Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Linguz

Has anypony here played the Red Faction games? I've never played any other than Guerrilla and Armageddon, but I love Guerrilla's free world mixed with free destruction. Best combination ever. Then Armageddon has a more concrete story line and throw in the secret weapon (Pony Laser) and it's all the more awesome.

Trust me dude, if you have played the orriginal Red Factions, you would not enjoy the newer ones. Just don't dwell back on the, You will love the old games even more, but you will hate the newer ones.

Trust me dude, if you have played the orriginal Red Factions, you would not enjoy the newer ones. Just don't dwell back on the, You will love the old games even more, but you will hate the newer ones.

I've never played them but I wish I had. The current ones make references to them I don't get sometimes.

I think I'll still love these though. I enjoy blowing up whatever I want.

I've never played them but I wish I had. The current ones make references to them I don't get sometimes.

I think I'll still love these though. I enjoy blowing up whatever I want.

The orriginal was about you breaking out of a mining camp on mars. It was amazing.
  • Brohoof 1

Didn't they go for like $1 or something?

I don't remember. Honestly, I should have bought them but I didn't.

And I'm sure the original's story line was better. But then again, ALL originals are better because they are the originals. Look at CoD for example. How many games? And it's only bought for the new guns in multiplayer.

I don't remember. Honestly, I should have bought them but I didn't. And I'm sure the original's story line was better. But then again, ALL originals are better because they are the originals. Look at CoD for example. How many games? And it's only bought for the new guns in multiplayer.

That is basiacly the point of games now a' days. Although the gears series added new guns only in the 3rd game because it was the last.

• 1 year later...

Hmph, after reading though the thread I will have to play the earlier games, but I have to say I enjoyed Red Faction Armageddon quite a bit. It is the only one I have played, but I will definitely give the older ones a go.

Red Faction on PS2, multiplayer with your best friend. Railgunning all day long. T'was fun.

And if you had a cheat cd it got even better! Infinite explosives. You could carve your own way where ever you wanted. I spent so much time on the original.

The first is by far the best. I still play that one to this very day and own it in all its forms. The GeoMod in that one was such a blast, you could tunnel around checkpoints, drive huge drilling machines, destroy most buildings that were not metal, drop stalagmites onto enemies, cause bridges to fall and watch the tanks/enemies fall to their doom, and so much more. There were missions where you had to ditch your weapons, put a suit on, and walk around the offices to disable security and stuff without getting identified by the guards. If you buy this one, make sure to grab the Pure Faction mod that allows it to run on newer systems, more resolutions, and bug fixes among other things.

The second really disappointed me because you couldn't blow up as much stuff and the story really sucked. It was bad enough it had next to nothing to do with the events that took place in the first, but overall it was just bad.

Guerrilla really only had the open world going for it, and to me it was lacking again in the actual story of Red Faction. Also, IIRC, GeoMod in this one was limited to basically man-made materials and you couldn't go digging a hole into the ground you could never get out of. This is the only one I've yet to finish and idk if I ever will.

Armageddon was a very nice refresh IMHO and I do not get why it received such bad criticism other than people were spoiled by Guerrilla trying to act like other games of the time with the open world and felt the game should have stayed that way. I was thrilled how this one went back to being linear like the original with an actual story that fit the RF story of the first, being back on Mars, and the revamped GeoMod was great. I frikkin loved the weapons in this one and Mr. Toots is hilarious. The addition of the nano-tech stuff was great, being able to rebuild a bridge to cross a gap, then turn around and blow it back up so enemies couldn't follow was awesome and all the extra stuff you could do with it as well was a lot of fun that really added a much better element to the game than open world. In all this one felt much better thought out and developed than the past two. The only gripe I had was that it wasn't first person since I'm not a fan of over-the-shoulder shooters. Also, again, GeoMod was limited to man-made things I believe but it didn't bother me as much as it did in Guerrilla because you could blow up SO much more stuff than that one had. I mean you could level entire "villages" basically, to the point you then had to use your nanites to rebuild it so you could climb some stairs you needed to go up to progress... but that's beside the point! It was a blast.

With how much fun I had with Armageddon and how much I was looking forward to the next installment, I was so irked when I heard that it had been decided that Red Faction was done with and no new games would be coming out for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 1