Attached vs. embedded image display dimensions question

Justin_Case001
Go to solution Solved by SCS,

I searched for an answer to this question exhaustively, and found none.  I apologize if this has been answered already.

Sorry if the title sounded confusing.  It's actually a pretty simple question.  I am wondering why there is a difference in the dimensions displayed between images uploaded from one's computer vs. images embedded via url.  Here, let me show you.

Here's an image attached from my computer:

post-26336-0-50957900-1402922543_thumb.png

Right?  Ok, now here's the exact same image embedded via url:

MLP-pics-my-little-pony-friendship-is-ma

See?  Why can't I make the attachment full-rez like this?  I made a picture that I'd like to post in fan art, but it's kind of tall like this one, and, like this, it's barely visible when I attach it.  I just want to know if I need to make an imgur account or something, and upload it there first, or if there's a way I can make it display properly by just attaching it.  I know if users click on it, they can view the full image, but I want to make it as convenient as possible for folks.  Maybe I'm just blind and missing something really obvious.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time.

• Brohoof 1

blogentry-26336-0-55665700-1413783982.jp

(edited)

Hey there, @Justin_Case001. I apologize for the late response to your question.

I'm honestly not sure why this happens, but my best guess is that that's just a result of how the IP.Board attachment system was designed. It is worth noting, however, that clicking on either image results in a full-size version appearing with a link to the raw image.

Whether or not this is a setting that could be changed in the ACP to rectify this incongruity or an inherent aspect of the attachment system that may be difficult to alter, I do not know. 

I'll get in contact with some other staff members regarding this thread, and I'll let you know if I'm able to find any further information about this, unless they wish to post themselves.

I talked to feld0 about it, and it turns out that this is intentional. Ideally, all images in posts would be attachments due to the fact that attachments here automatically generate a smaller thumbnail that is displayed in the post. This helps cut down on high loading times and such, because having a lot of large thumbnails on a page can slow it down significantly. This also helps avoid people having their screen cluttered by large images, which is particularly useful for people who do not have a lot of screen space to work with.

Due to IP.Board's limitations, images that are embedded without using the attachment system do not generate thumbnails. 

As this answers your question, I will go ahead and lock this topic.

Edited by SCS
Added information, and fixed a typo.
  • Brohoof 2

MLPFSignature.png.59d9585b08bc894da6c58dade70c9bab.png

• 5 years later...