Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated Characters?

Lucky Bolt

The only ones I can think of are:

- Marble Pie. 

A rock could have played her part, and I'm not even talking about rocks with great personality such as Tom and Boulder.

- Grogar. 

I actually like that Discord was impersonating the ridiculously hyped ram.

• 2 weeks later...

- Maud Pie. Why is the boring, monotone voice and almost pathological disinterest so appealing to people? She's is like a black hole of charisma, charm and interest. There's nothing to bounce off of her, not even in her 'dry humour' moments. I would be happy to never see this pony again.

- DISCORD. Again, WHY the hype for him?! Is it the John De Lance voice thing? He's so overhyped for such an irritating clown. He was more interesting as a mischievous villain who did things for the fun of it and completely changed people, but as an unreliable ally? He's a drunk chaotic friend who thinks he's a great time but your other friends can't stand.

- Muffins/Derpy. Pandering to the fans to an embarrassing amount.

- Octavia/Vinyl. They do absolutely nothing, and really should have just remained background players.

- Lyra and Bon-Bon. I felt something really snap inside my noggin watching the fan episode and the Bon-Bon Being A Secret Agent thing ... just ... WHY?!

On 6/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, Stardust Live said:

- Maud Pie. Why is the boring, monotone voice and almost pathological disinterest so appealing to people? She's is like a black hole of charisma, charm and interest. There's nothing to bounce off of her, not even in her 'dry humour' moments. I would be happy to never see this pony again.

When she made the rock joke in Equestria Girls, I laughed so hard, and I never laugh at that kind of humor. Who ever came up with her is a genius. Overrated not. Special, yes.

- DISCORD. Again, WHY the hype for him?! Is it the John De Lance voice thing? He's so overhyped for such an irritating clown. He was more interesting as a mischievous villain who did things for the fun of it and completely changed people, but as an unreliable ally? He's a drunk chaotic friend who thinks he's a great time but your other friends can't stand.

It has to do with another show.

They kinda tried to do this with Mudbriar where they make a character based of a popular show, and in that case it is a show called Big Bang Theory and a character called Sheldon Cooper, however that didn't work, and didn't get the same attention as Discord.

I can understand that characters are boring and uninteresting when no one knows who they are based on.

Discord is based on a character from Star Trek The Next Generation, called Q. And for me personally, who just happened to watch the last episode of Star Trek TNG, and immediately fell in love with the character Q, I understood the hype about Discord before even going into Season 2. And trust me, that was a big moment for me. Overrated not. Special, yes.

- Muffins/Derpy. Pandering to the fans to an embarrassing amount

... Guess what, I can only agree on this. I don't like disabled ponies, and why they should be called out for being disabled is like screaming evil things in the school corridor, to people that were born differently. Overrated yes. Special, no.

- Lyra and Bon-Bon. I felt something really snap inside my noggin watching the fan episode and the Bon-Bon Being A Secret Agent thing ... just ... WHY?!

Yea, I agree. We had the same thing with Vinyl Scratch's eye color. The fans made up the idea of red color eyes, but the show staff made them pink instead. Just like the secret agent thing, which was not a fan idea, but a show staff idea, it is not good. Only fan ideas are good. Overrated yes. Special, no.

... Okay, the last thing was stupid.

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, Ocean Breeze said:

Rainbow Dash, Luna, Derpy, Pinkie Pie, Trixie, Vinyl Scratch, Autumn Blaze, and Izzy is already starting to be overrated lmao

I was with you up until Rainbow Dash then, I was back in your corner with Muffins.

Everyone else is hit or miss and Izzy is a "free space" for me because we don't know that much about her. 

• Brohoof 1

King Sombra. He's awesome in the comics but in his brief season 3 appearance?  Ehh... he just doesn't do anything for me, unlike most of the other villains.

Spitfire is pretty overrated, too. Cool design but never manages to be likable. Same with all the other Wonderbolts, though Soarin is a little better

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Is it cheating to say all 5 of those chicks who are in practically every episode? Their hick friend seems alright though. Too bad she's just a background character. :umad:

Any given fandom darling/most beloved waifu is overrated. That's the one consensus I'm seeing here. That said, "overrated" and "crappy" aren't synonyms and I'm not sure where people got the idea that they were. Most of the time, overrated characters are hyped up for a reason.

I've been burnt out on a lotta the characters others have listed here before - e.g. there was no escaping the Luna worship back in the day - but there's so many new characters entering canon constantly that I could never be too annoyed with anyone's excessive popularity for long. The Best Pony of the week would always be replaced with someone fresh, especially towards the end of the show's run. A blessing and a curse for sure lol.

the student six suck smelly wind tho reee

On 2020-06-22 at 9:09 AM, Stardust Live said:

- Muffins/Derpy. Pandering to the fans to an embarrassing amount.

- Octavia/Vinyl. They do absolutely nothing, and really should have just remained background players.

wait how was Hasbro pandering to us with Derpy?

Octavia, Vinyl and Derpy were given their characters and 'backstories' by the fandom itself. The fandom made them popular lul Octavia and Vinyl did remain as bg characters tho

• 5 months later...

Rainbow Dash and Princess Luna come to mind.

Rainbow Dash seems to be the most popular of the main cast with fans and Princess Luna seems to be the most popular princess with fans. Both of these ponies are seen as “cool” and I have seen them take the top spot in a lot of places.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Although she didn't have popularity for long, Stellar Flare was quite overrated considering she only appeared in one episode. I also feel like Trixie is quite overrated too, she was well liked ever since the beginning despite infiltrating town and showing off to everyone the whole time.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

Although she didn't have popularity for long, Stellar Flare was quite overrated considering she only appeared in one episode. I also feel like Trixie is quite overrated too, she was well liked ever since the beginning despite infiltrating town and showing off to everyone the whole time.

Stellar Flare has a very appealing design and Trixie was appealing to me because she was different from all of the other ponies. 

Probably derpy. People feel compassion towards her because of her handicap. But they wouldn't have given a damn if that horse didn't happen to have crossed eyes. I would even venture to say she would be pretty much non-existent by now. It really goes to show the conditionality of human love. What a sad story. And they even made the mistake to give her a voice and make a character out of her mental deficiency, because of course if you have crossed eyes, you also have to be retarded, offending some people in the process. Since most of the producers probably don't have a clue as to what is like to a have a child with mental defiency. I've seen parents taking out their mentally handicapped children, and it looks like a tremendous burden on them, seeing shame in their eyes. Speaking of eyes.

• 9 months later...

Twilight - I absolutely adored her before she became princess. She was so cute and nerdy and innocent. But once she became princess the show started trying to make her more mature and ruin everything that made her adorable. Sunburst is everything Twilight should've been

Flurry Heart - Flurry Heart is so infuriating. She had potential, she really did. A baby alicorn that can't control her magic? That's an interesting concept! BUT THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH IT! In "A flurry of emotions" they could've just replaced Flurry Heart with Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake and it would change nothing. And when they actually do something with Flurry Heart that's interesting she's just ruining everything!

Sunset - I don't know why. I just don't like her. She doesn't have the same charm Starlight has

Pinkie Pie - She's just so annoying to me

I mostly think it's Rainbow Dash. She can be a jerk sometimes, which is her flaw, but some idolize her because of that. (Actually, I idolize her because of her confidence. She's truly cool, but what about the other characters?)

Also, 

-Trixie

-Starlight Glimmer

- The Royal Sisters (respectfully, they have their own fanclubs)

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash and Luna seems to have a ton of people obsessed with them. The Rainbow Dash train has slowed over the years though.

All the rest of the characters being mentioned aren't really overrated... because a good amount of people already dislike them.

I saw a comment mention Flurry Heart... really. Flurry Heart is the most hated thing in the show I think.