Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one this Christmas?

SwigglySwiggly

So for 2nd Christmas in a row I have/am going to receive nothing from Santa.

The first time this happened I got upset, it happened because my parents are really strict to the point I end up receiving very little to nothing. The most expensive thing they ever got me for Christmas was a video game (And that was only once) This year I'm not upset, I figured that even how many times I beg for a gift (worth $17) I will never get it, so I might as well give up. My family is not poor, we can afford any gift that I may desire but my parents are too strict.

Does this happen to you too? no yes? 

do you think it's fair?

Not really. But I don't focus ,nor care, on what I get, how mu, or its value. I'm happy knowing that I spend time with my loved ones, not what they offer me.

I should have pointed this out earlier, I'm not fortunate enough to love or be loved by my "Loved ones"

Not getting anything for Christmas? That's me right there for the past few years. I don't really care much about Christmas might anymore. For me, as long as you can say that your family is doing well is a present.

Not getting anything for Christmas? That's me right there for the past few years. I don't really care much about Christmas might anymore. For me, as long as you can say that your family is doing well is a present.

I have a bad feeling that I might end up like you sometime in the future

I have a bad feeling that I might end up like you sometime in the future

Is that in a good or bad way? I'm assuming its in a bad horrible, soul-wreaking way. Just enjoy life, buy things with your own money, donate, not exactly a horrible thing. I at times wish I still have Christmas, opening up presents, but I'd rather not celebrate Christmas. Despite what some of my other family members believe...

If your family is Buddhist why do you celebrate Christmas?

Christmas isn't about Christianity, its celebrated worldwide no matter what religion you are. Christmas existed before Christians were around, its just that the name is misleading. (Christmas is about the end of a year and celebration, not about Jesus's birth)

• Brohoof 1

my parents wants to make me gift, but i ask them to not do so, as they already gift food and the home every day and they pay half of my university taxes, also they paied fpr my school and everything and i don't feel it's right that they buy me other gift.. if i want something i just keep my money and then i buy the stuff i want... still my girlfriend gift me stuff everyyear so i do the same to her (this year she gifted me an awesome shaver.. i love beard and facial hairs and this stuff will help me improve my look in less time), i gifted her a silver necklace that i bought times ago for xmas while working 2 month on summer... so i don't think it's a big problem not receving gifts... xmas should be about being better and being happy with family and friends, and not about the better gift.. just my 2 cents

• Brohoof 2

Christmas isn't about Christianity, its celebrated worldwide no matter what religion you are. Christmas existed before Christians were around, its just that the name is misleading. (Christmas is about the end of a year and celebration, not about Jesus's birth)

Well technically the holiday called Christmas is a Christain holiday, even if the tradition of giving gifts and spreading cheer during this time of year has been around longer than Christianity. The older names for this holiday would be Winter Solstice and Satunalia. But I get what you're saying. For most people it's just a name at this point, and unless they celebrate a different religious holiday, most people call it Christmas, even if they are atheists.

On topic: I think that as long as your parents deny themselves little luxuries like gifts the same way they deny you, then it's fair. But if they buy themselves all kinds of treats and never share their wealth with you beyond providing the necessities of life, it's mean. If they won't let you get a job of your own to pay for things you want, but still refuse to help you buy those things, it is not fair.

• Brohoof 1

No, not really I just don't like asking for expensive gifts so I never ask for something I can't afford and when it comes to expensive gifts I often pay around the half of that gift. That's just me though, I can't say you're parents are too strict since I don't really know your situation.

All that matters is that you're spending quality time with your family, gifts are just extra.

You shouldn't be greedy. The best present you have is that you have a family that loves you. You must be happy that you don't have terminal illnes or something simillar. There are children that don't even have shelter or a family. Be happy with what you got. It is the best thing you can have. Have a wonderful christmas!

• Brohoof 1

Well, to me whether or not I receive anything during Christmas doesn't matter. I'm satisfied with just being with my family during the period now that I barely live with them anymore. I pretty much have what I need. If anything, getting other stuff might just end up cluttering me even more if I don't have enough room for the gifts in my house in London. I'm rather simple with what I want, with only game consoles being my guilty pleasure, and even then I only get very few games.

• Brohoof 1

All I can do is say I hope your parents are fair and even across the board.  If they don't want to lavish presents on you, I hope they don't give much to each other or anybody else.  Otherwise, they're hypocrites. 

Ever since my dad died I have no immediate family.  I exchange modest gifts with my stepmom and a few other people.  Christmas is ultimately about love and good will toward each other, not material possessions.

And yes, winter solstice celebrations pre-date Christianity itself.  Nobody knows when Christ was born and the early church decided to adopt December 25 as the date of the Lord's birth.  I think it was supposed to be the birth date of a Roman sun god.  The Bible says Jesus is the light of the world so there is a certain logic behind this choice. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

@

I have already stated that I don't mind receiving nothing (therefore I'm not greedy) and a good family is something I don't have to enjoy. I am very much happy (but could be better) and merry christmas 

Good to hear and thank you ^^