Zecora's speech pattern

ggg-2

Now as we all know by now, Zecora speaks in rhyme. But, do you think everypony (everyzebra?) does it in her homeland? or do you think she's the  only one?

I think that Zecora's panicked rambling when Rainbow Crash was wrecking her cottage is how Zebras actually talk.

Maybe whoever taught her the Mane 6's language relied on rhymes to make it easier to remember words.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's like Darmok episode in Star Trek TNG where an entire species communicated in metaphors. Maybe the Zebras make communication in general an art, instead of specific forms of it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm sure every zebra speak like her. She didn't decide by herself that she'll talk like that, that would be weird. I guess she copied the way her parents talk, in rhyme.

That's how children have the same accent as their parents in our world.

Edited by Blobulle

I'm sure every zebra speak like her. She didn't decide by herself that she'll talk like that, that would be weird. I guess she copied the way her parents talk, in rhyme.

That's how children have an accent in our world.

Weird by our standards. But she's a zebra, and of an entirely different culture. What's considered weird to us, may be perfectly normal to them.

Personally, though, I like to think that she enjoys speaking like that. It's a fun way to speak, especially if you get the hang of rhyming on the spot. I would imagine it's a sort of front to entertain others when she speaks. That panicked foreign dialect she speaks one time is likely how I picture her talking natively.

The way that zebra speaks is probably for fun, but she loses it when on the run. Why she speaks in rhymes will remain a mystery, but her doing so will give her a spot in history.

• Brohoof 3

I think Zecora can see the future and she's just not being forthright about it.

Remember the line "what has happened to you, youth? Ah, you've gone and chipped your tooth"?

How did she know she was going to be able to rhyme youth with tooth before seeing Apple Bloom's face? THINK ABOUT IT.

I think Zecora can see the future and she's just not being forthright about it.

Remember the line "what has happened to you, youth? Ah, you've gone and chipped your tooth"?

How did she know she was going to be able to rhyme youth with tooth before seeing Apple Bloom's face? THINK ABOUT IT.

The way that zebra speaks is probably for fun, but she loses it when on the run. Why she speaks in rhymes will remain a mystery, but her doing so will give her a spot in history.

Rhymers annoy me when I stop using Bellisario's Maxim, and I feel the need to yell at the writers.

I think I had a fanfiction that I dropped half-formed where Zecora only rhymed when referencing memorized wisdom.  Uses for herbs, recipes, old legends, etc.  Conversational standard was just stilted and imperfect words.

(edited)

It's funny how some places like the internet have people that can't even communicate in full sentences, let alone rhyming couplets. Now an entire culture speaking in rhyme? That's interesting.

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 2

I can't say, since we know little to nothing about Zebras in MLP. Maybe we'll learn more about them in Season 5, eh? :)

Zebras possibly have their own native language, but Zecora mostly speaks in rhymes so that could be another pattern that she speaks in, the native language from where she came from.

I think it is a personal reflection of a cultural aspect. It is possible that zebra culture, at least within Zecora's village of birth, that heavy emphasis is placed on thinking before speaking and choosing words wisely. For Zecora, she rhymes as a way to hold to the standard of thinking before speaking, as well as a way to train her mind and vocabulary. Other Zebras may rhyme as well, or they may develop personal speech patterns (patterns may also be common to units such as families or tribes).

• Brohoof 1