Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Concept Cars

Trot Shuffle

Is anyone else fascinated at times from concept cars? Some of them are cool and others are weird :please:

Like for weird, the 1950s Citroen C-10

Spoiler

1920px-Paris_-_Retromobile_2014_-_Citro%C3%ABn_prototype_C10_-_1956_-_004.jpg

or the Sir Vival, lol

Spoiler

Sir_Vival_7.jpg

But of course some are pretty cool like the 80s Vector W2

Spoiler

Vector_W2_Twin_Turbo_1988-89_08.jpg

and the relatively recent Peugeot Onyx

Spoiler

2560px-Peugeot_Onyx_(8093626076).jpg

anyone else?

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-07-17 at 4:41 AM, Sophie H. said:

Oh wow! I really love the Vector W2! it reminds me of nightrider :fluttershy:

Yeah it's awesome! I believe it eventually led to the Vector W8 which did see production for a few years.

I love concept cars. They’re always so much more interesting and innovative than the same old generic junk the car companies ram at us. I always say that a cool design costs no more to produce than a lame design, so why are car companies so afraid to take the leap and lead the way while all the other companies scramble to imitate them? Remember when the PT Cruiser was all the rage? That’s because it was different and people wanted something new (or retro as the case may be), and the manufacturers couldn’t produce enough to meet demand. The other companies were quick to imitate as usual. I wish someone would try or even imitate the designs shown in this thread!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2023-07-20 at 5:00 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

I love concept cars. They’re always so much more interesting and innovative than the same old generic junk the car companies ram at us. I always say that a cool design costs no more to produce than a lame design, so why are car companies so afraid to take the leap and lead the way while all the other companies scramble to imitate them? Remember when the PT Cruiser was all the rage? That’s because it was different and people wanted something new (or retro as the case may be), and the manufacturers couldn’t produce enough to meet demand. The other companies were quick to imitate as usual. I wish someone would try or even imitate the designs shown in this thread!

Good example of a concept car being turned into a production one is the Honda S2000, which was originally a concept car, "Honda SSM".

Spoiler

Basically, from:

image.png.2fac078472cb3a9a3c5b4841a0df3032.png

To:

image.thumb.png.d4e92a86f63aab80951c20a96fad9a25.png

Something I've noticed from car companies is they usually tend to prioritize motorsports of all kinds over their road cars. They'll put all innovation towards their racing cars, and if it's required for the motorsport for entry then they quickly create road versions of their track cars just to be eligible for participation.

Also interesting point on the PT Cruiser. It's highly regarded as one of the ugliest cars ever made into production now (up there with the Pontiac Aztec) but I can understand the "hotrod" style it was going for.

Though concept cars seem to just be made to get eyes onto the company to make headlines (staying relevant... doesnt ever change through the times lol)... like the Citroen Karin:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f7ffeda7df2680849601776a6a01ca65.png

... or to get a backing investor to have more r&d and hopefully get it into production (kinda like the aforementioned Vector W2, which saw production as the Vector W8 for a bit).

Citroen may have the most unusual concepts of all time though. I don't know what their designers are on but I may want some of it too :P

Seriously, I dunno what they're doin over there!

Edited by Twot Shuffle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Some more interesting concept cars

1994 Porsche C88 (because 1. Porsche; 2. Meant for the Chinese market)

Spoiler

Porsche_2009_51_(RaBoe).jpg

2001 Peugeot e-doll

Spoiler

peugeot-e-doll-urban-mobility-02-1024.jp

2003 Jeep Treo

Spoiler

jeep-treo_dc_dv_05_04-800.jpg

2022 Toyota Camatte57s (parts can be taken off like Legos and probably one of my personal favorites, goes back to the 2013 Camatte57)

Spoiler

2022 Toyota Camatte57s

2022 Toyota Camatte57s

2022 Toyota Camatte57s

Toyota-Camatte57s-engine-800.jpg

Edited by Twot Shuffle
corrections

• 7 months later...