Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why couldn't anyone initially stop Flutterbat?

Winona the Dog

To think that Twilight is an alicorn you'd think that she'd be able to stop Flutterbat with basic magic or her time stop spell from Castle Mania. Then the rest of the mane 6 could've tied her down.

If you think about it Rainbow Dash is faster than her so she could've done something and even Rarity could've done the same stopped her with telekinesis as well.

I'm simply pointing out that the sacrifice of the giant apple was a bit contrived and unnecessary since the mane 6 had the talent to stop her themselves.

Hey I love this episode and I love Flutterbat but this episode had a pretty lackluster ending.

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson
  • Brohoof 4

Because if they easily caught Fluttershy, it wouldn't be an episode. Would you rather have a 30 minute episode with a somewhat decent ending and buildup or no episode at all? It's not about how realistic it is. It's all about the idea and plot that can take up a whole episode length.

• Brohoof 1

now that I think about it, what you say is true. I suppose the writer(s) thought it necessary to give up the big apple so AJ could learn a lesson?

Hmmm I dunno. I figured she learned her lesson the moment she realized Fluttershy's transformation. As she did say "I want my friend back"

She felt bad enough at that point so I think she learned her lesson there

Twilight needs a few seconds to focus her magic and has to stand still and be near a target while doing that. Flutterbat was too jumpy for that. 

Where is the evidence that Rainbow is faster? We already know that enraged Fluttershy near Rainbow speed wise. Hell, Rainbow seems scared of Flutterbat

Rarity is too weak to do anything

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. :huh:  But I guess it's solely for the sake of the lesson and the integrity of the episode as a whole. They do this a lot you know. There's been so many episodes in which unnecessary conflicts have occurred and they always seem to have lacked logic and common sense. It's for the length of the episode and it's supposed to teach moral lessons that much of the young audience would be able to benefit from. Such a young and targeted audience wouldn't really be worrying about whether or not a certain choice made by the ponies or sequence of events in an episode is logical. 

• Brohoof 1

Ok, I'm going to give this a shot and argue one side:

- A lot of episodes are written around the same time by different people, so if there was collaboration, it's usually last minute and only minor things are changed.

- It was dark and Twilight needs to focus her magic to grab fast moving objects (example: Lesson Zero). Plus Twilight's stop spell affects the other mane 6 around her, and even if it didn't, she would still need to be able to maintain that spell as she was casting the reverse spell.

- Rainbow Dash was overpowered by Batshy, so there was nothing she could have done once she caught up to her singled hoovely.

- The gang didn't want to be rough with Fluttershy, especially AJ who might have saw this whole thing as her fault.

- Rarity's magic isn't that well suited for this type of job, and seems more used for precise control of small, lighter objects, like moving a sewing needle.

- Pinkie just plum didn't want to get close to Fluttershy, fearing she would feast on ponies.

-

Edited by A Talking Dragon
  • Brohoof 5

Catching her immediately would result in more unused time that couldn't really be used for anything. Everything seemed to fit together fine to me, personally. Flutterbat was moving at such a fast pace that simply chasing after her or Twilight/Rarity shooting spells left and right wouldn't result in doing anything really productive. Luring her out with the giant apple was a good choice to me. 

Twilight needs a few seconds to focus her magic and has to stand still and be near a target while doing that. Flutterbat was too jumpy for that.

Where is the evidence that Rainbow is faster? We already know that enraged Fluttershy near Rainbow speed wise. Hell, Rainbow seems scared of Flutterbat

Rarity is too weak to do anything

Hmmm

Well you got me on Rarity but we've yet to see the limit ofher magic. She could be stronger than we think.

As for Twilight she could've eventually caught Flutterbat with trail and error (as for concentrating on Flutterbat she did stay in the same spot for a, few seconds) Twilight knows a variety of spells so she could use a lot of nonlethal ones in Flutterbat.

Rainbow Dash can fly faster than Fluttershy and yeah if Fluttershy is enraged she can fly faster than Rainbow but Fluttershy wasn't enraged here. Just crazy with bloodlust.

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson

Hmmm

Well you got me on Rarity but we've yet to see the limit ofher magic.

As for Twilight she could've eventually caught Flutterbat with trail and error (as concentrating on Flutterbat she did stay in the same spot for a, few seconds)

Rainbow Dash can fly faster than Fluttershy and yeah if Fluttershy is enraged she can fly faster than Rainbow but Fluttershy wasn't enraged here.

Maybe Flutterbat unlocks potential? It doesn't matter since Rainbow was cautious of getting bitten

I assume that some of it is slowed down for convenience, Flutterbat was probably only still for a second

• Brohoof 1

- A lot of episodes are written around the same time by different people, so if there was collaboration, it's usually last minute and only minor things are changed.

- It was dark and Twilight needs to focus her magic to grab fast moving objects (example: Lesson Zero). Plus Twilight's stop spell affects the other mane 6 around her, and even if it didn't, she would still need to be able to maintain that spell as she was casting the reverse spell.

- Rainbow Dash was overpowered by Batshy, so there was nothing she could have done once she caught up to her singled hoovely.

- The gang didn't want to be rough with Fluttershy, especially AJ who might have saw this whole thing as her fault.

- Rarity's magic isn't that well suited for this type of job, and seems more used for precise control of small, lighter objects, like moving a sewing needle.

- Pinkie just plum didn't want to get close to Fluttershy, fearing she would feast on ponies.

-

Okay I can see what your getting at, but Twilight can concentrate her time pause magic to who it can effect. If I can remember correctly Spike wasn't effected was he?

I'm going to assume for now she can basically control who she's effecting with her magic. Not to mention she has other non lethal spells she could've used to trap her long enough for the others to think.

I dunno I kind of thought something could've been done.

And Fluttershy can be OP at times

@,

I'm fairly sure dragons are resistant to magic, that explains why Twilight's burst didn't include him.

Well Twilight has used magic plenty of times on Spike and it still affected him. I don't think dragons are resistant to magic with that fact.

Remember when he was a baby and Twilight made him grow very big?

Rarity's magic isn't actually all that weak:

post-2257-0-08849000-1388288875_thumb.jpg

Clothes horses, and bolts of cloth, for that matter, are not particularly light. Maybe her magic isn't suited to stopping bat-ponies in mid-flight, but she sure as sugar isn't weak.

Rarity's magic isn't actually all that weak:

attachicon.gifbscap0104.jpg

Clothes horses, and bolts of cloth, for that matter, are not particularly light. Maybe her magic isn't suited to stopping bat-ponies in mid-flight, but she sure as sugar isn't weak.

Maybe weak is a strong word but even so, this is more a show of her dexterity than raw power. That stuff isn't that light but it's not very heavy either

Because if they easily caught Fluttershy, it wouldn't be an episode. Would you rather have a 30 minute episode with a somewhat decent ending and buildup or no episode at all? It's not about how realistic it is. It's all about the idea and plot that can take up a whole episode length.

I think it was all about lessons being learned. Also, if they caught her right away then we wouldn't have an episode, now would we?

I would rather have an plot that makes sense rather than an illogical one, yes. If they can't make the story work without a plot hole, than they should drop the story altogether.

-

Well I guess this could explain it.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I would rather have an plot that makes sense rather than an illogical one, yes. If they can't make the story work without a plot hole, than they should drop the story altogether.

I'm fairly sure they have deadlines to meet, dear friend. They can't waste time scrapping every idea that has potential.

I'm fairly sure they have deadlines to meet, dear friend. They can't waste time scrapping every idea that has potential.

So sacrifice the quality of the show because they're on a deadline. Well if all they care about is making money, and not a show with good writing, than sure. Also, (not talking about this episode anymore since I think A Talking Dragon may have managed to fill in the plot hole with logic) if they episode is based around a plot hole, than it has no potential, at least no good potential.

A good writer makes sure their stories are devoid of logical inconsistencies, and if they realize their story, or at least a part of it, is reliant on one, than they scrap that part or the entire story and start over.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

or her time stop spell from Castle Mania
I don't think she used such a time spell... she simply used telekinesis to stop them all.

Also... confusion and frustration. And the fact that they didn't want to hurt her.