Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Beginner's Guide to Roleplaying

Finesthour

I have been an avid role player for many years, so I have seen all kinds of role players, experienced and non-experienced.And since we have been seeing many new members join in the role plays, but they have no idea how to do it and end up leaving in frustration. And since, I have taught many ponies on this site how to role play.

Slendermane has given me the idea to set up a thread to teach new members, we can finally get more people intrested in the rp.

So firstly here is an example of what NOT to do- (I will be using my role play character to explain)

I saw someone and walked up to them. Hi, how are you doing. I mean, uh. Damn, why did I say that.

Here is an example of what you SHOULD do.

Daisy walked up to the pony in the corner.

"Hi, how are you doing. I saw you were in the corner by yourself, and thought you could use some company."

Daisy sat down beside the pony.

*I hope we can become friends.*

Which leads me to the next way to correctly role play.

Actions, speaking, and thinking.

When you do an action, it is best to space out what you do, as to not cause confusion. If you noticed the difference between the two I did, you can see the spacing.

I saw someone and walked up to them. Hi, how are you doing. I mean, uh. Damn, why did I say that.

"Hi, how are you doing. I saw you were in the corner by yourself, and thought you could use some company."

Notice how the spacing makes the post easy to read, and easy to respond to, as apposed to the incorrect version.

Onto the next matter-

Speaking.

To show that you are speaking, you need to make it clear to the reader. I simple quotation mark will do.

Notice how the quotaion clearly shows that the pony is speaking, and spaces it out from the rest of the post so it is clear to the reader and the response will have a better outcome.

Onto the matter of-

Thoughts.

There is alot of ways to expose thoughts in a role play. One example could be to use the star found on the number 8 key on your keyboard. Another example could also be to use Italic to show thoughts, or both if you so choose.

Notice how easy it shows that you are speaking, and spaces out from the rest of the post so it is easily shown.

Extra things that can go along with a role-play.

If you are a busy pony like me and own more than one character, you can use the COLOR SCHEME to show more than one character speaking at once.

Example:

Daisy walked up to shy flower who was against the wall.

"What is wrong shy? Is something troubling you?"

Shy looked down at tried not to make eye contact.

"It... it is none of your concern Daisy."

Notice how you can change the color to show which character is talking, and sometimes you do not even need to show who is talking if the person you are role playing with has seen the color before.

A helpfull rule from the mind Of Slendermane-

For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) A ninja post is when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours. This usually happens when there are a lot of members trying to post at the same time. What should you do?

It really depends on the posts themselves. Personally, if a ninja post contradicts my own post, I will quickly try to edit my post and salvage what I can. If it is unsalvageable, I will delete my post and try to make a new one.

Generall rules for the Role Play-

Each thread of the role play can have their own rules and such, but there are some that are just general speaking rules.

1.You may not control another characters actions unless you have permissions.

2.Do not use the thread as a chat function. It just clutters things up.

3.If you wish to ask a question in the thread regarding another player, use the OOC:

What the OOC: is, abbreviated, Out of Character. You can say whatever you want when you are doing it, and you could also use Paranthesis to show Out of character.

Now if any ponies need help with any role playing needs, feel free to use this thread to recieve help from me. Don't feel shy either as you are not the only ones who need help.

Edited by Finesthour
  • Brohoof 6

XD at topic title. Anyways, thanx for the tips.

You're welcome :D

Thanks, maybe I'll finally start RP'ing ;)

You better!

These are some mighty fine tips, m8. Thankies ;)

You're welcome!
  • Brohoof 3

Well, this is a pretty good guide to beginning role playing, but... just for that. Beginning. For a long lasting literate RP, some of these rules would never work. I'll use your example, if you don't mind.

This is an okay post at best, but it doesn't really reveal much of whats going on, what the other pony was doing, or much of anything. And * should almost never appear in an RP, let alone symbolize thought.

Daisy went over to the snack table and poured herself a glass of punch, as she gazed over the party. Everypony seemed to be enjoying themselves, it made Daisy smile. She was glad that she was able to throw a decent party.

Then she noticed a pony that seemed to of secluded herself in the corner. The pony was a pegasus, and was just awkwardly looking at everypony. Daisy frowned a bit. She could tell the pegasus wasn't having as much fun as every other pony here. Maybe she didn't know anypony here at the party?

Daisy then slowly trotted over to the lonely grey pegasus. "Um... Hi." Daisy said. "I'm Daisy, the pony throwing this party. I noticed you were in this corner by yourself, and I thought you could use some company." The unicorn said, smiling. "Would you mind telling me your name?"

'Hmmm... I don't know why I haven't met this pony before, I know everypony that lives here in Fillydelphia. Maybe she just moved here?' The unicorn thought. 'Oh well, I'm sure we'll become good friends by the time this party is over!'

As you can tell, I simply added more details. But those details quickly added up, and revealed to the reader much more then the other post did. We now know not only where these ponies are, but we know even more about Daisy, what she was doing, what she is, and how she acts. Oh, and ' ' are what are commonly used to indicate thought. While " " are used to indicate speech.

Sorry if I sound a bit like a dick here.

Edited by Tom the Rock
  • Brohoof 2

Well it says tips on how to roleplay. Not once did I ever say it was for the advanced member, now did I?

Can you truthfully say that everyone here is an experienced veteran? No.

So do I expect people to post a page long post. No, and I would rather not.

For what you are wanted would require every single pony to respond with extreme detail, and I have been on a site that had rules for that. It is a terrible way to role play. Length is NOT what makes a post good.

Besides, the details you added add nomore to the story, does it?

And also, what do you know about role playing that says "YOU CANNOT USE THE STAR."

That is what more people use than the Italic. So don't try to tell me what is what I should do with my posts with the experience I have had.

And try to give me an example of a ' ' anywhere at all?

Oh and if would never work, go to the medieval rpg.

Well it says tips on how to roleplay. Not once did I ever say it was for the advanced member, now did I?

Can you truthfully say that everyone here is an experienced veteran? No.

So do I expect people to post a page long post. No, and I would rather not.

For what you are wanted would require every single pony to respond with extreme detail, and I have been on a site that had rules for that. It is a terrible way to role play. Length is NOT what makes a post good.

Besides, the details you added add nomore to the story, does it?

And also, what do you know about role playing that says "YOU CANNOT USE THE STAR."

That is what more people use than the Italic. So don't try to tell me what is what I should do with my posts with the experience I have had.

And try to give me an example of a ' ' anywhere at all?

Oh and if would never work, go to the medieval rpg.

No, of course everyone here is not an experienced veteran. But if somepony wanted to improve and try something more advanced, these tips wouldn't be too helpful.

And I have no idea where the logic of 'detailed posts = bad RP' comes from. The reason most forums only allow more detailed RPs is because it contributes more to the RP, makes it more engaging, and keeps it from becoming a spam fest. Detail is usually what does make a post good.

And the details I added gives the reader an impression of the setting and atmosphere, and gives more detail about the character Daisy. It offers much more information then the original.

And the reason * are not used is simply because its poor grammar. * are usually there to indicate footnotes, censor profanity in some cases, or symbolize the jump to a different scene. And RPs usually need good grammar to do well.

And turns out I was wrong about ' ' to symbolize thought. You just need to use " " like normal, but make sure to say its a thought at the end of the sentence. Of course, you can always use italics, but because italics symbolize other things, its better not to do so to avoid confusion.

No, of course everyone here is not an experienced veteran. But if somepony wanted to improve and try something more advanced, these tips wouldn't be too helpful. And I have no idea where the logic of 'detailed posts = bad RP' comes from. The reason most forums only allow more detailed RPs is because it contributes more to the RP, makes it more engaging, and keeps it from becoming a spam fest. Detail is usually what does make a post good. And the details I added gives the reader an impression of the setting and atmosphere, and gives more detail about the character Daisy. It offers much more information then the original. And the reason * are not used is simply because its poor grammar. * are usually there to indicate footnotes, censor profanity in some cases, or symbolize the jump to a different scene. And RPs usually need good grammar to do well. And turns out I was wrong about ' ' to symbolize thought. You just need to use " " like normal, but make sure to say its a thought at the end of the sentence. Of course, you can always use italics, but because italics symbolize other things, its better not to do so to avoid confusion.

Ok there is something you are clearly not understanding. Role Play And fanfictions are two different things. Why the hell would we need to know where Daisy came from? How would that help further the story in any way shape or form?

And what you are saying is that every tiny person wants to become "Suber uber amazinf rp'er". If you want to become a better role player, it takes practice. Not trying to pretend you are the best every by posting a page long action. That would be a fan fiction. there is a reason I left the Rp sites that made you do stuff like that. NOTHING GOT DONE. It was always describing the most stupid crap that doe snot protain to any story. How would a character saying where they were born protain to anything? It dosen't, that is why. And as I said, DETAIL DOE SNOT MAKE A GOOD POST. If we wanted to do it your way, it would be like this,

Daisy asked a simple question.-

500 text later it is answered as yes.

that does not make a good Rp, that just makes it to where NO ONE wants to roleplay because you are trying to make a story out of it. Role playing is playing a role, not writing a freking book.

Umm... I'm sorry tom, but what the hell are you talking about?

Yes, good grammar should be used when RPing, but saying peoe shouldn't use stars to indicate thought because stars are used for footnotes is kinda stupid. I don't think I've ever seen footnotes used in an RP. As long as you are consistent in what you use to differentiate thought from speech and normal text, and everybody else understands it, it doesn't really matter what you use.

Using quotation marks and then just saying it was a thought would be more confusing than stars or italics because quotation marks are already used for speech. Yes, italics are technically used to emphasize things, but many RPers and even books and stuff use italics to indicate thought.

Also, awesome thread finest. If I were you, I'd thrown in something about going OOC and using parentheses and what not.

Umm... I'm sorry tom, but what the hell are you talking about? Yes, good grammar should be used when RPing, but saying peoe shouldn't use stars to indicate thought because stars are used for footnotes is kinda stupid. I don't think I've ever seen footnotes used in an RP. As long as you are consistent in what you use to differentiate thought from speech and normal text, and everybody else understands it, it doesn't really matter what you use. Using quotation marks and then just saying it was a thought would be more confusing than stars or italics because quotation marks are already used for speech. Yes, italics are technically used to emphasize things, but many RPers and even books and stuff use italics to indicate thought. Also, awesome thread finest. If I were you, I'd thrown in something about going OOC and using parentheses and what not.

I want to, but it will not let me edit it.

And thanks for seeing my confusion about what tom is posting :D

Tom's being silly. I've never seen " " used for thoughts. Even in books. It's always italics in books and I've seen * * be used when RPing. If I had to spend ten minutes reading a single post, I'd never role play. I want to read what happens and be able to reply within a minute, not spend ten minutes reading what happened over ten seconds in the RP.

Tom's being silly. I've never seen " " used for thoughts. Even in books. It's always italics in books and I've seen * * be used when RPing. If I had to spend ten minutes reading a single post, I'd never role play. I want to read what happens and be able to reply within a minute, not spend ten minutes reading what happened over ten seconds in the RP.

My point exactly.

Nice thread, Finest. I wouldn't pay too much mind to Tom's little indiscretion if I were you . You can RP however you want to, as long as you stay consistent. This guide will definitely help a lot of new ponies join into RPing if they didn't understand the basics. They can pick up a better understanding of Role Playing as they actually participate.

I haven't RPed in a few years... Maybe I'll create an OC and RP sometime soon.

Nice thread, Finest. I wouldn't pay too much mind to Tom's little indiscretion if I were you . You can RP however you want to, as long as you stay consistent. This guide will definitely help a lot of new ponies join into RPing if they didn't understand the basics. They can pick up a better understanding of Role Playing as they actually participate. I haven't RPed in a few years... Maybe I'll create an OC and RP sometime soon.

Lol if you haven't noticed, he hasn't responded. So I wouldn't really worry about it :P

And also, do it. We could always use more people in the rp section.

Great tips. I would just like to add a couple of my own tips, if you don't mind.

First of all, how to deal with Ninjas :ph34r: .

For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) a ninja post is when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours. This usually happens when there are a lot of members trying to post at the same time. What should you do?

It really depends on the posts themselves. Personally, if a ninja post contradicts my own post, I will quickly try to edit my post and salvage what I can. If it is unsalvageable, I will delete my post and try to make a new one.

Second, I usually use italics for thought and (parenthesis) for Out of Character (O.C.) posts, but that is just my personal preference. It really doesn't matter what you use, as long as the reader can understand what you mean and you are consistent. It would be really confusing if you use italics for both thoughts and O.C. posts.

Edited by Slendermane

Great tips. I would just like to add a couple of my own tips, if you don't mind. First of all, how to deal with Ninjas :ph34r: . For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours. This usually happens when there are a lot of members trying to post at the same time. What should you do? It really depends on the posts themselves. Personally, if a ninja post contradicts my own post, I will quickly try to edit my post and salvage what I can. If it is unsalvageable, I will delete my post and try to make a new one.

I am going to add that.

I'm glad to help when I can, even if it isn't much help. I just have one criticism with you quoting me.

"For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours."

You forgot to actually say ninja. I would say,

"For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) a ninja post is when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours."

It is mostly my fault it ended up that way. Sorry to nitpick, but that part of the post seemed a little confusing.

Edited by Slendermane

I'm glad to help when I can, even if it isn't much help. I just have one criticism with you quoting me. "For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours." You forgot to actually say ninja. I would say, "For those who don't know, (like I didn't when I got started) a ninja post is when you are trying to post something, but someone else beats you to it and their post is ahead of yours." Sorry to nitpick, but that part of the post seemed a little confusing.

Lol not a problem. Fixed.

Lol if you haven't noticed, he hasn't responded. So I wouldn't really worry about it :P

I was busy, and unable to get to a computer.

Ok there is something you are clearly not understanding. Role Play And fanfictions are two different things. Why the hell would we need to know where Daisy came from? How would that help further the story in any way shape or form?

And what you are saying is that every tiny person wants to become "Suber uber amazinf rp'er". If you want to become a better role player, it takes practice. Not trying to pretend you are the best every by posting a page long action. That would be a fan fiction. there is a reason I left the Rp sites that made you do stuff like that. NOTHING GOT DONE. It was always describing the most stupid crap that doe snot protain to any story. How would a character saying where they were born protain to anything? It dosen't, that is why. And as I said, DETAIL DOE SNOT MAKE A GOOD POST. If we wanted to do it your way, it would be like this,

Daisy asked a simple question.-

500 text later it is answered as yes.

that does not make a good Rp, that just makes it to where NO ONE wants to roleplay because you are trying to make a story out of it. Role playing is playing a role, not writing a freking book.

Actually, RPs and Fanfics aren't that different. Both tell stories. The mane difference is that instead of a single person writing it and calling the shots, multiple ponies control multiple characters. And knowing more about Daisy would be pretty essential in a character driven RP. And besides, even in a story driven RP, the characters should still be interesting.

And I will be dead honest, in all my time on any website ever, the RPs that last longer and ponies clearly enjoyed were the ones that had several paragraphs. The ones that only had short posts and chat-box-esque replys were the ones that either died in a week, or turned into a spam/flame war. There were a few that finished, but they were in the minority.

And I still don't see how detail is so bad. Its detail that makes the post more vivid and appealing. Heck, detail makes everything more appealing, characters, settings, etc. For example, which movie would you be more inclined to watch?

A dad is separated from his son and must travel a long ways with an annoying sidekick to get him back.

Or

When Marlin, a father clownfish who can be a bit over-protective, loses his son Nemo to some divers, he must travel across the ocean with his forgetful-but-lovable sidekick Dory, overcoming hazards such as sharks, mines, deep sea monstrosities, and more, so he can be reunited with his son.

Obviously, they are both the same movie. But the second one was much more descriptive, and paints a more detailed image, and reveals details that we would not of known before, like what obstacles he'll face, his name, and the fact that the characters are fish.

But oh well, we clearly both have different preferences on RPs, and by now, you probably think 'm some evil jerkass who sits at my the bottom of the ocean evil base,

typing these posts.