Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First time buying merch?

Applesmack & Brandy

My friend and I took a trip to our local Toys R Us and stayed in that pink aisle for nearly an hour.

The blind bags we found weren't numbered at the top, so we had to peek at the color palette of each pony through a tiny hole in each packet. Got what we wanted, after an annoyingly long struggle. Once you've been in a section for 10 minutes, you just don't care anymore. I've got video evidence, but I need to find a way to convert Android phone video files to my computer X3.

(I got Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and... some canon pony ._.)

Point is, just do it.

Nobody cares.

(Actually, some people do. We got lots of strange looks and a store associate asked us if we needed help. We replied, "Nope. Just looking for the ones we want." She left silently. Quite humorous.)

Also, you get a good feeling inside when a little girl runs into the aisle and out again because dudes are hogging the toys.

You know what's awesome? Walking into a girl's toy aisle, walking to the mlp section, and seeing a fellow brony looking through the figures. Then you have someone to talk to while you look for what you want, and occasionally, make a new friend xD

My friend and I took a trip to our local Toys R Us and stayed in that pink aisle for nearly an hour.

The blind bags we found weren't numbered at the top, so we had to peek at the color palette of each pony through a tiny hole in each packet. Got what we wanted, after an annoyingly long struggle. Once you've been in a section for 10 minutes, you just don't care anymore. I've got video evidence, but I need to find a way to convert Android phone video files to my computer X3.

(I got Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and... some canon pony ._.)

Point is, just do it.

Nobody cares.

(Actually, some people do. We got lots of strange looks and a store associate asked us if we needed help. We replied, "Nope. Just looking for the ones we want." She left silently. Quite humorous.)

Also, you get a good feeling inside when a little girl runs into the aisle and out again because dudes are hogging the toys.

I like how I can watch that video on here, but not on youtube because I'm not 18 xD

Let's hope youtube doesn't realize that lol

I've been a cashier, and cashiers see people buying so much strange stuff that a guy buying pony toys won't mean a thing to them. (In most cases, anyway.) The only way a store employee would even raise an eyebrow is if you look nervous and embarrassed about your purchase. Then they'll be wondering why you look nervous. (As a cashier, if I saw someone looking nervous in my store I'd wonder if they were stealing. ... That's generally what cashiers will think of, first.) If you strut over to the checkout like it's the most normal thing in the world (which it is) then no one will even look at you. It's all about your demeanor and self-confidence. If you're calm and self-confident, they'll just assume you're buying the toy for a niece or something.

People who are most likely to give you grief about buying pony toys are high schoolers, so if you have a choice of cashiers, choose an older person who just won't give a flying fart what you're buying.

Purchase proudly, ponies! :lol:

Edited by SydneyGrey
  • Brohoof 1

The first and so far only pony merchandise I have bought it is a shirt with a silhouette of Rainbow Dash with her cutie mark and above her it says "Brony".

I was at the mall with my mom and we wandered into Hot Topic. I saw some pony shirts up on the wall and whispered to my mom, "See they know what's cool". So I went over and started looking at them. One of the employees came over and asked us if we needed any help. My mom immediately spurted out, "My son likes ponies and he is looking at the shirts".(BTW that was entirely unnecessary although it is what pushed me to actually buy one) The employee then showed me over to another section of shirts(I was looking at the female shirts the whole time. They only had one style for males http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png ) I was nervous when I walked up to the counter to pay for the shirt. I was expecting some awkward comments/looks. Everything actually went better than expected and I proudly strutted out of the store with my new pony shirt ;)

I want to, I want to sooooooo badly, but I'm too embarrased to find the toys and go to the checkout where the cashier rings them up, hence them seeing that I'm buying MLP toys.

But one day I'll overcome that fear and by them all!! *laughs evilly, then coughs*

• Brohoof 1

I've never bought pony merchandise in a store. Not from lack of trying though - the closest Toys R' Us is in another state, and the local Walmart is too small and doesn't carry blind bags.

The only official merchandise I have is one of those twelve pony collectable sets, which I bought online, and a six pony brushable set that my little sister got me for Christmas (which she claims was 60% serious, 40% gag gift). Beyond that, however, all my pony merchandise was fan-made (commissions, trade, etc).

You do know you can see what pony you will get by the numbers on the back, right?

Wouldn't that ruin the fun? Don't you like surprises?

I did it! :lol:

Waltzed into Walmart after work, like a boss. Put on my cool face and strolled to the girl's toy aisle. Picked out Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash figures, paid, and then waltzed out, LIKE A BOSS. But it was like, eleven at night, and I did buy a few other things that I needed, so it wasn't really all that nerve-wracking. The cashier didn't even say a word.

Just act like it's no big deal, 'cause really, it isn't. I shall be buying more in the future :)

Edited by MasterCombine

Wouldn't that ruin the fun? Don't you like surprises?

Yes, I do like surprises, but this isn't.

Lets say you want Twilight soooooo much and only get the other ponies, wouldn't you get pissed? The fun ends when you see that you finally got Twilight and spent over 9000$ getting her.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first pony as a child, so I couldn't tell you where I got it :D But nowadays, I buy it *everywhere*. Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, wherever will have me. And I ALWAYS make conversation with the cashier. Usually they ask about the ponies, and I tell them about the show or episodes, or other fun facts. But my FAVORITE thing is when my phone rings in public, because it's Smile Smile Smile. And honestly, my phone has NEVER rung in public and NOT brought a smile to a nearby person's face. It's *awesome*. I have no problems bringing pony merch to the register :3 I do have a problem once I've bought everything that's readily available though : I don't do doubles. Or playsets typically. Too big to store ._.

(edited)

My first pony purchases were a couple of blind bag ponies from Wal Mart a few weeks ago. Yes, I'm that new! :D

But today I had time so I raided Hot Topic & came home with a sticker, a button and a shirt! Fluttershy says 'yay'. <3

In the interim I found a couple of ponies at thrift stores, bought a couple offa ebay, and have a couple more coming from ebay now. Oh, and I got a Twilight Sparkle necklace from a gal on etsy.

ETA--wish I'd known you could tell what was in the packages. I got 3 of one pony. But I experimented on the spares and figured out how to mount them so now I have a keychain and a zipper pull. lol. And the excitement when I picked the last lonely bag out of the bottom of the box at Wal mart today and it was sparkly Twilight!! (dances)

Edited by dixiehellcat
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten anything as of yet, and I really don't plan on getting the toys any time soon, but I WAS going to buy the Brony shirt from Hot Topic. I was really, REALLY nervous, so nervous that I was shaking... but then I found out I didn't have enough money on my gift card to get it anyways. Made me both sad and relieved. I AM going to get it though. Some time I will. Some time...

Bought my first actual MLP merch today(besides the DVD), 2 blind bag kiosk ponies. Ended up with Minty and Sweetie Blue, who pretty much look exactly the freakin' same... kinda pissed me off, but whatevs. -_- There were a few more left, and I hope to get more soon, so hopefully next time I'll have more luck...

I had been resisting the urge to love and collect MLP for just over a year when I finally caved ... last Wednesday.

Hubbs and I got bored and went on a late-night trip (think, like, 3 a.m.) to Wal-Mart. I decided to mosey over and see what they had in the MLP section. Funny too, because it was blocked off with yellow Caution tape, but I throw Caution to the wind and went in anyway. Next thing I knew I had Pinkie Pie & Fluttershy MLP figures and a Fashion Style Rainbow Dash in my hands. And hubbs was resigning himself to the thought that this was happening. :D

• 1 month later...

Comic store does not count for me but I did go to a local Toys R Us to get some blind bags. I was slightly worried, glad it was a slow day! :D But what made the trip was the Cashier could tell from my two blind bags that I was a brony XD that added some comfort. but yah, my confidence is raised in getting MLP Merch :D

The first thing I bought was 3 t-shirts from redbubble. I actually ordered them just yesterday and haven't got them yet. But buying over the internet isn't that hard.

I actually just bought, about 30 min ago, my first MLP figure in a store! They didn't have that many to choose from (They had Pinkie Pie and Applejack) so I chose Applejack :)

It wasn't hard at all for me. I just walked in the mall, looking for some clothes and saw the toy store and thought to myself: "Why not?" So I walked up, found the MLP section, searched after Fluttershy but didn't find her :( Went to the register, payed and went out. Just as others have said it's all about being cool about it. Act like it's totally normal, they will probably think that you're buying it as a gift anyway. If you're still nervous you can ask them if they could wrap it up. That shows them that you're probably giving it away as a gift and that it's not meant for you. But I think that they think that you're buying it as a gift anyway, or just doesn't care.

My first time was buying a t-shirt at Hot Topic. The guy there was cool about it and didn't say anything. I was nervous of course, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Like others said, I don't think they really care.

This thread is a great read. I have experienced what a lot here have. I haven't been to a store yet in fear of embarrassing myself... But I can feel that soon I will break free from this shell.

Should I go to Toys R Us in my new pony t-shirt?! I feel like this weekend is going to be a great time. Maybe I'll record it!