Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark magic in MLP fan club

Gatekeeper Giggle

Sombra maybe weaker due to age. Being sealed away will do that to you.

I don't think that was age so much as basically getting chubby around the mid-section from lack of exercise. I say he's weaker because even before hand, Celestia and Luna blasted him into the ice

If anything, her time with dark magic has allowed her to alter her form into something that in a better lack of words, would be considered demonic.

She admitted herself in Rainbow Rocks that she turned into "a raging she-demon" 

I don't think that was age so much as basically getting chubby around the mid-section from lack of exercise. I say he's weaker because even before hand, Celestia and Luna blasted him into the ice

First off, King Sombra was not just 'blasted' by Celestia and Luna. He was sealed away by the Elements of Harmony. Secondly, the power of magic can be weakened by age if it's not used for along time and when that happens, the magic will need to rebuild itself. Magic cannot stay at one level of power always, it can wane due to the fact that magic is part of a organism's life force. The more life force you have, the more magic you possess. The weaker your life force is, the weaker your magic is. Another key point is that King Sombra wasn't in a solid Corporal state. That can contribute to magic loss being without a body, thus making you magic much more limited.

First off, King Sombra was not just 'blasted' by Celestia and Luna. He was sealed away by the Elements of Harmony.

Really? When was that said? I didn't see the Elements there

Secondly, the power of magic can be weakened by age if it's not used for along time and when that happens, the magic will need to rebuild itself. Magic cannot stay at one level of power always, it can wane due to the fact that magic is part of a organism's life force. The more life force you have, the more magic you possess. The weaker your life force is, the weaker your magic is

That's what I meant, kind of like someone losing muscle mass from lack of exercise

Really? When was that said? I didn't see the Elements there

It wasn't outright mentioned but it was obvious though. The Elements of Harmony are a force that are used to seal away dark forces. They may of used them to seal him away into the Ice. Keep in mind that when Celestia and Luna sealed him away, he was still in his body till he was cast into the ice. There could of been alternate magic they could of used to seal him away but my guess is the Elements of Harmony since they usually are what is used to seal away villains.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

@,

I simply got the impression that he was simply outright blasted with their own power, due to lack of rainbows and stuff. 

It is possible. I cannot outright deny that it could of been their own raw magic but your guess is good as mine on that one. Though I think I do remember seeing the elements of Harmony in that image shown of Celestia and Luna facing Sombra. Meh, it's either that or my memory is going bad.

• Brohoof 1

It is possible. I cannot outright deny that it could of been their own raw magic but your guess is good as mine on that one. Though I think I do remember seeing the elements of Harmony in that image shown of Celestia and Luna facing Sombra. Meh, it's either that or my memory is going bad.

tumblr_mcy80cgRDH1rpb34po1_500.png

Nope, no elements or anything resembling theme

Well I'll chalk it down to my memory going bad then. I could of sworn they used the elements but I may of confused the Discord and Sombra art. Which in this case maybe be true. Well, I'll be damned. I guess they did use their raw power on Sombra, talk about powerful.

I thought they used the elements too to be honest. 

But I love the element of dark magic. Mainly because harmony is good and all, but I tend to like it better when it's balanced than being overly good. I think we need more evil in the world. I'm kind of forgetting it's a kids show meant to sell toys, and i'm not exactly the target audience, but still. I also LOVED it when Twilight used dark magic to reveal the path to the Crystal Heart in the Season 3 Premiere. I mean how you understand how to cast dark magic just by watching someone do it once is kind of weird but still I love that scene, and the door to your worst fear.

But I love the element of dark magic. Mainly because harmony is good and all, but I tend to like it better when it's balanced than being overly good. I think we need more evil in the world. I'm kind of forgetting it's a kids show meant to sell toys, and i'm not exactly the target audience, but still. I also LOVED it when Twilight used dark magic to reveal the path to the Crystal Heart in the Season 3 Premiere. I mean how you understand how to cast dark magic just by watching someone do it once is kind of weird but still I love that scene, and the door to your worst fear.

The thing is Twilight is Celestia ace student. She maybe able to understand Dark Magic on a basic level since casting it is like cast light magic only with the corrupting side effects. Twilight was able to do basic dark magic spells due to her advanced skills with light magic. As both light and dark magic have some kind of base casting skill to them. If you can cast light magic, chances are you can cast dark magic. 

• Brohoof 1

The thing is Twilight is Celestia ace student. She maybe able to understand Dark Magic on a basic level since casting it is like cast light magic only with the corrupting side effects. Twilight was able to do basic dark magic spells due to her advanced skills with light magic. As both light and dark magic have some kind of base casting skill to them. If you can cast light magic, chances are you can cast dark magic. 

I don't remember Twilight ever casting "Light" magic or that light magic was ever mentioned in the show 

Then again I have a bad memory apparently.

According to Zecora, it's not dark magic, it's alicorn magic. Which makes Sunset Shimmer make more sense(She wanted to become an alicorn, used alicorn magic) but complicates Sombra

That's the thing, dark magic is something so forbidden that Alicorns maybe the only ones allowed to used it as they can use it properly. When a unicorn uses such powerful magic, it can drive them to insanity and even worse corrupt them. Dark Magic is a forbidden art for a reason.

I don't remember Twilight ever casting "Light" magic or that light magic was ever mentioned in the show 

Light magic is basically the magic all the unicorns and alicorns cast commonly in the show. I just label it as light magic as it makes it easier to explain and separate from dark magic.

• Brohoof 1

That's the thing, dark magic is something so forbidden that Alicorns maybe the only ones allowed to used it as they can use it properly. When a unicorn uses such powerful magic, it can drive them to insanity and even worse corrupt them. Dark Magic is a forbidden art for a reason.

Twilight used it pre-ascension

Another thing for this thread is the Adagio, Sonata's, and Aria's hypnosis and energy drain magic, which was outright said to be dark magic.

Well hypnosis in real life magic standards would be more or less illusion magic. But since IRL magic and the magic of MLP are in separate laws, I guess I would see it being marked as Dark Magic. Energy Drain magic is typically always seen as Dark in some form as it's leaching kind of magic.

More power-level arguments?

Celestia, I need a drink.

berry_punch_carrying_pints_of_apple_cide

Hey, look on the bright side. At least no pony is doing a "It's over 9000!" gag on here. Great now that I said that, I'm sure someone will. Yay for me... :maud:

I'm pretty sure if there's more dark magic than the stuff we've already seen in the MLP world. Considering the Inspiration Manifestation was buried in the castle of the two sisters, it's likely that Celestia and Luna destroyed, hid, or disposed of anybody and anything related to dark magic. Shame... I would really like to see a wider range of spells, especially hell class(read: dark/forbidden) spells. But that would require the princesses to do something.  >_>

(Or fight somebody on their level, which is just as unlikely.)

So far, here's stuff that looks exactly like, or is confirmed to be dark magic

Demon Shimmer, Sombra, Twilight, Celestia, the Dazzlings

Stuff that looks like dark magic is

Alicorn Amulet, The Book, Discord

The thing is, Celestia is the only known pony of the Good side, Twilight aside, which seems to have a great understanding of Dark Magic. It has yet to be seen that Luna uses it and may as well not. Luna's specialty is dreams but that kind of magic isn't exactly dark or evil unless it's used for the wrong purposes.

Discord may very well have a variation of dark magic. He is the lord of chaos after all.

• 2 months later...

Well if you think of dark magic as I see it or as it is show they all had pretenses of A doing something bad or B shaping the world to fit them as us humans have done so there dark magic is human adaption ????post-31314-0-15787300-1419824935.jpgpost-31314-0-82866900-1419824945.jpgpost-31314-0-96656400-1419824962_thumb.jpg

I added to many pictures. Oh well life goes on.

Actually, Discord's magic might be dark as well

img-2959662-1-discord-magic.png

Same color at least, thought the texture is different

The thing is Discord only used to change the world to entertain himself. You never really see him use his magic for any other reason proving both of our points.

• Brohoof 2