Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On a bit of a "learn Gamemaker" kick, looks like

SFyr

So I'm pretty undecided on how to spend my time most days. Usually I wind up just goofing off or "doodling" in some medium that may or may not be drawing.

Past few days, I've been looking at Game Maker again, and as you can probably guess by which forum I'm posting this on, I was thinking something pony related.

Currently I have an 8 directional walking pony sprite base (which I use as a 'doll' above my collision mask/object/shadow), which can jump while keeping up with a 'z' variable for height. --It's used in conjunction with a variable keeping track of whether the player is grounded, airborne going up, or airborne going down.

Dreamingly, I wanted to make something zombie or dungeon related further into the future; something simple-ish yet with a decent bit to do, and a little vague story to enjoy and have characters participate in.

Realistically, I'm going to try to make a random minigame where coins are spit out from air at random and you have to pick them up for points, so I can test collisions playing off of both masks and z/height. From there, no clue--well, after I try throwing in legitimate collision/wall objects that can/can't be jumped over, maybe.

post-24809-0-01787700-1398609188.png

Also, I'm thinking about taking a detour and recreating the old game Drugwars with a little pony-esque stuff/art, because that would be a much easier project, and one that I'm much more likely to actually finish in some form; I would also likely learn a moderate bit about game maker's scripting from doing it, so... *shrugs*

Anyways.

Advice/thoughts?

I think I got a handle on how to do the next step for the coin bit, and I maaay be able to find what I need to pull together the second test game thing off, but my knowledge/ability is still extremely basic.

What are some stupid mistakes I can/very likely will make taking this path?

What would be some good detours or realistic wisdom that apply to my situation?

Am I wasting my time, given how prone I am to not finishing huge projects? :lol:  

//Also, if anyone cares, the sprites for the pony are compatible for RPG Maker VX and crud, as that was what I originally intended to use them for--I even have a set of tail'd bases (mare and stallion) and one fully colored pony.

post-24809-0-30831100-1398610958.gif

Edited by SFyr

(edited)

Well, I made it to the next stage, but what I made is still pretty dumb.  :P I feel I learned a bit from it though; took a few hours to get everything working without glaring issues though.

Anyways.

Got a collision tileset... thing, for un-jumpable walls/borders, which blocks player movement and can be used to 'bounce' other objects.

And, I threw in balls aimed at removing your score.

post-24809-0-97169900-1398815083_thumb.png

My former questions still apply, but I feel I can still ask: any ideas of what a beginner should do next? I'd love to hear some suggestions/challenges to try to meet when I have the time to continue playing around.

I'm still considering just trying to essentially remake an old/simple game or two, to see if I can, and learn some crud about other interface/data stuffs.

Edited by SFyr