Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Vokun Rith

I was going to write a book that had to do with my own mlp characters. I need help to figure out if it could be considered copyright because I'm using mlp ponies with cutie marks and unicorns, pegisi, and earth pony. But these would all be made up by me, there would not be any that are from the show. If you know anything on this subject I would greatly appreciate the help!

You will run into problems if you are setting the story in Equestria, as that is without a doubt copyright  of Hasbro (and probably registered trademark).  As will be the term Cutiemark, Ponyville, cloudsdale. ect and so on.

More so if you are intending to publish and sell this story. Not-for-profit fan work is one thing, but if you are intending to make money from their intellectual property then you will find yourself talking with Hasbro's lawyers!! The OC Ponies may be yours, but the setting and universe of MLP:FiM are theirs. While most companies will tolerate fan works they will draw the line if you try and make money without cutting them in on it!!

by not for profit I mean you are not allowed to make money from it..  you can charge to cover the cost of publication but that's about it (and the lawyers will be happier if you are out of pocket come the end) And even then if you are charging money even just to help recoup costs then it is Still best to get permission from the owner of the IP rather than get slapped with a 'cease and desist' notice or worse.

If you ARE intending to publish for profit then I would highly recommend looking into get an agent. they will help steer and protect your ass through these shark infested waters!!

My friends and I used to produce an Anime fanzine (animace) and for  our Saurai Pizza Cats Doshinshi (fan comic) we asked, and got, permission from Saban International to use their IP in a fan-strictly-not-for-profit capacity. 

hope that helps

• Brohoof 2

One thing i don't understand is why you don't just publish this online via fimfiction? That's how the community writes about the show and there's no costs or profit affiliated. If you're trying to buck that trend then that's a pretty lofty goal and there's reasons why people don't do so. Why would anyone buy a book about original oc's when there's plenty of great literature about MLP specific storylines free and online?

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Onne thing i don't understand is why you don't just publish this online via fimfiction?  That's how the community writes about the show and there's no costs or profit affiliated. If you're trying to buck that trend then that's a pretty lofty goal and there's reasons why people don't do so. Why would anyone buy a book about original oc's when there's plenty of great literature about MLP specific storylines free and online?

actually you're very right! The only reason I was asking these questions was because, my mom thought it would be a good idea but she didn't know about the copyright situation. I rather just do it for fun! I mean I can always do commissions!  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

In that case, just use FiMfiction. Your mom is right about the overall concern over using another organization's intellectual property, but most big media corporations understand and appreciate the purpose (and brand recognition) of fan fiction.

• Brohoof 1