Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows Re-installation

Poetic Justice

Hello my tech-savvy friends.

I have an issue.

So, a few months ago, I got an ASUS desktop tower. Well, the time has come that I need to format my drives and re-install windows. Only...one slight problem... The tower didn't come with an installation disk.

I know what you're thinking.

"OH, You probably lost it or something"

Nonono, like, it legit didn't come with a disk.

So, before I attempt to boot from a USB, I must know,

would I be able to use the installation disk for Windows 7 that came with my Alienware laptop?

• Brohoof 1

The disc that came with your AW is likely an AW/Dell OEM and won't work with the ASUS. If your ASUS came with Windows 7, you can freely and legally download the ISOs here:

http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

You can burn that to a disc and use it to install Windows with the key located on your desktop tower.

If it came with Windows 8, then hopefully you have a restore partition located on the system somewhere. If not, you'll have to order restore discs from ASUS. Hopefully you can get them free, Dell gives out a free set on request.

• Brohoof 1

@@Lunatic Envy, I'm creating a windows 8.1 .iso file on a flash drive. I can use that, correct?

If you need to know, I am formatting from the Windows 8.1 settings

If your ASUS shipped with Windows 8.1, it should pull the key from the UEFI firmware and no activation would be needed. What you're doing is fine.

• Brohoof 2