Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP fan fics that take place in a separate universe

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

Have any of you come across any fan fics that instead of taking place in any existing universes in MLP, they take place in their own universe with established characters nowhere to be found. The only thing MLP about them being the recurring traits found throughout the franchise such as having ponies, pegasi, unicorns, alicorns with cutie marks, other equines as well as mythological creatures which gives the universe the fantasy theme the franchise has always been running on. (Humans are optional.) As if it were a separate gen of the franchise you could say.

This would obviously mean that the author would need to build this universe and the characters pretty much from scratch.

I'm doubtful many if any have encountered such fan fics but what do you think of the idea in itself?

As for what I would say about it; it just might be interesting. It definitely requires much more effort than more common fan fics and could make for an engaging story if pulled off right. Though I suppose the main obstacles would lie in how approachable such fics would be since fan fics that take place in established settings don't have much need for really getting you up to speed with anything.

What do you think?

It can work. But you need to be a very good writer to make it stand out. The point of a fanfic is to use established characters from a show in ways never before seen in canon. It loses a lot of the impact if your ties to the original franchise are as tenuous as only borrowing loose overreaching world elements. Why didn't you just write an original story with your idea? My take on it.

I think I would want to see something like that, it has to be done correctly and done by a very acclaimed writer. If the fan fiction can tell us about the universe, give us memorable characters, and something that gives the story charm then we'll see.

I have a fan fic on just that (though it not here), called MLP:FIM - Element of Distortion.   Its about a Distortion God, who alters Equestria into different dimensions, and one of them involves the human world.  Not gonna spoil the rest.