Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's Kingdom is overrated

TheAnimatorOfficial

I don't really think so. It's my favourite two-parter, not only because of the cool fight scene and the gripping plot, but because there's a lot of depth to Twilight's internal conflict. I have a few minor complaints about it, and other two-partners are more purely fun, but there's a lot impressive about this one that excites me every time I watch it.

Yeah, it's pretty overrated. The story only worked because everyone acted like complete idiots, the ending was about as anticlimactic as it could have been and the fight scene felt really out of place.  

That being said, it isn't the worst two-parter in the show (that honor goes to "the cutie re-mark") but it certainly isn't as good as everyone says it is.  

Love it or hate it, the fact remains that this finale stood out like nothing else. This finale sure was a shocker as it did things nobody could have dared to expect, most motably the destruction of the Ponyville Library and the fight between Twilight and Tirek.

• 4 years later...
On 2017-02-15 at 3:18 PM, TheAnimatorOfficial said:

but it's not the pinnacle of MLP:FIM

You can say that again! :ButtercupLaugh:

The DBZ fight scene was really DBZ though :Pharynx: Still felt like the animators did that, and not the storyteller >_>

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, They call me Loyalty said:

Those were exactly my words. Do NOT dumb down intelligent characters to make your stupid horned monkey horse on steroids look smart. Also, buck twilight AND her kingdom.

Stone-cold review, bro. :mlp_nom:

This is still my favorite two-part finale episode, or at least close to it, and still one of my favorite episodes of the show. Hardly the first time characters in the show have been "dumbed down" and the fight scenes are still only rivaled in greatness by the ones in The Ending of the End. It's overrated just like every popular thing ever, even the best things in the world are not going to appeal to some people. It's also easy to riff on the quirks of any FiM episode, even a well-written one, and regardless, this was still the most epic MLP got at the time. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Stone-cold review, bro. :mlp_nom:

This is still my favorite two-part finale episode, or at least close to it, and still one of my favorite episodes of the show. Hardly the first time characters in the show have been "dumbed down" and the fight scenes are still only rivaled in greatness by the ones in The Ending of the End. It's overrated just like every popular thing ever, even the best things in the world are not going to appeal to some people. It's also easy to riff on the quirks of any FiM episode, even a well-written one, and regardless, this was still the most epic MLP got at the time. 

I was being playful. Except for the tirek part. And the twiligt part, and the kingdom part.

Well opinions differ of course. For me season four is one the best season also because of this final. 

There are so many things I could list here why I think is so great. Just take the introduction/exposition of Tirek. In just a couple of seconds the audience is told everything they really needs to know about him and how dangerous he is, without saying it directly. In my eyes this is one of the best moments of the whole show. Then later when Tirek manages to twist Discord around his finger and then later how Discord going through the whole remorse when Tirek turned on him. Have I mentioned I like this villain very much :>

Then there is of course Twilight overpowered form here and the resulting dbz-ish fight between her and Tirek. The loss of the Golden Oak Library, which I really loved ;_;

I really love this episode and I think it's one the best episode FiM gave us.

Well, granted Ive never been the biggest fan of the Rainbow Forms of the Mane Six but this doesn't change anything for me. I love this episode and I think it's underrated <3

All I'm at the actual battle sequences are pretty cool but I've always been more about a person who would learn more about a character than the big blamo blamo stuff.

It's the reason why I liked season 5 and season 6 finale more because the first one involves time traveling meaning every time line they travel to could have potential to be expanded upon and reveal more story ideas that could happen in another world and season 6 finale we have to get to see a group of unlikely heroes be the one to save the day after seeing our main heroes usually be the one do it as well as seeing the potential chemistry that bounces off each other in that group of unlikely heroes

I think that it was a very over-rated episode personally. I like Tirek, but there is too much focus on the combat scenes. I don't see anything from it that speaks to me on a creative level. All it goes to show you was that Discord was ready to betray his friends, I think that they could have even turned him back to stone to show that some friends do indeed turn on you and don't look back. That would have spoke to me more on a creative level, as it's more personal to me.

Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 1

I really liked the rainbow power scene at the end and how Twilight got a new home. (A bit too coincidental there, don’t you think?) I thought the fight scene was neat but I don’t think about it as much as I think about the part I just mentioned and the part where they explain what happens once all the magic is stolen.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...
(edited)

No one talks about the fact that throughout the episode Twilight is unable to control her magic, but suddenly when she needs it, she's able to be at the same level as Tirek despite not really being involved in any real battle (magic duels don't count)

Speaking of which, it was really dumb of the princesses to give their magic to Twilight. She's very new to this "alicornness" already. Now they're giving her even more magic when there's a dangerous supervillain trying to get it! They could've at least had Twilight move somewhere else so that if Tirek does find out about their plan he'll have to travel a looong ways away to find her

Edited by FlutterIsBestAlicorn
I forgot to mention something
  • Brohoof 1