Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated Characters?

Lucky Bolt

In your opinion, who are the most overrated characters in the show? But let's keep a civil discussion here and not argue. Respect other opinions please.

My list in no particular order...

• Celestia
  • Luna
  • Tempest Shadow
  • Spitfire
  • Starlight Glimmer
  • Pinkie Pie
  • Autumn Blaze, and the Kirin in general
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
  • Starlight
  • Princess Celestia and Luna
  • Trixie
  • Cheese Sandwich
  • Most of the named background ponies
  • Scootaloo
  • King Sombra
  • The pillars
  • Daring Do
  • Tempest Shadow

Some of them are ok, some of them are bad, but I think they are all overrated.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is more of a "Characters I'm not a huge fan of" list:

• Rainbow Dash
  •  Discord (Post reformation)
  • Starlight Glimmer 
  • Scootaloo
Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

• Rainbow Dash
  • Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops
  • Derpy
  • Discord (I don't dislike him, but seeing what happen in the series finale, not that I've seen the first two parts of the three part finale [just a couple clips and research], that I thought was a bit tiresome by season 9 as a whole)
  • Cozy Glow (Not that I seen much of her, but I'm not really that interested in her and think she was kind of unneeded)
  • Starlight Glimmer
  • Dr. Hooves
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I only ever look at overrated characters in a writing perspective, i.e. characters where it's really obvious they got preferential treatment from the writers, often at other's expense

I'd say Starlight, Trixie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Luna, Discord(ESPECIALLY THE LAST TWO SEASONS), and Maud probably fit that bill the best

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

Hmmmmmmmm I would probably have to say:

-Lyra & Bonbon

-Doctor Hooves

-Vinyl & Octavia

-Flurry Heart

This doesn't mean I specifically dislike any of these characters, I just think they're kinda jazzed up and really blown out of proportion with their popularity (especially within the fandom) so that lands them on my list of overrated characters. 

I do not get the fascination with the background characters like Lyra, Bon-Bon, and Doctor Whooves. I've always just looked at them as...background characters. :maud: Derpy's an exception for having legitimately funny moments, but still. I also have to go with Trixie. The obsession with her definitely stopped bothering me in the latter part of the show, but the try-hard, "lovable narcissist" character trope has just been done to death in the franchise.  

• Brohoof 2

Vinyl. Never understood why she was so damn liked. I mean hell Dubstep isn't that good to begin with nevermind a pony who the fans centred around that aspect.

Tempest too, her character isn't exactly a unique trope to begin with.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really consider any of them to be overrated. All of them have their chance to shine in one way or another. and if it seems like one character getting way more screen time that another it doesn't really bother me. 

Truthfully, if I went with what the majority of you people are saying about overrated characters, such as Discord or Celestia, I wouldn't be honest with myself.

I know they're fictional but the world is so interesting that I feel like they're real people who live their own lives for better or worse. so it doesn't seem all that fair to hate on a character to the point of treating said character as a punching bag. Murderers are one group I'm less likely to forgive compared to those who showed genuine remose. 

You have to really try to get me on the "this character is so awful they should never even exist" hate bandwagon. Call me naive, but that's just how honestly I feel about the characters.

World building all popular characters doesn't make them overrated.

I am feeling the most overrated character is Pinkie Pie. People keep saying she is funny and "classic Pinkie", like they like her. But does anyone really care for her, really?

Starlight Glimmer - Basic Sue trash

Sunset Shimmer - Basic Sue trash

Luna - edgy OC for emo kids

Trixie - annoying bitch for people who can't humor but think they're smart

Maud - another annoying bitch for people who can't humor but think they're smart

Discord - just a creepy old Florida man off his medication. He's the off-brand "how do you do fellow kids" chaos for people who hate chaos but want to come across as hip and cool.

Kirin - just a unicorn DLC skin

Background ponies in general - No Steve, making a pony from the show your OC isn't canon

Sombra - edgy OC for kids too "goth" for Luna

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

World building all popular characters doesn't make them overrated.

I am feeling the most overrated character is Pinkie Pie. People keep saying she is funny and "classic Pinkie", like they like her. But does anyone really care for her, really?

While I don't fine Pinkie overrated because she can have some legit funny moments and touching moments like any character, but she suffers having quite a few annoying moments like any character. Now I'm not big on Pinkie because most of the time at least to me during season 2-4 was really hard to tolerate. I mean like RD, the writers found ways to have her flaws show way too much. But again, unlike RD, I don't find her overrated because too be honest I don't see a whole lot of fans of Pinkie. That is just my opinion however and with how many I interact or see post about a certain pony.