Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Why superhero movies suck

BreakingJesse

(edited)

YOU sir, have THUROUGHLY offened me!

Captain America is a god.

Lol

"Captain America" and "god" don't even have one letter in common.

And that puts Captain America way below Goat Simulator.

Edited by Dowlphin

"Captain America" and "god" don't even have one letter in common.

And that puts Captain America way below Goat Simulator.

I dont need to justify my love to you, or anyone else. So there. *pout*

Have you watched The Winter Soldier? I ask because it seems to me that you missed out on how it managed to subvert a good deal of the standard superhero movie tropes. The film is far from unnecessary in its own context (i.e., the Marvel Cinematic Universe), and I dare say it is a damn fine film all on its own.

It isn't at all surprising that Marvel is going to keep making movies. The Avengers alone is the third highest grossing movie of all-time. The genre is far from dead. If studios keep making movies on par with The Avengers, The Dark Knight, X-Men: First Class, and The Winter Soldier, I'll be happy to line their pockets with my cash.

• Brohoof 2

You want to know why superhero movies almost ALWAYS suck?

This is how Hollywood sees us:

bank-break-hammer.jpg

They don't care if they get the continuity or the characters right. They don't care if they completely change an important aspect of your favorite comic for the sake of God-knows-what-the-f*ck. They don't even care if you're outraged that Justin Beiber plays Batman.

All they know is that, through all of our understandable b*tching and moaning, we'll still pay to see it, and million of other people will too.

It isn't at all surprising that Marvel is going to keep making movies. The Avengers alone is the third highest grossing movie of all-time. The genre is far from dead. If studios keep making movies on par with The Avengers, The Dark Knight, X-Men: First Class, and The Winter Soldier, I'll be happy to line their pockets with my cash.

Meh, I found First Class and Avengers to be the kind of movies that are what's wrong with superhero movies. The movies were shallow, mediocrely executed, and threw out a lot of what had already been established in previous movies. I found them to both be simply average, with absolutely nothing special about either one. 

Overrated or not, doesn't mean they suck, I personally liked the sequels that Marvel Studios released but that's because I've always been a fan of Marvel xD 

The recent movies aren't bad, they could be worse so I'm pretty glad I enjoyed them. These movies will always do well no matter what and I'll keep paying to watch them.

After all, I just want to have fun and spend time with family and friends, the movie is only half the fun x) If it has a decent story line, good acting, believable effects, etc, then the movie is good to me >u<

They don't care if they get the continuity or the characters right. They don't care if they completely change an important aspect of your favorite comic for the sake of God-knows-what-the-f*ck. They don't even care if you're outraged that Justin Beiber plays Batman.

All they know is that, through all of our understandable b*tching and moaning, we'll still pay to see it, and million of other people will too.

Which is why Justin Bieber is currently slated to play Batman. :huh:

I wouldn't deny the studios are trying to make money -- that's a core goal of the movie industry! -- but let's also acknowledge that some things in comic books do not always translate well into movies. They have two and half hours (three if you're Christopher Nolan) to tell a story -- not everything can be included. And frankly speaking, not everything should: I honestly have zero interest in watching Batman die and get sent back to the Stone Age so he can fight his way through time. Comic books themselves are hardly the standard bearers of consistency, nor is the comic industry immune to dumb stunts for the sake of money.

If the movie adaptations of comic books were completely and unwaveringly faithful to their source material, they wouldn't make a lick of sense.

Meh, I found First Class and Avengers to be the kind of movies that are what's wrong with superhero movies. The movies were shallow, mediocrely executed, and threw out a lot of what had already been established in previous movies. I found them to both be simply average, with absolutely nothing special about either one.

In some respects, to each his or her own; however, First Class was a reboot, so I hardly expect it to follow in the same footsteps as the X-Men trilogy. I'm not sure how The Avengers threw out continuity.

• Brohoof 1

The only superhero movie i ever actually enjoyed was Spider man (not that shitty new one if spiderman needs a magic watch to shoot webs, well that ruins it for me) as for the rest of the DC/Marvel superhero movies i feel i'm putting more effort into watching then they did making it.

I'm not sure how The Avengers threw out continuity.

Hank Pym was not in it. Y'know...the founding member... 

Which is why Justin Bieber is currently slated to play Batman.

That is a joke, Shepard. :P

I honestly have zero interest in watching Batman die and get sent back to the Stone Age so he can fight his way through time.

You cold-hearted fiend. That's the epitomy of bada$$. 

I wouldn't deny the studios are trying to make money -- that's a core goal of the movie industry! -- but let's also acknowledge that some things in comic books do not always translate well into movies. They have two and half hours (three if you're Christopher Nolan) to tell a story -- not everything can be included.

Something as easy as "SUpermanalways avoids property damage and collaterla damage when he cans" or "Superman never kills, not even if it'll make the world easier to protect" is not that hard to follow...

AND is compeltely thrown out in MOS.

• Brohoof 1

In some respects, to each his or her own; however, First Class was a reboot, so I hardly expect it to follow in the same footsteps as the X-Men trilogy. I'm not sure how The Avengers threw out continuity.

I actually had no idea First Class was a reboot. My friends and I are huge comics nerds and we've been thinking it was a prequel this whole time.  :blink:

And Avengers did by the Bifrost conveniently being fixed. Thor desperately wanted to return to Jane, so shouldn't he have used the Bifrost as soon as it was fixed and not wait for Loki to start causing havoc before he returns to Earth?  :huh:  Also, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and the retcon of the Hulk design. If Avengers is in the same MCU as The Incredible Hulk, shouldn't the big mean green machine look more like this and less like this

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner was sh*t, by the way.

Edward Norton is best Hulk.

Anyone here ever seen Defendor?

The single most original Super Hero movie I have ever seen.

Plus...Woody Harrelson. :D

• Brohoof 1

Personally I feel that comic book characters belong in comics alone due to the massive character development they undertake. Fitting hundreds of issues worth of development and action into 1-2 hours of footage leaves the heroes feeling somewhat shallow.

An exception to this was the Nolan Batman trilogy. I felt that was very well made.

• Brohoof 1

I like most superhero movies actually, particularly the Marvel ones since they tend to be connected and the Dark Knight trilogy. They tend to have a good mix of action and storytelling if you ask me, different tastes are different though I suppose. :P

I'll concede that I did not really like the recent Amazing Spider-Man and Man of Steel though- ASM was too soon of a reboot imo along with a horribly miscasted lead(if you ask me), and MoS was too violent for a Superman film and too confusing(then again I haven't seen too many other Supermans, not a huge fan of him). :huh:

• Brohoof 1

I actually had no idea First Class was a reboot. My friends and I are huge comics nerds and we've been thinking it was a prequel this whole time.  :blink:

And Avengers did by the Bifrost conveniently being fixed. Thor desperately wanted to return to Jane, so shouldn't he have used the Bifrost as soon as it was fixed and not wait for Loki to start causing havoc before he returns to Earth?  :huh:  Also, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and the retcon of the Hulk design. If Avengers is in the same MCU as The Incredible Hulk, shouldn't the big mean green machine look more like this and less like this

First Class is sort of a prequel, but it's largely a reboot. Days of Future Past looks like it will effectively restart things canonically.

The Bifrost wasn't conveniently fixed in The Avengers. In their first encounter, Loki asks Thor, "With the Bifrost gone, how much dark energy did the Allfather have to conjure to muster you here?" Sending Thor was an act of desperation in response to Loki's appearance, and the only way Thor could return home was if he had access to the Tesseract (with Loki's assistance, it seems). He couldn't get to Jane because the Bifrost was still destroyed.

Not much could really be done about Edward Norton insofar as he is notoriously difficult to work with and Marvel wasn't interested in contracting him again. I think Mark Ruffalo was a splendid choice, given the way he played Banner, but that's largely a matter of personal taste.

Just because it's "just another superhero movie" doesn't mean it can't be amazing

It's like saying that an FPS can't be amazing simply because it's another FPS

I don't think somethign should be knocked or ignored just because it's a part of an oversaturated genre, it just sounds unfair

But I just said it was good, so what you said makes zero sense. I never said they aren't bad. I should've changed the title but sadly I have no idea how to.

HAHAHA what? I DEMAND PROOF!

It's called the internet. What you are using.

I do notice that Marvel is going to be having big scale movies all over this year. Captain America, X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man. I guess I don't see why this is a bad thing and you haven't given us much of a reason either. They put a ton of effort and money into these movies and that's why they are blockbusters. Superhero movies are something you really need to have great special effects to pull off and Marvel does it well (especially the Avengers tie-ins). I do think rebooting franchises like Spider-Man are a problem for continuity reasons and hopefully we won't see that trend continue where we see origin stories retold. That's why DC keeps missing their chances and looks more and more out of touch as Superman reboot was not needed and just didn't click with people. Batman seems to be their only franchise with any lasting power. I know Dc would love to do a Justice League movie but there's every reason why it could look dumb on film as they haven't built up a real universe of their own yet.

First Class is sort of a prequel, but it's largely a reboot. Days of Future Past looks like it will effectively restart things canonically.

The Bifrost wasn't conveniently fixed in The Avengers. In their first encounter, Loki asks Thor, "With the Bifrost gone, how much dark energy did the Allfather have to conjure to muster you here?" Sending Thor was an act of desperation in response to Loki's appearance, and the only way Thor could return home was if he had access to the Tesseract (with Loki's assistance, it seems). He couldn't get to Jane because the Bifrost was still destroyed.

Not much could really be done about Edward Norton insofar as he is notoriously difficult to work with and Marvel wasn't interested in contracting him again. I think Mark Ruffalo was a splendid choice, given the way he played Banner, but that's largely a matter of personal taste.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. 

Also, I thought Ruffalo made a great Banner, but I felt that the motion capture features of his hulk left something to be desired. It seemed a bit bulgy when we consider the vein-bulged linebacker shaped Hulk we got previously. 

I do notice that Marvel is going to be having big scale movies all over this year. Captain America, X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man. I guess I don't see why this is a bad thing and you haven't given us much of a reason either. They put a ton of effort and money into these movies and that's why they are blockbusters. Superhero movies are something you really need to have great special effects to pull off and Marvel does it well (especially the Avengers tie-ins). I do think rebooting franchises like Spider-Man are a problem for continuity reasons and hopefully we won't see that trend continue where we see origin stories retold. That's why DC keeps missing their chances and looks more and more out of touch as Superman reboot was not needed and just didn't click with people. Batman seems to be their only franchise with any lasting power. I know Dc would love to do a Justice League movie but there's every reason why it could look dumb on film as they haven't built up a real universe of their own yet.

Actually, Fox still owns X-Men, but I've heard rumor they're open to offers.

Also, DC is planning to build up their universe. I believe another shot at the Green Lantern has been considered by Warner Bros, and a movie with Wonder Woman in it (can't remember if it was the Supes/Bats movie or Wonder Woman in her own movie) has been brought up.

I enjoy superhero movies. Some of them are great, and some of them aren't so great.

Some superhero movies I never really cared for

• Original live action Spiderman trilogy
  • Fantastic Four movies
  • Daredevil
  • Electra

Some ones I enjoyed

• Captain America (Both the first one, and the new one)
  • All 3 Iron Man movies
  • Amazing Spiderman

Anyways, I can't wait to see the Guardians of the Galaxy. Rocket Raccoon is awesome!

I enjoy superhero movies. Some of them are great, and some of them aren't so great.

Some superhero movies I never really cared for

• Original live action Spiderman trilogy
  • Fantastic Four movies
  • Daredevil
  • Electra

Some ones I enjoyed

• Captain America (Both the first one, and the new one)
  • All 3 Iron Man movies
  • Amazing Spiderman

Anyways, I can't wait to see the Guardians of the Galaxy. Rocket Raccoon is awesome!

Daredevil and Electra are SUPER underrated. It was popular for awhile and then it died instantly.