Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Final Fantasy Favorites

GammaDove

What's your favorite Final Fantasy game and why? I personally found Final Fantasy VII to be my favorite because I was trying to find out who I am when I started playing it, so it's main theme was very easily relatable to me.

• Brohoof 2

I love FFVI, FFVII, FFX, and FFXIII (I haven't finished FFXIII yet, so don't spoil it for me!)

I love Final Fantasy! I'm sorry, but the reasons I love those games are just so "duh" that I don't know how to express my love!

By the way, Pony Rule #34: There is a pony of it. No exceptions.

flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I love FFVI, FFVII, FFX, and FFXIII (I haven't finished FFXIII yet, so don't spoil it for me!)

I love Final Fantasy! I'm sorry, but the reasons I love those games are just so "duh" that I don't know how to express my love!

By the way, Pony Rule #34: There is a pony of it. No exceptions.

flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg

I love all of them, but it was a tough match between FFIII and FFVII.

• Brohoof 1

Final Fantasy Tactics, different yet similar to a traditional FF game, one of the best protagonists in a FInal Fantasy game, epic story, epic music, the list goes on

Also Final Fantasy VIII(Fuck off I loved it) 

• Brohoof 2

I think I'd played an RPG or two before it, but Final Fantasy VI was the game that made me go, "OMG I guess I love RPGs!"  I loved the characters: Edgar, Mog, Cyan, and Terra in particular.  The soundtrack was brilliant: "Devil's Lab," "Wild West," Kefka's theme, "Kids Run Through the City," and everything else.  I still think it looks darn good, graphically; I don't care about the superdeformed character sprites - the enemy sprites are works of art.  And there's a major event that takes place at a certain point in the game that just...  Well, go play it lol (assuming you haven't).  Opera House, Coliseum, The Returners, imp and Moogle demo scenes lol, etc.  Also, Genji Glove + Offering FTW!

• Brohoof 1

I've always had a great love for the series as a whole but in more recent years I've found that I don't much care for the original games. I actually like the direction the series is going.

My favorites are IX, Dirge of Cerberus, Crystal Chronicles and XIII-2. I've yet to beat XIII-2 or play Lightning Returns but I think the XIII series has my favorite universe overall.

I can't wait for FFXV. That game looks so bitchin' and I expect it to be one of my favorites as well.

• Brohoof 1

The XIII universe is where it's at as far as I'm concerned, although XIII-2 and Lightning Returns were a massive improvement over the first. I guess it's mainly to do with my obsession of story over actual gameplay, both of which I enjoyed massively when playing the XIII series.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a FF maniac.  Here's how I tend to group them:

Favorites:  VI, VII, VIII, XII, XIII, Tactics, Dirge

Middle: I, II, IV

Least Favorties: III, V, IX, X

I've noticed that X always seems to be many people's favorite.  Sure, I liked it, but imo it was probably my least favorite.  Now, even the worst FF is still great, but yeah, it was probably my least favorite.  The reason it because it's basically just FF1 with a PS2 skin.  The battles were so boring.  No atb--just set turns in order, like 1.  You can set the controller down, unpaused, and just walk away, and nothing will ever happen.  Boring.  And don't me started on the camera.  I realize that was their first crack at PS2, but by then they really needed a free look.  The fixed camera angles in the PS1 games worked perfectly, particularly in 8.  But X's camera drove me nuts.  Here's the reason: the camera follows closely behind you, but you can't rotate it around, so you walk through a dungeon one way, then you can't see where you're going when you go back out.  You just have to look at the map or backtrack by memory.  I just want to rotate the camera 180 so bad.  So, those were my problems with X.

Tactics and Dirge are a couple of amazing gems that are often overlooked and underappreciated.  And XII as well.  XII didn't get good reviews and wasn't very commercially successful, but it may be my absolute favorite, simply because of the combat.  I want more FF games like that, with completely transition free, uninterrupted combat where you can actually move around, and you're not taken to a separate encounter screen.  It was genius.  Plus, I think Fran is the sexiest fictional character ever created of all time.

Another quick thing I'd like to mention is that FF2 is arguable the most unusual and interesting due to the way abilities and attributes are managed.  The Use-It-Or-Lose-It system, as I call it.  No other game I have ever played has ever attempted anything quite like that.  It was very unusual and a lot of fun.  And it provided the most unique opportunity for power leveling--beating yourself up.  Just beat your own ass into oblivion and your health will skyrocket to ludicrous levels.  So much fun.

My favorite Final Fantasy games would have to be Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI Advance, Final Fantasy Tactics War of The Lions, Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy VIII.

I'm a FF maniac.  Here's how I tend to group them:

Favorites:  VI, VII, VIII, XII, XIII, Tactics, Dirge

Middle: I, II, IV

Least Favorties: III, V, IX, X

I've noticed that X always seems to be many people's favorite.  Sure, I liked it, but imo it was probably my least favorite.  Now, even the worst FF is still great, but yeah, it was probably my least favorite.  The reason it because it's basically just FF1 with a PS2 skin.  The battles were so boring.  No atb--just set turns in order, like 1.  You can set the controller down, unpaused, and just walk away, and nothing will ever happen.  Boring.  And don't me started on the camera.  I realize that was their first crack at PS2, but by then they really needed a free look.  The fixed camera angles in the PS1 games worked perfectly, particularly in 8.  But X's camera drove me nuts.  Here's the reason: the camera follows closely behind you, but you can't rotate it around, so you walk through a dungeon one way, then you can't see where you're going when you go back out.  You just have to look at the map or backtrack by memory.  I just want to rotate the camera 180 so bad.  So, those were my problems with X.

Tactics and Dirge are a couple of amazing gems that are often overlooked and underappreciated.  And XII as well.  XII didn't get good reviews and wasn't very commercially successful, but it may be my absolute favorite, simply because of the combat.  I want more FF games like that, with completely transition free, uninterrupted combat where you can actually move around, and you're not taken to a separate encounter screen.  It was genius.  Plus, I think Fran is the sexiest fictional character ever created of all time.

Another quick thing I'd like to mention is that FF2 is arguable the most unusual and interesting due to the way abilities and attributes are managed.  The Use-It-Or-Lose-It system, as I call it.  No other game I have ever played has ever attempted anything quite like that.  It was very unusual and a lot of fun.  And it provided the most unique opportunity for power leveling--beating yourself up.  Just beat your own ass into oblivion and your health will skyrocket to ludicrous levels.  So much fun.

would the difference between the rankings of III an VI be based on them being the exact same game?

Honestly, I started with Final Fantasy VII and then played the games in order after that.

It was only several years ago that I started playing 1-6 on emulators.

But oddly enough? My favorite Final Fantasy game was a spin-off...

Dirgeofcerberususbox.jpg

It let me know a lot more about a formerly mysterious character (who had always been a favorite of mine!) and had a rich story in my honest opinion.

I hope it counts  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

would the difference between the rankings of III an VI be based on them being the exact same game?

Except they aren't. You're probably thinking how FFVI was released as FFIII in the US originally but FFIII has been released as the original FFIII now and there is literally no reason to call FFVI by it's previous US title.

• Brohoof 1

Except they aren't. You're probably thinking how FFVI was released as FFIII in the US originally but FFIII has been released as the original FFIII now and there is literally no reason to call FFVI by it's previous US title.

Exactly right.  The decision to call FFIV and VI, II and III, respectively, when they were released in the US on the SNES was a stupid one that caused a lot of unnecessary confusion.

@@GammaDove:  This is actually FFVI:

ff3boxfront.jpg

And this is actually FFIV:

3621_front.jpg

The earlier FF games, 1-3, were not released outside of Japan until fairly recently.  I first played 2 in FF Origins for the PS1, and I played a fan translated ROM of 3 before it was ever released in the US.  Now we have all kinds of newfanggled, 3-D versions of all the oldies.  I think there's 3-D versions of 1-6 on the DS, or the 3DS or something.  Idk, I don't have those consoles.  I just played the original super nintendo versions, Origins, and emulated for 3 and 5.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly right.  The decision to call FFIV and VI, II and III, respectively, when they were released in the US on the SNES was a stupid one that caused a lot of unnecessary confusion.

@@GammaDove:  This is actually FFVI:

img-2800981-1-ff3boxfront.jpg

And this is actually FFIV:

img-2800981-2-3621_front.jpg

The earlier FF games, 1-3, were not released outside of Japan until fairly recently.  I first played 2 in FF Origins for the PS1, and I played a fan translated ROM of 3 before it was ever released in the US.  Now we have all kinds of newfanggled, 3-D versions of all the oldies.  I think there's 3-D versions of 1-6 on the DS, or the 3DS or something.  Idk, I don't have those consoles.  I just played the original super nintendo versions, Origins, and emulated for 3 and 5.

FFIII and FFIV are the only ones that have gotten 3D remakes on DS. I think a couple of them have "enhanced sprites" versions on mobile devices though. The new sprites are actually pretty fugly. :lol:

VII by far my favorite but i also loved VIII, X, X-2, and yes even XI (had 5 75 jobs before capped raised to100) and currently playing XIV, I lvl 88 whm

Also i have this to try out

C3F329B8-B5EB-4AF4-9A38-F9D6EBE92B6A_zps

Well, Final Fantasy VII was my first video game ever, so it hold a special place in my heart. Though I actually never completed it until last year.

I also do not share the almost universal hate for XIII (that I don't understand)

But my favorite is XII, for special reasons. Ok, so I have Schizophrenia. It's only a mild case, but it's tough sometimes none the less. When I was younger...there were nights when I downright REFUSED to try and sleep. So what would I do during those nights? Play my beloved PS2. And I would need a game that I could place for the long hours of the night without having to worry about it running out. Then XII came to my rescue. I literally spent days with this game just doing the shit ton of side quests (seriously, more sidequests in FF please) this game had before I even attempted to continue the story, and that was only because I had run out of side quests. So yeah, XII holds a special place in my heart