(edited)

Downfall/Der Üntergang

Léon: The Professional

The Intouchables/Untouchable

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Ringu

All of these are excellent foreign films and I highly recommend that you check them out.... immediatly

Edited by GrauWitz

(edited)

Since there's a rather large interest in Japanese movies, I'll throw in a couple of them since most of us agree that Kurosawa is so much of a cinematographic god that his name is recognized by Chrome's spell check. If you like Kurosawa, check out:

Director: Yoji Yamada

• The Twilight Samurai (2002)—A period piece set about two years before the Boshin War and the establishment of the Meiji Restoration. Iguchi Seibei is a low ranking samurai whose wife passed away and tends to the needs of his two young children and his ailing mother as well as his duties of his status, leaving him no time to live the social life that most expect that come with the samurai status. His clan gets a new leader in a power struggle and he's asked to step up to the duties of his post. I rather like this one, because as a jidai-geki film, it shows a unique and accurate depiction of those in the warrior class. Not every samurai was a soldier and most held mundane jobs, Seibei himself was an accountant and stockroom worker with the rest of his colleagues and spent most of his time dreaming about living the simple life of a farmer to spend his days quietly with his daughters. Samurai were paid stipends from the clan or local lord—you were damn sure they'd be productive when not fighting.

Director: Kinji Fukasaku (Same director as Battle Royale)

•  Battles Without Honor and Humanity/Jingi Naki Tatakai (1973)—All I need to say about this film is: Bunta Sugawara. This is a Yakuza film in the classical vein of gangster movies of the era, but I feel this film differs greatly from the Godfather where the Godfather did try and paint the picture that, in the end crime doesn't pay, it did have the unfortunate effect of showing that until you get to the end—HOT DAMN IS IT FUN BEING A GANGSTER! Battles takes place in a period of unrest in Japan post-World War II where everyone's trying to find their place in an increasingly chaotic and Westernized nation. Previous chivalry and codes of honor are dying out, Your word is simultaneously the most valuable and least trustworthy thing about you and ultimately, it expresses the dangers of fighting among one another when you really should be working together to fix the hellhole your fighting is making worse.
Edited by Krosp I
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The Raid:Redemption is one of my favorite foreign films. It's an Indonesian action movie, and it's a surprisingly entertaining movie. It's chock full of insane kung fu moves, and action. I recommend watching this if you're into action films.

Spirited Away is another great foreign flick. It's a Japanese animated film, and words cannot describe just how awesome it is. 

Edited by Mikami

Instructions Not Included

People here in Mexico loved it, and guess it counts as foreign for most of you. If anypony decides to see it, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it! :) Made me cry.  :(