technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

The first thing you should upgrade is your GPU. Depending on your budget, get one that will satisfy your gaming needs. Also, if it will last a while, that's a big plus. Looking at your CPU, that should handle most cards fairly well, unless you're going for something like a 980, then I'd probably get an FX 8350 or something.

If you have the money, a good card for that CPU would be something like an R9 290 or 290X. One more thing, what is your Power supply?

Thanks for the help. My power supply is the Corsair PSU VS Series 550W 80+

Thanks for the help. My power supply is the Corsair PSU VS Series 550W 80+

No problem. I'd upgrade that, at least to a 750W, if you go up to an 8 core CPU and a powerful card like the 970, you'll be good and room for more upgrading, too.
  • Brohoof 1

No problem. I'd upgrade that, at least to a 750W, if you go up to an 8 core CPU and a powerful card like the 970, you'll be good and room for more upgrading, too.

Agreed.  Having some overhead with your PSU is highly recommended.  Though perhaps not to the extent that I went to; my whole system uses ~ 500W and I have a 1000W PSU...

• Brohoof 1

sig-33560.sig-33560.SFwMsPK.png

The Magic of Honesty

Hey all! Im kinda fairly new to the whole PC building thing. Was wondering if you guys can give your opinion on my rig here and see if there's an area that can probably use some improvement. I use this rig mostly for gaming and the occasional photoshop. Haven't had much issue except for running out of storage every so often =p (I'm only rocking 1 TB). 

EcStJF8.png

Yep storage is the next thing on my to do list! Just checking in considering I'm pretty new to this stuff. Don't want to go unknowing one of my parts shouldn't go with some other part. But ya, I'll definitely pick up another HDD. 

Ya that case was bought on a small budget at the time. The only hardware that hasn't been changed are the RAM, HDD and Case so far. Case might be something I'll change soon probably. Kinda looking at hose neat cases with side panel windows and stuff. Looks pretty flashy especially with LEDs and stuff (^O^).

Would anybody recommend running an R9 290 at full load when the ambient air temperature is 32°C? :lol:

I refuse to let go until you're impressed.
I refuse to let go until I'm depressed.

If it's not overheating, what's the problem?

I was just messing around lol I haven't been gaming but my case doesn't exactly have the greatest ventilation. It runs about 85°C and that's when the ambient air is something like 20°C lol 

I've been gone all weekend and the a/c has been left off so it was 32°C when I came in earlier :P I don't really feel comfortable gaming when the air is that warm. Probably won't overheat since the reference card is supposed to run at 95°C. Which is stupid hot. 

Why AMD? Why? 

I was just messing around lol I haven't been gaming but my case doesn't exactly have the greatest ventilation. It runs about 85°C and that's when the ambient air is something like 20°C lol 

I've been gone all weekend and the a/c has been left off so it was 32°C when I came in earlier :P I don't really feel comfortable gaming when the air is that warm. Probably won't overheat since the reference card is supposed to run at 95°C. Which is stupid hot. 

Why AMD? Why? 

The reference GTX 480 ran at 105°C.

Eat your heart out, AMD.

• Brohoof 2

Holy shit. 

Yeah, I like my graphics cards to last. I don't want to be able to put a pot full of water on it and end up being able to make ramen noodles :lol:

Why AMD? Why? 

So long as it isn't shutting down and you don't mind your room being a sauna -- it's all good. :)

(edited)

You really should feel the heat that comes from the fan on the side of my case lol This thing put out a fair bit of heat with the old FX-6300 and Radeon 7770 and while the 4690K runs cooler (I decided to go with the i5 rather than the i7 and I haven't overclocked yet because I don't know that I would see much gain from it...this GPU is pretty badass) that R9 290 puts out an incredible amount of heat. I'm almost scared to ever Crossfire it because of the amount of heat the upper card would be drawing from the lower card. I would need a bigger mobo and a much more airflow friendly case to ever do that. 

I like having my standard size case though. I've always adored the idea of having big things come in small packages. And this thing is probably 4K ready. Probably not ideal for 4K. I'm going to say it could probably run games at 4K medium settings and still pull 45-55 FPS. But personally I think 1080p looks great and I like being able to use all my high/ultra settings and pull 60 FPS no sweat. :squee:

Edited by Space Woonsocket

Probably won't overheat since the reference card is supposed to run at 95°C. Which is stupid hot. 

Why AMD? Why? 

That reference cooler tho.  I'd never buy a reference r9 290 or 290x and this is why:

Don't know why anyone would ever want to enable "uber mode" if it gets this loud.  In fact, it's actually pretty loud with or without "uber mode" enabled.

sig-33560.sig-33560.SFwMsPK.png

The Magic of Honesty

(edited)

That reference cooler tho.  I'd never buy a reference r9 290 or 290x and this is why:

-snippety-

Don't know why anyone would ever want to enable "uber mode" if it gets this loud.  In fact, it's actually pretty loud with or without "uber mode" enabled.

I ended up getting MSI's Twin Frozr card and it's very quiet. Runs at about 15% at idle. Even under load and the fans kick up to about 30-50%, it's never very loud at all. I knew the reference card was loud but mother of god, that's stupid. Only thing that could drown that out is a vacuum cleaner or a lawn mower  :lol:

Edited by Space Woonsocket

Ok. Just spoke to my Dad, and he's willing to split the cost with me.

I'd assume a budget of $500 to 600.

I'm looking for a desktop that can handle gaming (Steam). It would be a bonus if it could handle video editing, as I got Sony Vegas, but couldn't really use it on my current laptop.

The specs are a few pages back, and I'll repost them here when I'm at my computer.

Any advice is appreciated.