Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Changlings genders and such?

jaime_lion

So I have a question on changeling gender and sexual reproduction that I am hoping we can talk about maturely but if not mods you know what to do.

So I was reading a fan fic it is called brushed away 2 I highly recommend it. But anyway in it a male changeling transforms into a female griffon and has sex with a male griffon. Is that changeling still male or is it female? Also is it possible for the changeling to get pregnant while a female? If a changeling transforming into a griffon is too much then substitute pony for griffon.

Well, I like to imagine there being Changeling mares and stallions and that they reproduce sexually like ponies, save for laying large clutches of eggs instead of live individual births.

As for your scenario, I suppose it's possible that a male could then become pregnant if their organs change as well once they transform, but if they don't, I guess not. Ehhh, I imagine it's a bit of a murky area, so a lot of changelings would try and avoid such a situation.

Well, It's hard to say, considering such a thing shall never really be addressed.

I'd have to say that my theory on the subject is that changelings can only mate when they are in their normal changeling forms. And therefore whenever they change into a pony or another creature of the opposite, or even same gender, they either entirely lose their reproductive organs temporarily, or maybe they simply lose the use of them temporarily. It's also possible that maybe everything besides their reproductive organs are changed, and they still retain their female/male reproductive organs respectively, regardless of the gender they change into.

Considering ponies, and the rest of Equestrias inhabitants really, have all their reproductive organs hidden very well out of sight, they wouldn't really need to have their reproductive organs change to fool most anyways.

It's also possible that they are genderless or something, and are able to reproduce with any changelings, but none others, or maybe they do something odd like produce Aseuxally. 

Still, I think regardless that a Changeling couldn't reproduce with another species, just because it seems like there would be a lot of issues involved.

And I don't think a male changeling could become a female changeling, and become pregnant, I feel like again, either they have non functioning reproductive organs, or they simply can't reproduce with non changelings, but I feel like their bodies would have some defense against that, considering if their organs do change at all based on gender, and they did have let's say a male change into a female and get pregnant, then once the changeling changes into a male again, it would basically end up dieing or something, or the offspring would die one, or both, because the male wouldn't have the reproductive organs to support a child, and it would just lead to a lot of bad things. 

So, regardless of which theory exactly that I'm going with, I think that regardless a changeling is unable to reproduce with any non changelings.

• Brohoof 1

I would guess its all depending on which headcanon changelings follow.  If they forms are simply an illusion or do they biologically change their form.   If it was the later one then it depends on i their genetics are changed as well (if they had a foal as a mare for example would the foal be pure pony or half changeling (if that is even possible depending on your headcanon.) 

Edited by Kuyon

• 10 months later...

Well, considering that Changelings are shape shifters, IMO their gender is about like their underwear -changed as necessary (EW! EW! EW! Yick!) For reproduction, that comes down to "Is the shift purely cosmetic or does it go down to the genetic level?"  There is also the question "How much like insects are they?"  It could be that only the queens reproduce, the others can have sex but would be sterile.

My head canon is that changelings are all hermaphroditic, possessed of both male and female reproductive organs. In hives (like what Queen Chrysalis rules), sexual obligations are regulated, with drones being selected to perform particular breeding functions to keep a strong, pure strain for the hive, and also further's the queen's capacity to exert totalitarian control on their changelings.

In situations where changelings do not have a hive, they tend to develop a preference in sexual identity. In shape-shifting, they can become reproductively compatible.

Sadly my headcanon for changelings was killed when Hasbro printed the following card:

g8b.jpg

States quite clearly that the changelings are clones. However I'll continue to believe what I want because I feel just saying they are clones is lazy writing. :c

• 3 months later...

I know this sounds funny and simple. But I beleive they reproduce like the zerg from starcraft. Thats why they are called clones thats why chrysalis needs love (DNA) to widen her armys varidy. Just because they are clones dosint mean they are completly differint. Its just easier to copy and past animations like guards etc lol. The queen is female. The stronger strains are male and the powerful magic wielders are female. When they shapeshift its an illusion when chrysalis looked in the mirror you could see who she really was. Its magic its as simple as a hologram. Chrysalis just needed to last till you may kiss the bride and then check mate. Luckly paranoid Twilight was thare to be like hey you are not cadence dat cadence ish a spy. I am mature about this I just like to be funny *pinkie pie adorible face*

Love is emotional attachmint they are similer to sucubi but insted of lust its love. Since freindship is magic they need love to strengthen their powers and make it posible to widen there evolution. As for their pregnancys its as simple as laying a few eggs now and then not really to painful after the first few times just gets tireing. I imagen 8 eggs can be laid every 9 months and that magic can be used to make it look like their is more changlings then thare are. Behold the power of the swarm. Ide love to see chrysalis reformed trying to be forgiven it would make a great episode. Cut out all this other mature content of course :) smily face.

As for interspecies ide speculate that its posible. Afterall freindship is magic. This portion is up to hasbro. Would they make changlings cats or spys? Both would make a good toy line.

I think a genderless clone would be the best answer. If they were hatched with a gender, that would make shape shifting difficult. With no gender they would not have to rearrange there internal structure every time they wanted to shape shift. Also the changeling design is pretty much a blank slate, excluding the Queen of course. There are no identifiable features that would indicate a specific gender for example eyelashes, main style, and body shape.  

I think it depends on how the changlings shift their shape. If they change their shape by telepathically affect their targets or produce a holographic image, they probably have two or more genders. If they are changing their shape from cellular level or even subatomic level, it is more likely that they do not have gender.

I think changelings can be both genders. The queen lays eggs which always hatch into females. The females lay eggs which always hatch into males. The males mate with the queen. Females(and queens) can reproduce asexually or sexually, but prefer mating to minimize defects. 

About the card: Chrysalis' army was entirely female genetic copies of herself. She created them to minimize resources used to build her army. They are technically "clones."

About the hypothetical question: Changelings can only change into an equine shape, therefore making it impossible for them to change into a griffon. :P  But seriously, although a male changeling could tweak his appearance to look like a mare, he would still technically be male.

• Brohoof 1

This is my head cannon.(And it doesn't make sense cause I'm weird like that. dx.)

sig-4197824.changeling_flying_by_botchan ====  sig-4197824.132.gif

Changling              Ditto

They both can copy things. dx.

And ditto can breed with anyone and the offspring it produces is the species of it's mate.

Therefore, since Changlings = Ditto, Changlings can breed with anyone and the offspring it produces is the species of it's mate.

dx. My headcannon is so wrong, but so fun. dx.

sig-4197824.QJDgo.gif

Edited by dohorcadrg
  • Brohoof 1