Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic to last another 5 years

MadDoggyca

It's a great news, but I'm not surprised. OMG, My little pony is one of the most (or THE MOST) popular kids show in this moment.

Besides, "The Simpsons" has over 20 seasons, so why ponies can't?

That's the point. "The Simpsons" is a stale and dated show at this point. MLP sharing a similar outcome would be far from an achievement. 

• Brohoof 1

That's the point. "The Simpsons" is a stale and dated show at this point. MLP sharing a similar outcome would be far from an achievement. 

If you take consistency into the matter, even if the show is in decline now, the first 10 seasons of the Simpsons were really good(same goes with King of the Hill), and 10 seasons of consistent quality is still pretty fucking impressive. This why I don't think we should start worrying

• Brohoof 1

If you take consistency into the matter, even if the show is in decline now, the first 10 seasons of the Simpsons were really good(same goes with King of the Hill), and 10 seasons of consistent quality is still pretty fucking impressive. This why I don't think we should start worrying

The problem is, I'm already seeing a decline with MLP's fourth season. I only remotely approve of 8 of the 14 episodes so far, two of which I've thoroughly enjoyed. I think it's the perfect time to panic for this series' quality. 

The problem is, I'm already seeing a decline with MLP's fourth season. I only remotely approve of 8 of the 14 episodes so far, two of which I've thoroughly enjoyed. I think it's the perfect time to panic for this series' quality.

Aaaaand it's only your opinion, because I found fourth season really amazing.

If nothing else, (when/if) the show does decline the fans will surely step in. I have seen so much fan-made creations, much more than all the other groups I have seen over a much more diverse demographic. I'm sure the fans will take over in a decline.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. I have a very hard time seeing a cartoon for little girls lasting so long. that's what it essentially is people. One that's now as mindless/annoying as most girls' cartoons & more accessible to other people, but a girls' cartoon still.

And those--along with most cartoons--usually last about five years before running out of steam...

Besides, "The Simpsons" has over 20 seasons, so why ponies can't?

Because the Simpsons is worthless now, and has been for years. It used to be a great show, but now it's just a "zombie", shuffling along to fill holes in the time slot, because animation is easier/cheaper than making a live action show, and bad Simpsons is still funnier than almost anything else that premieres that week.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of MLP turning into. Not just it, but any other show that outlived it's welcome... :uhoh:

• Brohoof 1

It'll be great if the show goes on for 5 more years but it'll be a huge blast if it can go on for as long as it can without growing stale somehow and if it can keep up with it's cool storytelling.

If Hasbro really confirmed this piece of news, then I'll be happy.

In my opinion, it's really not.

Rainbow Falls, Daring Don't,  Filli Vanilli, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Power Ponies, and Simple Ways are this season's mediocre-to-absolutely-terrible episodes (in order, might I add). This is nearly half of the episodes aired thus far. If they keep this up, I don't think there's going to be much hope for the rest of this season, let-alone a fifth plus another five years.

I let people snap me out of a blissful stupid coma while watching the Simpsons'

and to be fair i'm sure i would figure out the dip in quality on my own sooner or later.

By the way your listing rainbow falls as the best on that list?  really?

Some people really like rarity takes.

I don't,

but i understand it's something tailor made for a specific niche with in the mlp fan base, and those people were damn happy to get it.

I'm fine with that because I like fan service and or pandering.  Give the fans what they want vs what the writers wanna do?  How insane.

Go watch pro wrestling today and watch a writing staff completely un willing to accommodate their fan base and tell me their better of for it.

I'm gonna wanna see mlp die when their done with it?

Its not like MLP continued existence is a strain or a burden on cartoons. 

It's not like MLP will one day become Nintendo, where it's death will become a welcomed day of celebration as it's usefulness has long out lived itself.

Okay one thing, now that we know the show is going on 5 years,

we have plenty of time for the cmc to get their damn cutie marks.

I didn't want them to before,

but seriously with 5 seasons to work with, that should get wrapped up.

We should get the changeling army back at some time,

find out if scoots can fly or not once and for all,

like with that much time we better get some closure. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to try and stay optimistic, but let's not forget Hasbro is a business. I'm sure they'd pull the plug before five years is up if their revenue declines (i.e. sales of DVDs, iTunes episodes and toys). Bronies are probably to thank for the show's longevity as it is, but if we go, and all that is left is the core audience (children who don't have disposable income of their own) then they'll probably call it quits.

That said, it does provide an incentive to keep delivering a quality show. Hopefully the writers don't burn out.

I have two thoughts on this...

IF they keep the show with the same cast, the CMC and the like....the show WILL get old. There's only so much friendship learning a group of friends can actually do without repeating lessons in regards to the targeted demographic. We have to keep in mind that the targeted demographic will be teenagers by the time this 5 years is through...which goes to show that many of the younger fans will not stay with it. This leads to me to worry that Hasbro may do a whole G1 to 1.5 thing....keep all the characters, but change the setting and make it relevant to preteens/teens....I can't see either of these potential outcomes doing well at all and sadly with Hasbro's history, there's a high chance stagnation or deviation will most likely happen.

IF they grow the characters....Twilight becomes a princess of an actual empire, the rest of the Mane 6 achieve their dreams/goals, and the CMC get their Cutie Marks, we should see a new cast of characters to relearn/learn the magic of friendship. Remember, as I said before, the old fans will grow up and most likely leave the show behind, which will usher in a new set of fans. Teaching the same lessons with different characters AND in different ways will help the show to stay fresh, since new conflicts will arise out of the fact that we have new characters to gravitate towards and learn about how they tick. If they do this type of world building with the same gusto  they have been doing these past 4 seasons, I can see 5 more years of pony being actually awesome and mysterious if they do go this route.

So yeah...there's my two cents on this...personally, I am unsure since there's so little to go on.  I can't expect myself to expect much from Season 5 even since Season 4 is still rolling out....I just don't think it's wise to look far ahead when we have the blessing of what we already have. Plus, Hasbro may not follow through with that if the Brony fandom "grows out" of pony as well as the kids....If they maintain quality (i.e. go the second route I mentioned), then yeah, this is awesome...but let's not jump the gun here...

A five-year extension means that the end of the show will likely be 2018-2019, a good decade-long run, matching Hasbro's pattern of a new generation each decade. It leaves open plenty of time for the show to evolve and to resolve any arcs it currently has open or may open in the future. I personally would have given it another 3 years, but 5 more is long enough to try new things, short enough that we shouldn't worry about a SpongeBob-esque Franchise Zombie run, and will put it at >200 episodes, longer than most other cartoons of this caliber ever get to run. FiM will stand as an everlasting icon of 2010s pop culture, Internet culture, and Western animation done right, and the one thing I hope Friendship is Magic stands for above all else is inspiration for the next generation of great cartoons, hopefully some of which are made by veterans of our community. A set end date is the first step towards preserving this show's legacy of quality for all of time.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Season 4 Is awesome so far and I can't wait to c what season 5 has in store for us.... but 5 years? :huh:   

All I can hope 4 is that The Writers know what they are doing...  :)

Oh and for everypony playing the spongebob Card... -_-  spongebob dropped dramatically in quality when the creator left the show... our creator ( lauren faust. )

left as well.... Back in season 2!!!!!!   and we still have a great show..... that is a big difference. :yay:

Something worth mentioning is that G4 continuing for 5 more years ins't necessarily the same thing as the show continuing for 5 more years. At the same time, popular, established settings and characters are pretty valuable, so it's possible FiM could end but another series set in the same universe could be made. Long story short, Equestria will stay around so long as it makes more money than the other options.

In my opinion, it's really not.

Rainbow Falls, Daring Don't,  Filli Vanilli, Rarity Takes Manehattan, Power Ponies, and Simple Ways are this season's mediocre-to-absolutely-terrible episodes (in order, might I add). This is nearly half of the episodes aired thus far. If they keep this up, I don't think there's going to be much hope for the rest of this season, let-alone a fifth plus another five years.

Opinions differ a lot bro. Rarity Takes Manehatten was actually quite popular, and Daring Don't wasnt mediocre, it wasn't as popular because Daring Do being a real character in their world dosent seem to make sense. Simple Ways also wasn't really bad at all. Rainbow Falls is the only episode on this list that is consistently hated... And for good reason, it has shoty writing, a TERRABLE resolution, it made no sence, and it was basically a recap from flight academy episode.... Season 4 has been very good to us, and has given us the most memorable secondary characters so far.... So it isn't hard to imagine mlp continuing for 3 or more seasons.... But I'm actually predicting a rebranding somewhere in the mix.

To the people making the Spongebob parallel here...

There's one key difference, the reason Spongebob went bad was due to the creator getting tired of it. He wanted the movie the be the big finale but Nick decided to tell him he couldn't end the show. With FiM we have staff and cast that actually love working on it and being a part of it.  

This actually isn't true... SpongeBob's creator is STILL on the show. He works in the capacity of an executive producer; he never actually left, he just relieved himself of his creative duties. It had nothing to do with him growing tired of it. 

The reason SpongeBob went downhill was because the movie WAS supposed to end the series, and Nickelodeon was bad with organization, so by the time they renewed the show for Season 4, the original writing crew for Seasons 1-3 were already gone and on other projects. Consequently, we had a more-or-less new writing crew for post-movie seasons (a lot of Season 4 episodes were leftovers from Season 3 though). 

Sorry to rant, it's just annoying to see people always rag on SpongeBob about how it went down and they don't actually watch it anymore. Season 8 and 9 have actually been very good seasons. I highly recommend Eek An Urchin, Ghoul Fools, The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom, Planet of the Jellyfish, etc. Season 2-3 quality stuff.

• Brohoof 3

Ah, I appreciate the sponge-insight (and I'll make a point to try out some new SpongeBob, too). I doubt something like that would happen here- they appear to manage the staff and their creative roles very well- it's been interesting learning more about it. 

And I agree with Path2Dawn- S4 has been great. I never understand why people feel so negatively about some episodes. But then again, I never understood why people complained about Feeling Pinkie Keen. Altogether, I look forward to where the next season will take us. Each character has continued to develop and I think that only opens up new possibilities. And honestly, I think the writers are talented enough they'll be able to keep finding new stories to tell.

• Brohoof 1