Pony special for adults

Captain Marvelous

113 users have voted

1. 1. Would you want a pony special made for adults?

• Yes
    • No

So here I am surfing through the toku fandom, and I have found out that Ultraman and Super Sentai (shows both aimed at kids) had a/will be having shows aimed at adult fans... Ultra Seven X (I will be watching later) and the Unofficial Sentai which seems to be aimed at the otaku fanbase

Now here is my question, if their was an adult show of ponies, would you watch it?

Now I'm not saying a full blown season, heck not even half a season... two episodes, even a one hour special... something that people at studio be thought would be hilarious..

The special wouldn't even be canon to the series, meaning no matter what happens, it shouldn't affect your view on the show, nor the continuity...

how would you like it?

Would you like something that has a real world perspective

{try reading all of these in hilarious dramatic voices)

Twilight: This world is not worth saving, it is crumbling under our hooves... I didn't need learn from my studies to know that, every pony else would be better off dead... But, this is my life, and I won't let you take it away... call me greedy, but I prefer not to die in this terrible world

or perhaps some Drama relationship (like in soaps)

Spike: Sweetie Belle, I LOVE you

Sweetie Belle: No spike, it is my sister that you love, not me

Spike: No, no it isn't true... it was the idea of being with your sister that made me love her, but with you, with you, I love truely with my heart

Sweetie Belle: I'm sorry Spike, but I can never return you that same amount of love. For the one I love, is Scootaloo

Spike: E GASP *C___BLOCKED BY ANOTHER C___*

or perhaps the characters deal with something, that you would never see in a kid's show

Rainbow Dash: Woah... I'm confused, which are you, her mother or her sister

Applejack: That's easy Sugar Cube, I'm both

Rainbow Dash: How?

Applejack: When I was young'n our mother died, and we all took it pretty hard, but my father took it the worse to his sanity... it's something we don't like to talk about, I hope you understand

Rainbow Dash: Oh, I do understand... For I too, have a daughter, who also is my niece twice removed

Applejack *dramatic gaze*: Y'all... Y'all never said anything about that before

Rainbow Dash: Of course... because she was killed... BY YOUR BROTHER

Applejack: LE GASP!!

How about aimed at the bronies themselves

Doctor: *what is that crazy mare doing now* Derpy, we must get to the tardis NOAW!!

Derpy: In a minute Doctor, but Berry Punch here said she was going to give me the tastiest muffin ever to eat

*Berry with a drunk grin*

maybe a bit of fourth wall breaking, viewership interaction

*Rainbow Dash exercises *image from the race episode* and the camera looks on at her*

Rainbow Dash: Eyes up here buck-o *Camera pans upward to her face*

or maybe even the classic, Behind the scene parody

Show the characters day on how they go into work on how they start filming Friendship is Magic

Twilight is actually a smoker

Rainbow Dash is a girl always in the fashion

Fluttershy is actually like Flutterbitch (whenever she isn't on stage she is in her trailer)

Applejack is a clean freak

so... if their was a "Adult" Pony Special... what would you want?

also, if this were to air on TV, it would be around 2-4

and if on DVD it, wouldn't be a part of the main series of Dvd

Edit: Okay, so I finally watched half of Akibaranger (The adult super sentai show I mentioned in the first post) ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS EVER!!!

In the show Akibaranger, it deals with a huge Super Sentai fan named Akagi Nobuo, in this show Super Sentai is a tv sho (think of Digimon Tamers) he, and two others, are given a chance to become sentai and defeat an evil that is trying to wipe out all Otakus, as it turns out when they become Sentai, it is actually a delusion... and only recently did they leave the delusion and enter their world by literally breaking the fourth wall (of course, once they saw their real bodies they returned back to normal)... their secret base is actually a Super Sentai cafe that Sentai fans can go and hang out

So, perhaps it's not really "a show for adults" that I mentioned in the first post, but what I'm more getting at is a show for the bronies...

Like, using Akiba as the outline, The "princess" of the brony cafe ask at least three (one for each kind of pony) to help Equestria from an invading force where thier destruction there will affect the real world (extra points if they creatures are literally trolls)... it could be part live action (the real world scenes) and part 2d (Equestria)....

so something like that.... I'll update first post

Edited by Captain Marvelous
  • Brohoof 7

Behind the scenes parody with a documentary feel. Like they occasionally cutaway to an interview of each Mane 6 individually and they just go off about they love/hate their co-workers. Maybe interview a handful of background ponies too (Snails: "I was utterly shocked and dismayed when they told me my role was to be the town simpleton! I have a Master's degree from Harvard for Christ's sake!")

Edited by Doctor XFizzella
  • Brohoof 13

I like it xD

nothing less, I like the idea, some bronies here seemed a bit harsh, it's not going to ruin the fandom, did Derpy ruin the fandom when they changed her name and added a voice? of course hasbro erased her, but we got what some of us wanted, even if it didn't last long we got to see how the fandom can change things

pleez don't argue

• Brohoof 1

Meh. I get the humor behind the idea, but I'm not thrilled by it. The thing that makes MLP: FiM so enjoyable is the fact it is supposed to be aimed at children yet has enough appeal to draw adults. If it shifted to either side of the spectrum, whether for children or adults, I'm afraid the show would quickly lose its charm.

• Brohoof 3

Soccer Mom: What is this madness... A KID SHOW WITH AN EPISODE AIMED TOWARDS ADULT WHAT IS THIS MADNESS I'M CALLING THE AUTHORITIES!

-Later-

"Tonight on Fox News: The popular kid show 'My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic', has put out an episode that is thought to be offensive, covering topics that only adult's television would do.

The show's cancellation is imminent. More on this story as it develops."

• Brohoof 1

This cartoon is a gift and the fandom is already killing it.

I never understood this view. Fandoms don't kill franchises. Not even the Sonic fandom could do that.

• Brohoof 5

I never understood this view. Fandoms don't kill franchises. Not even the Sonic fandom could do that.

Oh, but they do try.

Comic fandoms often kill their own franchises, especially when they stretch back several generations. Then the inmates run the asylum.

Comic fandoms often kill their own franchises, especially when they stretch back several generations. Then the inmates run the asylum.

A good link I'll read in full shortly, but this caught my eye right off the bat.

"A sufficiently established franchise is indistinguishable from fanfiction."

Stop me if I'm wrong, but since the majority of us don't care for the first 3.5 generations of MLP, our fandom is technically in it's first year of existence. This shouldn't apply.

• Brohoof 1

My initial reaction is no.

Maybe I could accept themes a little more mature, such as relationships or real world problems, but when you say Adult show, I can only think of a disguting sex, swearing and gore filled thingy like the ones in adult swim and stuff, (LIKE THAT .MOV SHIT!! OH MY GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!) so that's a big NO. YOU CAN'T RUIN MY PONIES!

• Brohoof 2

Sweetie Belle: I'm sorry Spike, but I can never return you that same amount of love. For the one I love, is Scootaloo

Spike: E GASP *C___BLOCKED BY ANOTHER C___*

I about died laughing at this xDD

Although a fan dedicated episode or special would be epic, I have a feeling it would stray too far from the show's original feel.

This seems like an idea the fandom should do, not the creators. I mean, several of us have already proven we can write, act, and animate good ideas. Why ask the writers to break from their good streak to supplement the desires of one group when they are making something originally meant for both groups?

• Brohoof 1

A good link I'll read in full shortly, but this caught my eye right off the bat.

"A sufficiently established franchise is indistinguishable from fanfiction."

Stop me if I'm wrong, but since the majority of us don't care for the first 3.5 generations of MLP, our fandom is technically in it's first year of existence. This shouldn't apply.

Oh, I'm not arguing that MLP: FiM is going in this direction. But it is helpful to keep in mind how even the best of series can go off the rails in this manner.

• Brohoof 1

Meh. I get the humor behind the idea, but I'm not thrilled by it. The thing that makes MLP: FiM so enjoyable is the fact it is supposed to be aimed at children yet has enough appeal to draw adults. If it shifted to either side of the spectrum, whether for children or adults, I'm afraid the show would quickly lose its charm.

This is my view on this topic exactly. The fact that it is a show targeted to younger girls and their parents that just happens to be watchable by people outside of this demographic is what adds to "magic" of the show's appeal. As you say, if they attempt to shift the show to either side of the spectrum, then it is very likely that the show would lose its charm.

I actually think that this is the reason why Jayson Thiessen has said, several times, that he does not want to change the show's formula too far away from its foundation. They did not necessarily anticipate attracting such a large and diverse audience of viewers. Now that they have, it would be very difficult to isolate which features of the show were essential to making it such a cross-demographic success.

I particularly remember when he was participating in one panel event, and he was asked if he would incorporate fandom stories or other elements. I remember that he replied and said that he would have to be very careful if doing so. His reasoning was that there was a possibility that if he set out to implement elements from the fandom he might actually end up mistakenly removing the very elements of the show that had attracted this fandom to begin with. He all but referenced Suited for Success when he said that fans may love the show but we may not necessarily know what is best for it.

I am reminded of Batman The Animated Series. I remember one day when I was watching a dvd that had some commentary on it from some of the key people behind BTAS (Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, et al). I remember that the guy interviewing them asked them what made BTAS such a success. They basically replied that the show's success was the product of so many different factors that it would be nearly impossible to pinpoint any exact thing.

In that interview, I remember, very specifically, that Bruce Timm said something to the effect that the show's success was a product not only of the show itself but also of the era in which it was written. He would constantly wonder if one day he would wake up and the show would no longer be popular, but it kept on surprising him. He said that, as far as he was concerned, they were just ordinary people working as hard as they could on something that they loved. They didn't expect it to be as big of a deal as it became.

I would imagine that the creators of Friendship is Magic feel similarly. They are just ordinary people working as hard as they can on something that they love. Regardless of how much we may want one thing or another, it may be the case that if the creators of the show stop and try to purposefully refine the show's audience, then the show would lose its appeal to all audiences.

• Brohoof 5

I think part of what we enjoy about My Little Pony is its innocence... and if that is lost, the show loses some of its flavor. That sort of fight-evil-gain-friendship sort of theme really attracts us to the show. Having adult ideas inside the show... It would impress some, and it could be disapproved by some. Well, you will never know...

*taking into account this topic is a very HYPOTHETICAL situation*

If it's raunchy, R-rated material, I can understand the "NO" responses I've seen and I agree that no, this idea shouldn't happen

But if it's mostly lighthearted, PG-13 stuff at worst, I'd totally be okay with it. When something is held in too high of regard, it's a long and painful fall from grace when it's inevitably adulterated and if you stumble upon it. That's why I don't place it on too high of a pedestal to begin with, that way I can enjoy a little PG-13 humor and not turn my nose up at it like a prude. That is unless the adulteration crosses a line, then I can see the issue many have shared.

Like I would LOVE to see that rumored unaired Dexter's Lab episode where Dexter and Dee Dee are flinging around the F-word like crazy. I feel I would crack up and it would not ruin my childhood or personal view of the show and what it stood for.

Edited by Doctor XFizzella