Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What kind of car do you drive?

Vox

2000 Honda Prelude. I have a love-hate relationship with my car  :okiedokielokie:

Pic if you wanna see it.

2n0lpue.jpg

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 1

2000 Honda Prelude. I have a love-hate relationship with my car  :okiedokielokie:

I drive a 2001 Accord. I would love to have a Prelude. I wanted that to be my first car, but the Accord was the closest I could have.

Well, I've got 2: my driver is a 2007 Toyota Corolla, and I have a project 1971 AMC Javelin. I also drag race a family member's 2014 Shelby GT500 for fun sometimes.

• Brohoof 3

I drive a 2001 Accord. I would love to have a Prelude. I wanted that to be my first car, but the Accord was the closest I could have.

Seriously these are cool cars but what kind of gas mileage do you get in your Accord? I'm pulling 25 to the gallon on a good day. And there are lots of huge oil spots around my car from where I leaked about 5 quarts in the span of a couple weeks. Because it loves to surprise me with oil leaks...

It also makes a lot of other noises that a car shouldn't make lol 

Well, I've got 2: my driver is a 2007 Toyota Corolla, and I have a project 1971 AMC Javelin. I also drag race a family member's 2014 Shelby GT500 for fun sometimes.

Can't say i have much experience maintaining cars, but i've always wanted some sort of project.

Can't say i have much experience maintaining cars, but i've always wanted some sort of project.

I dig classic cars from the 60's and 70's. It's kinda my thing...

Seriously these are cool cars but what kind of gas mileage do you get in your Accord? I'm pulling 25 to the gallon on a good day. And there are lots of huge oil spots around my car from where I leaked about 5 quarts in the span of a couple weeks. Because it loves to surprise me with oil leaks...

It also makes a lot of other noises that a car shouldn't make lol 

Yeah, I don't have that problem. My gas mileage is about 25, though. The best I can get is around 30, and that's only on the highway, cruising while slipstreaming a semi truck.

One thing I hate about my car is that it's an automatic. I just know the transmission is a ticking time bomb; Honda transmissions are awful. The acceleration bogs down in second gear. If I had a manual, like most, if not all the preludes, I wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

One thing I hate about my car is that it's an automatic. I just know the transmission is a ticking time bomb; Honda transmissions are awful

I hear that a lot but I've got my original transmission sitting right under 190,000 miles. I can relate to you, though. Mine is automatic too. My first car (a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser) was stick shift. I miss driving that old truck. 

I hear that a lot but I've got my original transmission sitting right under 190,000 miles. I can relate to you, though. Mine is automatic too. My first car (a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser) was stick shift. I miss driving that old truck. 

The problem with Honda transmissions on the Accords is in second gear. The driveshaft slips a little, and over time, this wears down the components and eventually causes failure. If you drive hard, it'll happen much faster, obviously.

I can feel it slipping when I try to accelerate in second gear. It's like it only uses half the engine's power--there's a lot of noise, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Does yours do that?

gotten your hands on an AMX?

I think the 71 Jav is ugly

The problem with Honda transmissions on the Accords is in second gear. The driveshaft slips a little, and over time, this wears down the components and eventually causes failure. If you drive hard, it'll happen much faster, obviously.

I can feel it slipping when I try to accelerate in second gear. It's like it only uses half the engine's power--there's a lot of noise, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Does yours do that?

No I don't have that problem. What happens with me is when I start or kill the motor, when I take off too hard and immediately back off the gas, or when I shift to second (I don't know about 3rd and 4th though because by then there's too much other ambient noise), it will make an "umph" sound similar to what you would make if you got punched in the chest or stomach.

I really shouldn't complain too much. 190k miles is a lot for any part, really. The fact that my parts are all original is impressive, even by Honda standards. Especially the trans lol

Edited by Space Woona

No I don't have that problem. What happens with me is when I start or kill the motor, when I take off too hard and immediately back off the gas, or when I shift to second (I don't know about 3rd and 4th though because by then there's too much other ambient noise), it will make an "umph" sound similar to what you would make if you got punched in the chest or stomach.

Yep! That's it. That "umph" noise is the transmission beating itself up. The synchronization is messed up on second gear, so if you're at a high RPM range and shift into or out of second, it causes the gears to grind. I get that noise, and then I feel the car bogging down. I lose all my acceleration in second gear, but then regain it when I go into third. Getting the car to accelerate quickly requires tricky management of the throttle so that the tranny spends as little time in second gear as possible.

Starting and killing the motor may be something different entirely, though. I don't know about that one.

I drive a blue Prius (2008 I believe).

:lol: Jeff Dunham drove something just like that. He's the only guy better at self-deprecation than I am. Look for the videos where his characters mention the blue Prius.