Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies singing the MLP theme in public. Why?

tripfly

(edited)

Um...why the hostility, guys? Sure, it's pretty much social suicide on their parts, and I wouldn't be caught dead doing anything like that in public (surrounded by bronies or not), but it's just a bunch of nerds having fun; I wouldn't think any differently of a gathering of Star Wars nerds chanting that theme song. Why do we all need to be so concerned about how the behavior of bronies like these "reflects upon the whole fandom"? If a stereotype doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you. Simple as that. No need to denigrate people who are just having fun because "They make the rest of us look bad! D:"

Edited by The Thrashy One
  • Brohoof 31

Someone linked me this a while ago and I just couldn't stop laughing at it. There's no videos of "normal" bronies out there, so naturally the reputation of the show and its fans will get dragged through the mud when videos like this pop up across the interwebz. And there's nothing we can do about it, sadly :D

• Brohoof 5

Generally, packs of animals tend to make a lot of noise in the hopes of warding off potential predators or to attract potential members of the pack. Thus, they were either:

1) Trying to ward off predators who they thought would view them with hostility by proudly expressing their individuality, unaware that 90% of people are probably incredibly apathetic to bronies. Except when their goddamn warbling, toneless noise is putting them off their lunch, in which case the Big Macs fly and punches are exchanged.

2) They were trying to strike a chord with any potential bronies in the area, increasing the size of their herd. It probably failed as its incredibly fucking obnoxious to just burst out loudly into song when people are probably there just to eat and relax. You may think "Oh, it's a bit of fun", but you burst out singing in Starbucks and see what happens. You will get looks, but they won't be "Wow, they're so cool. I wish I was more like them." looks, they will be "I CAME HERE FOR PEACE. YOU CAME HERE FOR WAR. WAR IT IS, THEN. YOUR SHATTERED CORPSE WILL MAKE A GRAND SACRIFICE TO THE OLD GODS." looks or something along those lines.

• Brohoof 7

Seriously, guys? Where's your brony pride?

I agree one hundred percent with @The Thrashy One

These guys are PROUD bronies, they don't hide in the closet. (Which I know some of you still do.)

So why the complaining? Why even make this forum? These guys are just being themselves, and I know that can be hard for a lot of people. I would tottaly do this if I had any brony friends. Heck, I don't need brony friends and I would still do this. Y'know why? Because I am a proud brony. I do not hide in the closet, I let my light shine.

So in a summery: C'MON GUYS THIS IS COOL, WHERE'S YOUR BRAVERY AT?!

Meeting adjourned.

• Brohoof 4

Meh. I can live with this.

I don't find it "Offensive" to the fandom or anything like that. It's just a bunch of guys (And I think a girl) having some fun in a Mcdonalds. I'm actually proud of them. They're expressing their bronydom, and they're not afraid to show it in a public area.

So, I think you guys should lay off. Let them have their fun.

• Brohoof 6

Emerald <3, on 28 May 2014 - 2:58 PM, said:

I never thought bronyism was a thing to even be proud about. Something like this would be done because it's just fun to do, not as some sort of symbol of misplaced pride.
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Guys, we're grown men and women watching a show about candy-colored ponies that learn about friendship and occasionally shoot rainbows.

We're gonna be frowned upon by others no matter what we do, so why not have a little fun?

Edited by MilesTheLunar
  • Brohoof 3

It's not that I'm not proud of them for openly expressing that they're fans of the show... And actually I myself would probably enjoy it being that I (obviously) am a brony, but... You have to look at this kind of thing from the perspective of someone who has never even heard of a "fandom" or something like that, or just simply is not involved in a particular one... I mean... If you are trying to be loud and obtrusive around others in public by singing something of a particular show in hopes to attract attention... It really is kinda a bit annoying then... (Again, I am not talking of my personal outlook of it... Heck, if I wasn't as shy and unwilling to take "the spotlight" as I am... I would probably even join in with them ^3^) Now, if they are just simply doing it quietly amongst themselves... And not with the intent of disturbing others in any way, I don't really see a problem with it... :/

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Okay, they can do whatever they want. Brony pride, good for them. That's fine with me. 

Just... if some group nearby you happens to randomly burst into song at the top of their lungs while you're trying to eat and relax, how would you feel? That is, if you're not a brony. Seriously, put yourselves in the shoes of a bystander for just a second. I get that it's good to be yourself and not give a care about anyone else, but there's a time and place for certain things. If you don't regard people around you, then you're being extremely inconsiderate.

Edited by Clarity-chan
  • Brohoof 8

I agree one hundred percent with @The Thrashy One

These guys are PROUD bronies, they don't hide in the closet. (Which I know some of you still do.)

I'm willing to bet that people complain because of the second-hand embarrassment which is a form of shame which itself is the polar opposite of pride. So really, "brony pride" means different things to different people. In any case, they feel as though their own image have been affected in a negative way so it could be said that these people's pride were hurt (even more).

These types of backlash and conflicts is pretty much the reason why I recommend against having any pride or shame with being a brony. Why attach your identity to this fandom and put your self-esteem on the line? That just doesn't make sense to me.

It is just a bunch of nerdy guys being a bit too loud for their particular setting, bronies aren't the only ones guilty of this so singling them out is a bit ridiculous.

These types of backlash and conflicts is pretty much the reason why I recommend against having any pride or shame with being a brony. Why attach your identity to this fandom and put your self-esteem on the line? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I may not go out of my way to tell people but I also refuse to hide it, sure I am not going  to do what these guys did at least not in the same context (wrong time and wrong place) and I have always treated it as a part of me and not the sum of my entire being but I still abide by a simple philsophy of if haters don't like it they can go fuck themselves. 

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifpixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif581 dislikes...  You wanna do things like this do it in private. You can see that one guy looking totally embarrassed by this. I believe this is the main reason I'm an outcast. I like the people I'm with most of the time, but it's completely humiliating to be with them at times like this. No offense to them, they can be themselves, its just there will always be an opposing force... : P

Guys, we're grown men and women watching a show about candy-colored ponies that learn about friendship and occasionally shoot rainbows.

We're gonna be frowned upon by others no matter what we do, so why not have a little fun?

This post makes me want to take a bite out of a pony... They do look like candy...

._______.

Okaaay. Didn't see that coming, tbh. What's not right here is they told the other people to be quiet so they could sing that. In a public restaurant. If you can call McDonalds that.

I honestly don't think it's that bad...I've seen worse brony videos.

Certainly it's somwhat disrespectful and unnecessary, but it's not the worst thing in the world. It's just the theme song.

I may not go out of my way to tell people but I also refuse to hide it, sure I am not going  to do what these guys did at least not in the same context (wrong time and wrong place) and I have always treated it as a part of me and not the sum of my entire being but I still abide by a simple philosophy of if haters don't like it they can go fuck themselves.

It's difficult to really tell just how seriously you take brony pride... With your philosophy, how do you execute it?

What exactly do you mean when you say you "refuse to hide it"? To what extent? What statement do you think you are making by doing that?

A wide variety of people can say that their relationship to the fandom is a part of themselves as opposed to the sum of their entire being. This lack of selectivity again makes it very difficult to gauge where you stand on this whole brony pride thing.

All said, assuming this is a rebuttal to what I said, you don't make it very clear to me what the criticism is. Heck, you might be agreeing with me for all I know.

Well, aside from the fact that the MLP theme song is probably the last song from the show as there are much, much better ones, this really isn't that bad of a thing. They're just having fun in public, if they want to embarrass themselves then that's their problem, although you gotta be pretty have quite a bit of self-esteem to be able to sing in public like that. I kinda commend them actually. :yay:

• Brohoof 1