Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to do a petition or how should this be approached?

jaime_lion

So I am wondering what are your guys thoughts on a petition or someway we might be able to get a character with autism on the show? I know this will probably be a long shot but i am in an asking mood at the moment.

I have messaged Jayson Thiessen and Meghan McCarthy on if they think any of the characters have autism. So far they have yet to reply.

So thoughts on if this is doable and ways we could do this.

Thanks

As alway please only post on topic things a joke is ok as long as in the same post you post something on topic.

"Next time, on a very special My little Pony......"

F.That.

First of all, this is supposed to be a lighthearted, fun show. Even semi serious topics are played off. Secondly, and most importantly, the shitstorm it would create would engulf the fandom, and turn DHX and Hasbro away from us for good. Look at what happened with Derpy, then magnify it a thousand times. There would be innumerable complaints about how the portrayal was over the top, or not taken serious enough, or somehow inaccurate, or too cringeworthy to watch. No thank you, at all, ever, for any reason.

• Brohoof 3

I am not shore that would be a good idea. I mean people where mad about Derpy. Think of the backlash that would happen because of something like this! But doesn't twilight has Asperger's that is a form of autism of I think you will just have to live with that. if you really want to do it though you have really done all you can you could also start a petition on change.org and get people to sigh it and send it in, but the chances of that working are next to non.    

Ain't ya ever seen Maud Pie? Not officially autistic, but what else would you want from an autism episode? Pretty much covered the kind of difficulties "normal" people can have interacting with autistic types, and that it's really not a problem once you get to know them. Pinkie sets a good example that you don't have to change your own behavior to match someone else, and they don't have to change to match you. But of course, having common interests is a big help, since as with Maud, Asperger's often involves a high level of focus on a particular subject (rocks, in this case).

• Brohoof 3

After what happened with Derpy the odds of that happening are unfortunately very slim but I think are a bit higher than Derpy getting another speaking role. Even if such an episode dosen't come to pass, Maud Pie has a few traits often associated with Autism, it dosen't mean she necessarily has it as it is a rather broad spectrum but it would not surprise me at all if she was and so long as it was done well I would not mind if they decided to make her that though if they don't I won't be too dissapointed. In order to have a good episode with an Autistic pony it needs to be handled very very carefully, as someone on the Autism spectrum myself I know there are a lot of misconceptions about it and it would need to be heavily emphasized that it is a broad spectrum meaning that every case is different even with the common signs and symptoms.

With that said if such an episode were done it might be a good idea to introduce maybe 2 or 3 of them, it could be done but there is so much that needs to be ironed out and the creative team would have to get the opinions and perspectives of a lot of individuals, families and experts to make sure things are accurate. It is entirely possible for a well intended episode to do harm because of certain misconceptions which is again why I advise caution but something like this can ideed be done.

Look at what happened with Derpy, then magnify it a thousand times. There would be innumerable complaints about how the portrayal was over the top, or not taken serious enough, or somehow inaccurate, or too cringeworthy to watch. No thank you, at all, ever, for any reason.

That's what I think. The fanbase is going to erupt. 

• Brohoof 1

It would seem really weird for a character on My Little Pony to actually say the word "autism" out loud. It would feel like a really awkward attempt to shoehorn in real world problems, and would probably work better instead  if they commented on it indirectly through some sort of metaphor.

• Brohoof 1

Maud shows signs of autism, Twilight shows to have Asperger's, both of the Mane Six with horns seem to have OCD. It would be nice for them to have an episode about mental disabilities because people don't know how to deal with them. People with mental disabilities are often viewed as people with bad parents, just plain stupid,  unruly people, people who needs discipline, etc. I get those. 

It would seem really weird for a character on My Little Pony to actually say the word "autism" out loud. It would feel like a really awkward attempt to shoehorn in real world problems, and would probably work better instead  if they commented on it indirectly through some sort of metaphor.

I hate this argument because it assumes that MLP hasn't addressed "real world problems" before which is simply not true. Bridle Gossip addressed racism, a few episodes have addressed bullying and Scootaloo's inability to fly though it hasn't directly stated whether or not it is the result of a disability was partially addressed in one episode. Sure these issues weren't presented in ways that would stir up controversy but they are still "real world problems" that people actually deal with last time I checked. With that said though I would be fine with that kind of approach if anything it would probably be a lot easier to pull off than going the full monty of this matter and it is less likely to have well intended but harmful inaccuracies. Of course it is like I said before I am open to the idea but they of course have to take great care in pulling it off.