Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question about Fluttershy's friends...

Lemon Slices

Hello guys, thanks for answering my posts.

I was remembering of the Fluttershy-dedicated episodes, and I thought something weird:

"Her friends only help her[with her shyness] when she haves to help them"

This phrase looks complicated, but it's true.

Fluttershy's friend do not take the initiative of helping her to be less shy. In the episodes when Fluttershy has to be the hero, she can't do it so her friends convince her and stuff. But the cartoon doesn't show a episode when her friends stop what they are doing and teach how to talk louder, to don't look so sad, and stuff, with no purpose. In fact, in my opinion just the conflicts around are solving Fluttershy's problems.

• Brohoof 1

I can relate to Fluttershy and I can say that only way friends can help you with shyness or fears is to encourage they can't win your fears for you or say one word and you aren't shy anymore. They are support. they are the trampoline where you bounce back even if you fail. You must beat those fears and your shyness on your own. Your friends can't beat them for you.

Friends are important to me and their support is really boosting me. Earlier when I had no friends I was depressed and I gave up on all things because I didn't have the trampoline where I could gain that boost. That is how I feel and I think I can relate Fluttershy quite well.

What about "Putting Your Hoof Down"? Fluttershy was getting bulldozed in that market because of her shyness and Rarebear and Pinkie took the initiative to try and help her and they had absolutely nothing to gain. They didn't need her help with anything and they tried helping her with her shyness ayway :confused:

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what those two did in this episode:

Fluttershy's friend do not take the initiative of helping her to be less shy. In the episodes when Fluttershy has to be the hero, she can't do it so her friends convince her and stuff. But the cartoon doesn't show a episode when her friends stop what they are doing and teach how to talk louder, to don't look so sad, and stuff, with no purpose. In fact, in my opinion just the conflicts around are solving Fluttershy's problems.

• Brohoof 5

What about "Putting Your Hoof Down"? Fluttershy was getting bulldozed in that market because of her shyness and Rarebear and Pinkie took the initiative to try and help her and they had absolutely nothing to gain. They didn't need her help with anything and they tried helping her with her shyness ayway :confused:

I don't know if I understood his message correctly but I think that he is talking about her animal friends.

• Brohoof 1

I just saw "friends" :derp: No mention of animals or ponies or anything :please: It could be either, to be honest.

Yea I was thinking when I read his message about hurricane fluttershy where her animal friends help her to gather courage. But now when i think about it it can be either.

• Brohoof 1

I'd throw out Rainbow Dash in Hurricane Fluttershy as a good example. While you could argue that it doesn't fit because Fluttershy was supposed to be helping with Dash's big tornado project, the episode made it pretty clear that Rainbow was helping Fluttershy out of a genuine desire to have her improve and not because she wanted anything out of it herself.

In fact, I'd say this is something that factors in a lot of of the time when Dash drags Flutters into some ridiculous activity that's out of her comfort zone. She knows Fluttershy is a lot tougher than she thinks she is and wants to push her into realizing that.

It's mostly because, in the end, the only one who can help Fluttershy is herself.

We've seen this in pretty much all of her episodes; forcing Fluttershy to do something usually doesn't work, and it never helps. The times when Fluttershy has actually grown has been all of the times when she stood up for herself and learned that she doesn't have to stay the same timid, fearful wreck that she used to be. Her friends may be her support if she falls too hard, and they may be the catalyst for the events, but they can't save her, or she'll never learn. If she truly wants to change, Fluttershy has to save herself; that's what her stories' about.

• Brohoof 1

Oh my god, I've forgotten that episode! Thanks dude.

The citation of the episode "Putting your Hoof Down" just broken the main pillar of my argument "Her friends don't take the initiative", but there's another pillar:

"Only the conflicts help Fluttershy to weaken her shyness"

Her friends didn't helped it at all. The thing that helped was the conflict about imposing herself being angry everytime [and get respect, but lose her friends] or to continue being a "pushover". She ripped apart and she "created" her own imposing method. This is a conflict, and her own way to solve it weakened her defect. This pillar is actually right.

Your argument is pretty well, I agree with you, but pay attention of the fourth paragraph of this answer.

Hello guys, thanks for answering my posts.

I was remembering of the Fluttershy-dedicated episodes, and I thought something weird:

"Her friends only help her[with her shyness] when she haves to help them"

This phrase looks complicated, but it's true.

I wanted to reply to this, but I'm a bit confused what overall you're pointing out…. not sure… 

Could you please explain a bit more so that I may put in my two bits?

I saw very much people here saying "Only herself can fight her shyness" and stuff. Seriously? I don't think so. Fluttershy cannot fight against her shyness 'cause it is her truly essence, and I think it is the final conclusion about the red phrase . She can't help herself, the conflicts that rip her apart help her. The "Putting Your Hoof Down" episode shows that. To be honest, Pinkie Pie and Rarity really tried, but they did not helped her. She continued as a pushover until Iron Will teach her how to impose herself. But it turned her into an insupportable person, and here is the conflict. Will her continue being a pushover or being insupportable? She found out the answer. But she didn't it alone, she needed the conflict.

"Only the conflicts help her".

I saw very much people here saying "Only herself can fight her shyness" and stuff. Seriously? I don't think so. Fluttershy cannot fight against her shyness 'cause it is her truly essence, and I think it is the final conclusion about the red phrase . She can't help herself, the conflicts that rip her apart help her. The "Putting Your Hoof Down" episode shows that. To be honest, Pinkie Pie and Rarity really tried, but they did not helped her. She continued as a pushover until Iron Will teach her how to impose herself. But it turned her into an insupportable person, and here is the conflict. Will her continue being a pushover or being insupportable? She found out the answer. But she didn't it alone, she needed the conflict.

"Only the conflicts help her".

She still has to solve the problem herself. Iron Will provided the conflict, true, but it was Fluttershy alone in the cottage that realized she could be assertive without being aggressive.

(edited)

I wanted to reply to this, but I'm a bit confused what overall you're pointing out…. not sure… 

Could you please explain a bit more so that I may put in my two bits?

The top of the topic is already discussed. In fact, it is really confusing.

"Cof cof"

I was trying to say that Fluttershy's friends only help her when there are their purposes in game, like saving something or selfpromotion of a friend. They do not help her(teaching how to be less shy) with no purpose.

Please read the answers. It will help a lot. If you read and are still confused, let's contact in another area. To avoid flooding the topic.

She still has to solve the problem herself. Iron Will provided the conflict, true, but it was Fluttershy alone in the cottage that realized she could be assertive without being aggressive.

This topic will be forever conclusion-less.

And I will write why.

There exist two factors that weaken shyness: "Herself" and "Conflicts". Who affects her personality? "Herself". But Fluttershy cannot make it in any moment, from nothing. She needs an "initial push". And the push is "Conflicts". But just the conflicts do not affect the personality, which is Herself's task. So one is the reaction, and the other is action. They both complete each other.

It is like "Who did destroy the Three Little Pigs' wooden house?" The wolf or the windblow?

Thanks to Shimmer5000. You really helped me.

Edited by DragonBornBR34