Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The: "New ipad"?

Jibus

(edited)

What do you guys think of the New ipad, yes not joking its not ipad3 its the "new ipad" (first of all awful name)

I hate how the back camera is improved but the front camera is still the same (Seriously who the hell records with an ipad? lol) and the front camera you can use for facetime , skype, ect.

But what I do like is how games on the ipad are improved, has a better resolution and more memory than all gaming consoles but its still not worth the money (Especially if you already own the 1st or 2nd)

Edited by Jibus

Ipads are just not meant for gaming. I don't care how powerfull they are those things are rather cumbersome to play with, least compared to a true handheld device.

Honestly, I'm really sick of all the iPad hype. It's a great device that certainly has its place in the world, and makes for a good eBook reader and decent mobile web browser, but they're trying to pass it off as an "it can do anything!" device now, and I've had devices that can do "everything" much better than the iPad ever will for years - they're called laptops. ;)

[incoming Feldian rant]

The screen resolution of 2048x1536 is absolute overkill, in my opinion, and just an excuse for them to pack a more expensive GPU into the thing and keep the price so high. My 17" EliteBook has a 1920x1200 screen, and it looks every bit as sharp and clear as an iPhone 4's display unless you put your face right up to it. Having a higher resolution than this on a much smaller display really just seems like they've got their R&D priorities backwards.

I'm also sick of all this "the iPad is more powerful than the [insert console or handheld here], so it's the world's greatest gaming device!" bullshit (pardon my French). On paper, the specs are quite marvelous, but the iPad has a few inherent limitations that really make it a rather lousy choice for serious gaming:

• All control has to be via touchscreen or motion control. This works well for some types of games, but many games are really much more comfortable to play with physical, tactile controls. Besides, who wants their hands and fingers covering up half the screen?
  • iOS, by its very design, cannot allow a game to ever utilize the full power of the machine. It is a hugely complex operating system (for mobile devices, anyway) that eats up a good chunk of the device's RAM and processing power at all times. All apps also run in a sandboxed environment, which trades off a lot of performance in the name of security (which is important, as you can install all kinds of different apps on the device). Last I heard, a single app is limited to using no more than 24 MB of RAM at once. This limit might have been increased, but iOS itself is not designed to let a game touch the iPad's bare metal for maximum performance the way an Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Vita, or PC game can.
  • Limited storage space. Many modern video games are anywhere from 6 to 15 GB in size, and some are well past the 20 GB mark. Have fun trying to store 10 huge AAA games like these in 64 GB of memory.
  • Ergonomics. The iPad is neither small enough to be considered "handheld" like the PlayStation Vita or the Nintendo 3DS, nor is it designed to be set down on a table and used comfortably like a laptop. Grab an iPad and spend two hours playing on it, then try a traditional gaming handheld or console controller (both of which are roughly the same size). The difference in how you feel after your gaming session should be quite obvious.
That's my little rant there. Personally, I cannot stand it when people say that the iPad is the future of gaming, because it has so many limitations as a platform that make it extremely unfit for that purpose. Even if file size and iOS's architecture weren't an issue, could you imagine playing 200 hours of Skyrim or The Legend of Zelda with nothing but a touchscreen?

If you have an iPad, more power to you. But if you think of it as the only gaming device you'll ever need, please give the dedicated platforms an honest chance and compare the quality of the gaming experience they provide. Personally, I think you're better off spending $600 on a good laptop rather than an iPad - it will be a much more capable and still relatively portable device.

• Brohoof 11

I typically don't recommend apple products because of the durability, but the ipad isn't too bad when it comes to web surfing/facetime and ibook reading. Outside of that I dont really think it's useful, just my take on it though.

People regard the iPad as the future of gaming? That's rudimentarily hilarious.

What a bunch of casuals.

I echo all of Feld0's points, most especially the one regarding the awkward "middle of the road" feel that the iPad possesses when being used for gaming. I've had firsthand experience with one and, hell, it kills your hands after a while for a game that probably isn't as fun or well-developed as anything available on the 3DS or PlayStation Vita.

Personally, I find buying an iPad to be an adventure in frivolity. It's "cool," sure, but not the most pragmatic device when considering what it's been advertised as as of late.

• Brohoof 1

As much as I'm an iOS fanboy... This sucks. It's just a tiny upgrade of the iPad2.

Ever since Steve Jobs' passing, the company has been lazy and-quite frankly-greedier then before. The 4S announcement was facepalm worthy. Not so much the presentation, but the actual device. I pity those who waited 18 months for an iPhone 5 and instead got an iPhone 4 with an upgraded camera and a gimmicky voice command service.

The new iPad seems good, but it doesn't seem to be a huge step up from the iPad 2. The retina display and improved camera are nice features, but there isn't anything on it that makes me wish I'd waited to get the new model instead of buying one in December. As for the whole gaming debate, I think that iPads are great if you're looking for a small, light device to browse the web or watch films on. However, I do not consider my iPad to be a gaming device. There are some great games which really use the full power of the device, such as Infinity Blade and there are plenty of other fun games which are reasonably priced. When it comes the games you can get on the likes of the 3DS and PS Vita, the iPad is no match.

All in all, if you mainly want a device to browse the web on, then the iPad is great. If you want a handheld gaming device, get the 3DS or Vita.

I like to think with the name they will run into naming problems we had in days gone by. When we had "Advanced Technology" then later "Extended Technology" And eventually you'll find out that it even gets better than that. So the name "new iPad" is just stupid. Because you know that eventually Apple will want to make a followup. Unless they think the world will end this December.