Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hollow Shades and the location from Magic Duel and Twilight's Kingdom Part 1

ThePreciseClimber

So has anyone been wondering about that somewhat mysterious, dark location from those 2 episodes? It appears to be the exact same place:Mysterious_Pony_S3E5.pngRare_Find_walking_in_a_dark_alley_S4E25.

Now, I know the place is referred to as "Canterlot" in the script and in some official art or whatever but it's never actually mentioned by name in the actual show.

Let's assume it IS Canterlot. Then this would probably mark the biggest derp in the series' history. It's perfect daylight in the Old Castle right before the scene transition to this location and after we're done with Tirek manipulating Discord we're back to the castle. Still daylight. 

We can see Canterlot from Ponyville in multiple episodes. It's pretty safe to assume that if it's daytime in Canterlot the same can be said about Ponyville and by extention the Everfree Forest.

And I'm pretty sure it didn't take Twilight an entire night to read 5 bookmarked journal entries.

Also - what would Tirek be doing in Canterlot anyways? In such a weakened state? Pretty sure he would start sucking out magic in other places.

---

It might have been called "Canterlot" in the script of Magic Duel but since it was never named in the show itself maybe it has been "retconned" behind the scenes?

Maybe the crew decided the location would work better as some other town since it's not even all that similar to Canterlot to begin with?

So what do you think? Is it the biggest derp ever or just a tiny "retcon" we were never supposed to know about?

And the second question - Do you think it might actually be Hollow Shades? It actually does look just a bit like that dark spot on the map of Equestria.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It sure looks mysterious, now that you proved it isn't during the night.

I like your theory that it isn't in Canterlot but somewhere else (Hollow Shades?), so I guess I agree with you.

Edited by Blobulle

I've always thought it was the same mysterious town that Trixie bought the Alicorn Amulet at.

Yeah, that's what the 1st picture shows. I guess I could've mentioned that...

Ok so pic #1 is from Magic Duel and pic #2 is from Twilight's Kingdom pt.1.

---

When you compare the 2 pics you can see they're not extactly the same - certain assets have different shapes. However, they still made structure of the alley look identical - the windows, the doors, the carts...

Yeah, that's what the 1st picture shows. I guess I could've mentioned that...

Ok so pic #1 is from Magic Duel and pic #2 is from Twilight's Kingdom pt.1.

---

When you compare the 2 pics you can see they're not extactly the same - certain assets have different shapes. However, they still made structure of the alley look identical - the windows, the doors, the carts...

I'm pretty sure that Trixie and Tirek were in almost exactly the same place, even the lights hanging from the overhangs are the same.

However, we never really figured out officially where Trixie got the amulet either, so I'm absolutely sure it's the same place, especially considering that they look just about identical in design but not exactly in layout.

As for whether or not that's Canterlot... I don't think I buy that. It looks more like just some dreary town in another part of Equestria to me.