Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equal Sign Cutie Marks = What?

PonyFunk

Perhaps they are all the same, since they all looked equally happy, and pretty much equally the same, I have'nt figured it out yet, but we shall see. Maybe they are some sort of clones of some sort, or they turn out to be evil, in any case we will find out soon.

Wow, how has no one pointed this out yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yESDQWm8M7o

15 seconds in, take a look.

I honestly thought it was pretty obvious the moment they showed up. A cutie mark shows what makes a pony different from their peers, unique and special. These are essentially anti-cutie marks, showing that these ponies are all the same, or rather, they're all marked as if they're the same.

I think that it means everypony in that town is equal to the others.  Perhaps their true cutie marks have been taken somehow.  I'm sure it'll all be explained in due time :D

Yes i swear the new trailer kinda hinted towards zombie ponies.

I think the Equal Signs are used like the Hammer and Sickle or the Swastika as a symbol, eventually the symbolism of it will be banned in Equestria apart from maths equations. Thank you for rejecting Equalism.

what do you mean, creepy pastas and 'the mark'?

Have you read Story of the Blanks? That's what it is.

There might be allusions to communism here, but it seems to me to be more about the concept of egalitarianism, equality of outcome that is. Individuality has been stripped away and replaced by a society of clones. It's very reminiscent of the Brave New World in the sense that the ponies have been conditioned to fulfill their state-determined purpose.

I touched on this more in my second analysis video of the trailer, which I've already posted in the trailer thread and in my profile so check that out if you got 3 minutes to spare :)

It represents how they are equal and one in the same.

But seriously this episode looks to be creepy because I have a slight fear of being seen boring and the same am I the only one?

• Brohoof 1

Another theory is that they could be pony rights activists with their motto being "All ponies are created equal".

UPDATE: I rewatched the trailer and saw the part where there's a town where all the ponies had an equal sign cutie mark. It looks as though the ponies seem to be cursed or have an ideology I've described above. But something gets me when Twilight says "Something's not right". We'll see what it truly is.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie

Everyone in this town is the same and equal with no defining traits or anything that makes them unique. Pretty self-explanatory.

That'd be fine...if everyone in that scene didn't have the same cutie mark.

They have 3 races of ponies in this trailer though.

I hope the episode isn't about communism. It's always so unsettling to me when complex political concepts are oversimplified in a story for the sake of easy vilification. When I saw the trailer I was immediately reminded of Fahrenheit 451 and its implied slippery slope fallacy.

I hope the episode shows how the ponies in the Equal town had problems with fairness in the past, so they did everything they could to make sure everyone has equal rights. But they took it a bit too far, overcompensated for whatever unfair things occurred in the past, maybe brought some magic into it, and are now trapped in a zombified state of perpetual conformity. The Mane Six will help to break the spell over the townsponies and the lesson of the episode will be that social equality doesn't have to come at the expense of individuality. The two concepts can exist together and even compliment each other.

Has anyone ruled out the possibility of Mind Control yet?

I think the possibility still stays in the room and i think that these ponies are infact mind controlled. The way they look and smile is just not natural and i don't think it's simply because they fear being punished, if they don't stay happy, i actually think that their brains are just reprogrammed.

Of course, i have nothing to back this up, it's just a theory.

Edited by Hypnosparkle

When I first saw that, my first thought was that there was a villain changing everyone's special talent so that they were equal (perhaps equally talentless) and the Mane 6 would go find him/her and go defeat him/her.

Huh...That was my first thought too...weird.

Anyways, maybe in the S5 premire, they go to some sort of utopian community.

• Brohoof 1

I think the possibility still stays in the room and i think that these ponies are infact mind controlled. The way they look and smile is just not natural and i don't think it's simply because they fear being punished, if they don't stay happy, i actually think that their brains are just reprogrammed.

Of course, i have nothing to back this up, it's just a theory.

Look at this image.  "くらえ!" 

my%2Blittle%2Bpony%2Bseason%2B5%2B7.PNGThat Aria Blaze-like mare standing in the middle is not smiling the same way as the other ponies.

If the possibility of Mind Control still stands, we cannot deliver a full verdict!

Further research must be conducted on this matter.

my%2Blittle%2Bpony%2Bseason%2B5%2B7.PNGThat Aria Blaze-like mare standing in the middle is not smiling the same way as the other ponies.

If the possibility of Mind Control still stands, we cannot deliver a full verdict!

That mare standing in the middle looks like the leader of a cult to me.

Something that would also speak for mind control, is the fact that they probably can't say that they're being tortured in this show. If this was a PG show then it would actually be an option, but as it stands it is not.

Also, the writers seem to love to put mind control elements in this show. Not that i am complaining. :P