technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

It seems like some people are having bad performance on GTA V with AMD cards, even after updating their drivers. There was one person who reported 25-30FPS at low on a 280x. Hopefully this is just a temporary problem and the game doesn't really run this bad on AMD GPUs.

Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

So AMD is apparently coming out with a 16 core CPU.

I can imagine it would require super cooling and a 1200w PSU. And the i7 4690k would probably still outperform it.

AMD fanboys: "B-but more cores!"

• Brohoof 1

My i5-4690K and GTX 760 are handling the game beautifully at 1080p, don't know how well lower-end hardware will handle it but it seems pretty easy to get 60 our more frames per second out of it.

So AMD is apparently coming out with a 16 core CPU.

I can imagine it would require super cooling and a 1200w PSU. And the i7 4690k would probably still outperform it.

AMD fanboys: "B-but more cores!"

Well I'm sure their new architecture is much more cool and efficient with less power consumption than before, with better single-core performance. They've had years, after all.

Hopefully the 16 cores is just for the expensive workstation variants where that number of cores actually has benefits.

^ don't listen to this guy ^

Well I'm sure their new architecture is much more cool and efficient with less power consumption than before, with better single-core performance. They've had years, after all.

Hopefully the 16 cores is just for the expensive workstation variants where that number of cores actually has benefits.

If it's similar to the Athlon and Phenom, then I could see it being really popular, and then intel would probably be like "Oh, shit, guys make a 16 core i7!"

Appreciating how my old 3570K is only about a frame off from a friend's new 5820K build. Of course, he's got a Titan, but eh.

I'm more amused that the FX volcano is competitive with an i3.

• Brohoof 1

If I didn't just buy an R9 290, an RM 850 power supply, and now a Noctua CPU fan, I'd almost be tempted to gift it to someone :lol:

Is anybody here a 501.c.3 organization? I might be able to sweeten the deal if I can get a tax write-off! ;)

I refuse to let go until you're impressed.
I refuse to let go until I'm depressed.

Being broke is the worst. I'm still usually broke. Just less often than I was in college .-.

I know. What am I doing buying an R9 290?  :twi:

It's an evil thing called debt :o

...which I plan to repay by December. 

img-3670597-1-gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

Well. $150 8-core CPU being beat by a $100 dual-core hyperthreaded one. Things aren't looking great for FX.

If you actually look at the FPS, we're talking beating it by like a whole of 2-5FPS and really not seeing a massive gap that would matter in actual practice until you reach the K-stuff(which is substantially more expensive)

Makes sense when you consider the FX is made to compete with the higher-end i3s and lower-end i5s. 

I have to say it's amusing that that the unholy mess that is the 9xxx scores so low, though.

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Anyone else got GTA V? Me and  are looking for some more players for GTA Online.

I am currently saving up for GTA V, hopefully in exactly a month I will have enough money to buy it.

Although I haven't played any GTA game extensively so I won't be able to join you guys until I get the hang of the game fist, I'll notify you when I want to join you guys

-snip-

Well. $150 8-core CPU being beat by a $100 dual-core hyperthreaded one. Things aren't looking great for FX.

And now I have all the more motivation to get a 4790K in the future. I may even do it before I get a new phone :lol:

As a verified owner of an FX CPU, I can attest that they're not the greatest thing out there. .-. In fact, they're pretty bad. In terms of CPUs, AMD just isn't the budget choice anymore. Even AMD fanboys have to admit it. I think they've done about as much with FX as they can. 

As much as I would love GTA5, I can't bring myself to spend $60 for a game.

MAYBE if it happens to hit a huge sale and drop to $30 I might put serious consideration into it.

Edited by Shoboni

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

As glorious as PC gaming is, I just can't help but think about it like this:

tZgThOk.jpg

• Brohoof 2

"Psst...Psst (Do your best, even if you don't stand out.)"

"The golden rule is: Think about what you're saying, then don't say it, and then just run away somewhere!"

img-30925-1-img-30925-1-post-8308-0-40154900-1434305791.png

Signature by @Kyoshi

As glorious as PC gaming is, I just can't help but think about it like this:

img-3682376-1-tZgThOk.jpg

I legitimately complained to my friends about getting 48FPS in GTA earlier.