Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people call Princess Luna sympathetic?

Mywas

She's sympathetic because she has trouble adjusting to society( as seen in nightmare night), and I think a lot of people can relate to that.

Most people sympathize with her because she became corrupted out of jealousy(forcing her to become Nightmare Moon) and was forced to be sealed away, and a lot of the the things she did she obviously deeply regretted when she gained her former self. She also has a lot of trouble adjusting into modern society(which is probably given considering she was banished to 1000 years).

Personally I don't sympathize with her much(I found Celestia to be the bigger victim), though I can see why people would

Most people see her as a mean, horrible pony that is selfish because of her actions (Nightmare Moon). But I'm not one of those people. Even if what Luna did is wrong, she had her reasons to become Nightmare Moon. Imagine if you were in her shoes. Being ignored by your older sister, subjects fear you and nobody is there to admire what you do. Celestia was never there for Luna 1000 years ago and Luna just bottled up her feelings. She probably thought that one day Celestia will be by her side as the big sister she is. But she didn't. So Luna got jealous and wanted her subjects to like her and her creations. 1000 years later after Nightmare Moon was defeated Luna took pity on the fillies with nightmares and also helps them see their mistakes just like Sweetie Belle when she ruined Rarity's dress. Luna came to her and showed her what would happen. Sweetie Belle learned her lesson, and ALL is well. Luna helped Scootaloo conquer her nightmares after Rainbow Dash's story.

@ Yes, I read the thread before I posted. I am well aware of your seeming hated towards this topic...

That being said, I think you'd be able to sympathize with someone throwing a tantrum and begging for attention. Do you need a hug? <(^.^)>

....I'm kind of creeped out since I now think of Yami Marik when someone says "Do you want a hug?". And why would I sympathize with a whiny brat?

@@XxConfusedUnicornxX,

If I were in her shoes, I probably wouldn't try to commit genocide and murder my sister while laughing like a maniac 

• Brohoof 1

Let me just say this. People sympathize with Luna because of a.) being jealous of a sibling (since anyone with siblings likely has experienced that), b.) her hard work being ignored, and c.) difficulty adjusting socially upon her return. People feel like they've faced similar issues, so they relate. They're not saying they would have reacted the same way, but they have had similar problems before.

That's why they find her relatable. Not because they feel her actions were justified, but because of what she had to face. No one should condone her actions, because she was still in the wrong. She's faced these issues we have likely had to face at some point, but she handled them all wrong.

Again, though, it's not her reaction to the problems that people relate to, it's the actual problems she had that people relate to.

....I'm kind of creeped out since I now think of Yami Marik when someone says "Do you want a hug?". And why would I sympathize with a whiny brat?

@@XxConfusedUnicornxX,

If I were in her shoes, I probably wouldn't try to commit genocide and murder my sister while laughing like a maniac 

.... I would. Yeah I know that XD But its sorta a punishment or........ i dunno. Just something for.... for not noticing her for years? idk

Luna is a dreamwalker, she's a very sympathetic pony because she has walked though the fears of others for centuries and helped them face their demons and resolve thier issues. But who is she to turn too when her own dreams turned dark? She didn't turn to Celestia out of shame of not being up to that task of being Princess of the Night.

Celestia blames herself for not being sympathetic and not realising what Luna's burdens were doing to her.

.... I would. Yeah I know that XD But its sorta a punishment or........ i dunno. Just something for.... for not noticing her for years? idk

Except there's never any indication of this. All we have is a raging Luna's word. What she wanted was for ponies to play in the night, something impossible for them.

And still, it'd be like a toddler bashing in his brother's skull with a brick because he wasn't getting enough attention

• Brohoof 1

She never said she would kill them all. And Celestia hardly did anything to show appreciation for what she did. I mean she didn't even tell her not to speak in non canterlot voice.

She never said she would kill them all. And Celestia hardly did anything to show appreciation for what she did. I mean she didn't even tell her not to speak in non canterlot voice.

No Sun=Death

And the Royal Canterlot Voice would have probably been fine had Luna not come along on a day where everyone is basically fearing her

(edited)

No Sun=Death

And the Royal Canterlot Voice would have probably been fine had Luna not come along on a day where everyone is basically fearing her

Magic. Duh...

I dont think thats the thing. Its not explained why ponies cant discern Luna from Nmm.

Edited by NioniosTheRenegade

(edited)

Except there's never any indication of this. All we have is a raging Luna's word. What she wanted was for ponies to play in the night, something impossible for them.

And still, it'd be like a toddler bashing in his brother's skull with a brick because he wasn't getting enough attention

How scared of the dark are you? It's impossible to play at night? Because that did happen in the very first episode...

A toddler.. wow. Not exactly an accurate comparison, but ok: Why did the toddler think that killing his brother with a brick was a good way to get attention? Because that is what the environment around him taught him was acceptable.

No Sun=Death

An assumption about a world full of talking ponies and magic, not exactly a solid argument.

I still think you need hugs. 

post-28159-0-73578900-1405815955_thumb.png

Edited by IceeBrony

Magic. Duh...

I dont think thats the thing. Its not explained why ponies cant discern Luna from Nmm.

Both Luna and Nightmare Moon are refered to as "Princess of the Night" in pony lore.

How scared of the dark you? It's impossible to play at night? Because that did happen in the very first episode...

That's not it. It's that ponies sleep at night. And I don't know about you, but most people tend to be diurnal

A toddler.. wow. Not exactly an accurate comparison, but ok: Why did the toddler think that killing his brother with a brick was a good way to get attention? Because that is what the environment around him taught him was acceptable

...So Luna's parents went up to her and were like

"Daughter, if you ever feel unappreciated, then kill your sister"

As for hugs

tumblr_lrhn588lkX1qjx8olo1_500.jpg

That's not it. It's that ponies sleep at night. And I don't know about you, but most people tend to be diurnal

...So Luna's parents went up to her and were like

"Daughter, if you ever feel unappreciated, then kill your sister"

As for hugs

tumblr_lrhn588lkX1qjx8olo1_500.jpg

I don't sleep at night usually. There are plenty of people who don't

The situation is rarely that clear, and likely not rooted in a simple, or even a single, childhood instance. If it is even a childhood issue at all.

Your refusal of hugs makes me think you REALLY need them.

I don't sleep at night usually. There are plenty of people who don't

Then that's obviously not enough for Luna

The situation is rarely that clear, and likely not rooted in a simple, or even a single, childhood instance. If it is even a childhood issue at all.

Then do enlighten me as to why Luna takes that thought process

Your refusal of hugs makes me think you REALLY need them.

If you want a knife in the stomach, sure 

(edited)

Then that's obviously not enough for Luna

Then do enlighten me as to why Luna takes that thought process

If you want a knife in the stomach, sure 

1. I wasn't there. The story we know says no one was. You say that it's because it's impossible, yet you just admitted that some people do. So, if someone could have been there, why weren't they?

2. Why would Luna feel this way? I'm not sure, it's your comparison. One that I feel is inaccurate. But I can speculate. Perhaps the behavior we see is an amplification of Celestia's actions during that time. Such is often the case.

3. THIS makes everything you say here suspect. Again, I think you need affection.

post-28159-0-58751800-1405817324_thumb.jpg

Edited by IceeBrony

I wasn't there. The story we know says no one was. You say that it's because it's impossible, yet you just admitted that some people do. So, if someone could have been there, why weren't they?

Alternatively, Luna was too busy whining in self pity

2. Why would Luna feel this way? I'm not sure, it's your comparison. One that I feel is inaccurate. But I can speculate. Perhaps the behavior we see is an amplification of Celestia's actions during that time. Such is often the case.

So Celestia taught her that? The same Celestia who was crying as she banished her?

3. THIS makes everything you say here suspect. Again, I think you need affection

I am fine, so stop with that, bad girl/boy

tumblr_mjv476740D1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Alternatively, Luna was too busy whining in self pity

So Celestia taught her that? The same Celestia who was crying as she banished her?

I am fine, so stop with that, bad girl/boy

tumblr_mjv476740D1r72ht7o1_500.gif

1. You say whine, I say ignored

2. Actually yes, it does fit the idea you proposed quite well.

3. Fine? You did threaten to stab me for offering you a hug >_>

1. You say whine, I say ignored

You are aware that with that logic, you can justify Scar from the Lion King, right? 

2. Actually yes, it does fit the idea you proposed quite well.

.....You have a black belt in fanboyism, that much is clear, warping characters for the sake of bias. Why on Earth would Celestia, Miss Mercy, do that?

I think she is sympathetic because she regretted the reasons that led to her banishment and because her banishment and insecurities make her approachable and relateable. Also Evil stop offending ppl.

You are aware that with that logic, you can justify Scar from the Lion King, right? 

.....You have a black belt in fanboyism, that much is clear, warping characters for the sake of bias. Why on Earth would Celestia, Miss Mercy, do that?

1 & 2: You assume you know the whole story.

1. I'm trying to understand her. You aren't. You're calling it whining and looking no further. (Although imagining Scar as a tragic character would make for an interesting perspective)

2. You're assuming Celestia was 'Miss Mercy' back then. What if she wasn't?

And even if Luna was completely in the wrong, which I admitted she may have been in my first post, that still doesn't detract from her being a sympathetic character.

The feelings of jealousy, abandonment, redemption, and displacement are all very relatable.

I think she is sympathetic because she regretted the reasons that led to her banishment and because her banishment and insecurities make her approachable and relateable. Also Evil stop offending ppl.

Stop offending people? Tch

1. I'm trying to understand her. You aren't. You're calling it whining and looking no further. (Although imagining Scar as a tragic character would make for an interesting perspective)

Not every character needs to have a convoluted backstory. Is it that hard to believe that :o , Luna was a douchebag back then?

2. You're assuming Celestia was 'Miss Mercy' back then. What if she wasn't?

Because she was crying as she banished Luna, because she didn't smash Discord's statue, because nothing works against it, etc.

And even if Luna was completely in the wrong, which I admitted she may have been in my first post, that still doesn't detract from her being a sympathetic character. The feelings of jealousy, abandonment, redemption, and displacement are all very relatable.

And then that gets thrown out the window the instant she becomes a petty, vengeful brat.

Her jealousy was pathetic and attention based, her abandonment was her own fault, her redemption had to be thrust down her throat, and her displacement was solved in one episode