Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question regarding forum rules on "advertising"

hawkflame
Go to solution Solved by valete,

I understand that there are rules against advertising external sites here, either via pm or forum posts.  And believe me, I get why that is. 

However, I'm in the process of creating an MLP themed personal fan site.  Would it be a violation of the rules if I were to start a thread on it for the purposes of feedback and constructive crticism, treating it like another fan project?  And I believe I could still link to the site in my sig, is that correct?

Thanks for any feedback

It is allowed to post links to your websites in your signature and your profile. To quote CD on the matter:

"In your signature, and in the designated 'website' profile field are the best and only real places to freely advertise whatever sites you'd like." - ~Chaotic Discord~ (2013, December 25) (Source)

However, if you'd like to start a thread about your website, it would be best to personally contact the administrators to ask for permission first. To quote Feld0:

"Permission to advertise is something you need to seek from the admins privately." - Feld0 (2012, May 10) (Source)

-----------

Usually, I think the advertisements with the intent of profit are the ones that are not allowed within MLPF. 

• Brohoof 2

If it's solely there for advice/feedback/criticism, I do not think that would be a problem ,if you were however actually advertising it, to get members to join etc, then that may be a different story.

Advertising your own site is not permitted outside of your signature and the website field in your profile.

The signature should be perfectly fine, yes. As for the thread, I don't see too much of an issue with it in that context. Similar to posting a YouTube video in Octavia's Hall versus begging for subscribers, or whatever people do. Not my call of course, but I think the thread might be alright to make.

Yes you can link it in your sig or advertise it via a blog post or a status update so long as the site dosen't contain any content that is in violation of forum rules such as NSFW content for example, but I would recommend talking to Feld0 before making a thread about it. Something like this is usually not allowed but if it really is a fan project than it wouldn't hurt to ask permission before proceeding, the worst that could happen is he says no.

Kro;re has answered this well. Only in the suggested area's are you allowed to post links to your personal website, anywhere else and it will likely get flagged.

• Brohoof 2