Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Equestria went into nuclear warfare?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

Think about it.

It's the future.

Ponyville has discovered other countries of the world and every country has nuclear weapons.

What would happen?

Would Ponyville die out?

What would happen to the main 6?

More importantly, what would happen to Celestia?

post-25645-0-76112500-1400327962_thumb.jpg

Edited by SC00TS

Seeing as the OP has changed the subject of his topic to a new one, I've removed the now off-topic posts responding to the old topic. Just in case anyone was wondering where their posts went. Carry on :)

• Brohoof 2

Against nuclear warfare, I'm not sure. Ponyville would surely die.However, if all the princesses combined their powers, maybe they could  create a shield or something protecting Canterlot at least against the bombs.

This means that Twilight and the others could possibly survive in Canterlot.

Kind of hard to answer your question ,since , well, we don't have any reference to compare nuclear bombs and magic

Against nuclear warfare, I'm not sure. Ponyville would surely die.However, if all the princesses combined their powers, maybe they could  create a shield or something protecting Canterlot at least against the bombs.

This means that Twilight and the others could possibly survive in Canterlot.

Kind of hard to answer your question ,since , well, we don't have any reference to compare nuclear bombs and magic

post-25645-0-62890300-1400330134.jpg

Of course.

The rich ponies live while the middle class ones are turned to ashes.

(edited)

Well, in the case of a nuclear warfare, you surely won't be able to save everypony.

The princesses are important for the survival of Equestria so they have to live.

And since most of them reside in Canterlot (or close to Canterlot, in the case of Twilight), then, they would focus on protecting Canterlot, I guess.

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Nuclear weapons are usless against unicorn magic lol Rariry would just see thebomb falling down and she would use her telekenisis to grab it and use it as jewlery or something.

Edited by TheWiseHippo
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't worry about such things.

Celestia runs a monarchy and not a divided landscape with different warring rulers and nations. They also don't have that level of weaponry or technology and there isn't an enemy that they need to protect themselves from. Maybe that's different if you read a ton of fanfiction where they are at war with the dragons or griffons but that's not cannon. Plus they can rely on magic which isn't inherently planet destroying like nukes are. Nuclear weapons is clearly a human technology and not necessarily a rational one. It creates peace by making the escalation of a threat of a nuclear war a reality to stop conflicts. I doubt people would willing build such technology today over far more rational weaponry. Clearly it was short-sighted.

I understand that people like Fallout Equestria but i don't understand why people need to interject Equestria with hypothetical nukes. It just seems paranoid, baseless, and frankly stupid. Just stahp.

Edited by Freewave

Why do people ask such silly questions? As if the creators of the show are gonna put nukes in a show for little girls!

Why are you so critical of people's threads?

It's an interesting question to ask and it starts conversation.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Let's see... there would be a lot of tension, a lot of fear, and when the bombs drop, a lot of lives ended. The princesses would find some way to survive, because there isn't a single leader in this world or the next that would hang around in their own country that's currently firing nukes and having nukes fired at it.

In short, all the innocent ones would die and all the ones responsible would live.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh! And so I spot another thread on my favorite subject; weapons of mass destruction and how to use them on cute, innocent critters!

So, I firmly believe that magic has no business in countering the launch of a warhead, only Discord or someone like him would obviously do something about it.

Now, we are talking about modern era missiles rather than the ww2 era ones most people associate them with, simply because they are more fun! So first off we would need to describe whether we are dealing with fission or fusion weapons. I am going to go fusion with this since those hold the greater damage potential (also called hydrogen bombs for those unfamiliar). They get their power from fission too, but they often use the fusion reactions between hydrogen isotopes to trigger even more fission reactions, which in turn creates more energy! As a delievery we are going to go with a ballistic missile that can hold a full warhead instead of a cruise missile for example, which has a smaller load limit. 

So, these things considered, (and the fact that they would actually have the resources and the knowledge to produce these) let us throw a quick, bare bones scenario.

So, bad times, something political happened between Equestrians and the griffons that even friendship and hugs can't solve. Long story short the birds decide to erase the ponies off the map and proceed to launch a warhead straight at Canterlot, what happens in the following minutes?

As the payload is launched and it speeds upwards in order to escape the atmosphere at the average speed of ten fighter planes combined, what are the Equestrians going to do? Well, unless they have developed advanced nuke detection systems they are not going to do anything, but I assume they have even some means of detection as the OP states every country having nukes. Depending on the distance they have only minutes before the big kaboom, making evacuation and such attempts futile. Civvies should be instructed to bunkers that just might spare their lives if luck throws all sixes with her dice. Knowing the ponies, someone will try to be the hero and use magic to stop the missile, likely the princesses themselves. 

What would they attempt? A shield? They surely cannot grab it from the orbit as it is too fast; when it is visible by bare eyes it is already too late to react properly. Weighs more than a ton too so I am going to roll with the shield option. 

Now, alicorns are of course rather powerful, but the moment they are exposed to a several megaton "city killer", 35 percent of the blast is instantly released as thermal radiation, which directly translates to blinding light and extreme heat. Even ponies 20 miles away would suffer from instant flash blindness so I see their attempts looking quite futile even now when anything proper has yet to happen. If they somehow are not phased by being blinded forever, the mere heat of the radiation would give critters 10 miles away third degree burns, which pretty much translates to apocalyptic heat at the explosion epicenter. (300000 Celsius or 540000 degrees Fahrenheit to be less dramatic). 

That is not, however, even the dangerous part. The casualty rates rise because of the blast. About half of the bomb's energy is expressed in the form of a concussive blast, which would be immense with a several megaton device. The entire city of Canterlot would be vaporized with the mountain it's standing on. Add a few miles of the surrounding area to that and you have only the center. 

And remember, all of this happens in a split second.

Without adding any more filler to this unnecessarily long wall of text I personally think it is rather safe to say that there is no saving from an atomic bomb if a war came to Equestria.

Edited by Corvino
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Corvino said:

Ooh! And so I spot another thread on my favorite subject; weapons of mass destruction and how to use them on cute, innocent critters!

So, I firmly believe that magic has no business in countering the launch of a warhead, only Discord or someone like him would obviously do something about it.

Now, we are talking about modern era missiles rather than the ww2 era ones most people associate them with, simply because they are more fun! So first off we would need to describe whether we are dealing with fission or fusion weapons. I am going to go fusion with this since those hold the greater damage potential (also called hydrogen bombs for those unfamiliar). They get their power from fission too, but they often use the fusion reactions between hydrogen isotopes to trigger even more fission reactions, which in turn creates more energy! As a delievery we are going to go with a ballistic missile that can hold a full warhead instead of a cruise missile for example, which has a smaller load limit. 

So, these things considered, (and the fact that they would actually have the resources and the knowledge to produce these) let us throw a quick, bare bones scenario.

So, bad times, something political happened between Equestrians and the griffons that even friendship and hugs can't solve. Long story short the birds decide to erase the ponies off the map and proceed to launch a warhead straight at Canterlot, what happens in the following minutes?

As the payload is launched and it speeds upwards in order to escape the atmosphere at the average speed of ten fighter planes combined, what are the Equestrians going to do? Well, unless they have developed advanced nuke detection systems they are not going to do anything, but I assume they have even some means of detection as the OP states every country having nukes. Depending on the distance they have only minutes before the big kaboom, making evacuation and such attempts futile. Civvies should be instructed to bunkers that just might spare their lives if luck throws all sixes with her dice. Knowing the ponies, someone will try to be the hero and use magic to stop the missile, likely the princesses themselves. 

What would they attempt? A shield? They surely cannot grab it from the orbit as it is too fast; when it is visible by bare eyes it is already too late to react properly. Weighs more than a ton too so I am going to roll with the shield option. 

Now, alicorns are of course rather powerful, but the moment they are exposed to a several megaton "city killer", 35 percent of the blast is instantly released as thermal radiation, which directly translates to blinding light and extreme heat. Even ponies 20 miles away would suffer from instant flash blindness so I see their attempts looking quite futile even now when anything proper has yet to happen. If they somehow are not phased by being blinded forever, the mere heat of the radiation would give critters 10 miles away third degree burns, which pretty much translates to apocalyptic heat at the explosion epicenter. (300000 Celsius or 540000 degrees Fahrenheit to be less dramatic). 

That is not, however, even the dangerous part. The casualty rates rise because of the blast. About half of the bomb's energy is expressed in the form of a concussive blast, which would be immense with a several megaton device. The entire city of Canterlot would be vaporized with the mountain it's standing on. Add a few miles of the surrounding area to that and you have only the center. 

And remember, all of this happens in a split second.

Without adding any more filler to this unnecessarily long wall of text I personally think it is rather safe to say that there is no saving from an atomic bomb if a war came to Equestria.

None of this is an issue for Celestia, long before the bomb even is made she will be informed in every detail by Starswirl.

She simply by magic then transform the needed material for the bomb into muffins, and Derpy eats them all instantly.

So by magic there is no threat from any form of evilness for anypony.

Rember how the six elements was created ?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Corvino said:

Yeah I guess. But where's the fun in that? :D I guess I just need to grab my nukes and go to frown in a corner.

:) The fun is : You can´t hurt Equestria... they are perfected and will exist into..... eternity. :) 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

They'd have their soldiers defend Equestria for as long as needed while having their scientists collectively experiment with spells and magic until they make a breakthrough where the unicorns could cast spells that have the power to absorb or deflect nuclear weaponry and it's effects. At first it would be rough and there would be many causalities, but if those spells could be invented then in the end Equestrians just might survive the horrific war and it's aftermath.