Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

point on twilight, yay or nay (slice of life)

FNGRpony

I don't see why wanting to become princess and be Celestias successor is a bad thing. The closest real world equivalent is wanting to become President of the United States.

Are there those who are highly corruptible who aspire to the position? Yes. Is it in and of itself bad? No. It's called ambition.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awesome-things-movies-want-you-to-hate/

I think in the context of the show and becoming a princess ambition is a bad thing. Uncontrolled ambition seems to be frowned on in Equestria. I'm not going to give exact examples but over a it seems true. Again, you guys can think what you want. Dr. Wolf has a great video on Twilight that I think is relevant.

http://youtu.be/J2igVbgNoZA

Edited by Nature's Spell

I don't mind Season 4 at all; I agree that it has plenty of improvements over the previous season *cough* Sombra *cough*. But, in my perspective based upon a realistic point of view, Lauren Faust had left the team by Season 3 and the newest season has its promises for the fans, yet I have a bad feeling of how it will turn out in the long run.

The premiere of S4 was good, nothing spectacular since I had already knew what was going to happen either way; I even avoided any spoilers that would of been given to me by my sources, excluding the fact that John De Lancie's Twitter mentioned on how he was to be in the premiere. That is all I heard at least.

Castle Mane-ia wasn't much at all, and yet every brony I knew kept pleading me to watch it for a good laugh. IMO, the memes based on that episode were much more funnier than it. But I will be fair that due to all the 'nonsense' that I endeavoured, I never realized that Pinkie Pie was behind the whole thing without any realization for herself. So, a good chuckle there.

I still need to view the other episodes, but from what I've seen for the Daring Don't episode, I am not too fond of it. Daring Do is simply Indiana Jones ponified in Rainbow Dash's perspective. Also, it had some strange resemblance to a film I had seen about a fan of a writer's book and whenever he decided to make a drastic change upon the characters she likes, she would torture him till he fixed to what she wanted. Now clearly, that would never happen on this show but it has that sort of atmosphere, I.E. Rainbow Dash's expressive face.

Anyways, in conclusion...

I do hope for the very best for S4, it shows plenty of promise and determination for what the fans and its target demographic would like to see for their favorite characters, or any one of them of their choice.

P.S.

I still have to see the Bats! episode. Something about Fluttershy being a bat-pony looks quite interesting. xD

I think in the context of the show and becoming a princess ambition is a bad thing. Uncontrolled ambition seems to be frowned on in Equestria. I'm not going to give exact examples but over a it seems true. Again, you guys can think what you want. Dr. Wolf has a great video on Twilight that I think is relevant.

There's ambition and then there's uncontrolled ambition. Wanting greatness doesn't mean you want it at any cost, and I think the show demonstrates that pretty well. Rainbow dash and Rarity are both highly ambitious, and both of them having lofty goals and striving to be the best at their field is never shown as a bad thing. And yet they're never so driven that they ultimately choose their goals over their friends. I think it's possible to frame wanting to be a princess in a similarly positive light.

• Brohoof 2

There's ambition and then there's uncontrolled ambition. Wanting greatness doesn't mean you want it at any cost, and I think the show demonstrates that pretty well. Rainbow dash and Rarity are both highly ambitious, and both of them having lofty goals and striving to be the best at their field is never shown as a bad thing. And yet they're never so driven that they ultimately choose their goals over their friends. I think it's possible to frame wanting to be a princess in a similarly positive light.

Maybe, I cede that point. But Twilight never expressed a desire to be anything but Celestia's student and every student must graduate. She graduated. Twilight is now living friendship and since friendship is magic she's living that too.

So Rarity Takes Manehattan has finally aired. 

Although it was a great episode on the whole, one thing bugged me here and I knew it probably would.  And that is the treatment of Twilight Sparkle in non-Twilight episodes.

Basically, she arrives in Manehattan and she's pretty much treated like any other pony.  She's a no one there, just another tourist who can't get a cab.  Can you imagine Kate Middleton going to New York and not being able to hail a cab?  Can you imagine some random guy yelling at her to get in line?  I mean, I can understand Twilight Sparkle not taking any special treatment, but no one even recognizing her now?  I get that mass media in Equestria is not what we have here, and maybe not everyone can recognize her face, but I would think that the wings and the horn should be a pretty glaring tip off. 

This is exactly what I was concerned about happening when she became an Alicorn.  It seems like the writers only recognize her princesshood when it's convenient to the plot.

So Rarity Takes Manehattan has finally aired.

Although it was a great episode on the whole, one thing bugged me here and I knew it probably would. And that is the treatment of Twilight Sparkle in non-Twilight episodes.

Basically, she arrives in Manehattan and she's pretty much treated like any other pony. She's a no one there, just another tourist who can't get a cab. Can you imagine Kate Middleton going to New York and not being able to hail a cab? Can you imagine some random guy yelling at her to get in line? I mean, I can understand Twilight Sparkle not taking any special treatment, but no one even recognizing her now? I get that mass media in Equestria is not what we have here, and maybe not everyone can recognize her face, but I would think that the wings and the horn should be a pretty glaring tip off.

This is exactly what I was concerned about happening when she became an Alicorn. It seems like the writers only recognize her princesshood when it's convenient to the plot.

One thing I can say is the show is consistent in being inconsistent. I get that they were trying to connect Rarity's act of kindness to the cabbie by having him return the favor. That's fine, but they shouldn't have used Twilight in that scene because it's just too jarring. We can't have ponies yelling "Princess Twilight will know" in one ep and in another "stand in line".