Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

game PSA: Steam has a new virus going around.

VulpineTaco

If you are using Steam, and you get a message saying "WTF, Dude?" followed by a link, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK. It is a virus that will hack your steam and send the message to others. If you are already infected, here's a few tips.

1. Change your password and secret question. That seems to stop the virus pretty well, as, from what I can tell, it only affects Steam.

2. End the atieclxx.exe process through your task manager.

3. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE RUN A VIRUS SCAN.

4. Make sure any affected people on your friends list know not to click the link.

6. Don't be a moron like me and open random links.

• Brohoof 6

No. He repeatedly tried friending me, and when I refused, called me a cocksucker.

Why are the kind of people that intentionally spread viruses always moronic asshats?

You would think they'd learn how to fake it in order to get people to trust them.

Why are the kind of people that intentionally spread viruses always moronic asshats?

You would think they'd learn how to fake it in order to get people to trust them.

I remember one time, I was trying to get a MineCraft server running. Some bitch chased me from the server, to my Steam, hacking both of them mind you, and nearly got into my computer. I shut him down back at Steam though, thanks to the powers of the Steam ticket support. Sent them a message asking for help, and they got all the stuff he took back to me, including all my Team Fortress 2 items, and gave me a free hat :lol: Not exactly the most valuable apology, but just the fact they did that made me want to pat them on the back :lol:

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't take much, especially if it's something they're not familiar with.

"Did you click any strange links?"

"What? There were some messages and I just clicked them off."

FANMADE_Twilight_read_poster.png

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

If you are using Steam, and you get a message saying "WTF, Dude?" followed by a link, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK. It is a virus that will hack your steam and send the message to others. If you are already infected, here's a few tips.

1. Change your password and secret question. That seems to stop the virus pretty well, as, from what I can tell, it only affects Steam.

2. End the atieclxx.exe process through your task manager.

3. DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE RUN A VIRUS SCAN.

4. Make sure any affected people on your friends list know not to click the link.

6. Don't be a moron like me and open random links.

atieclxx.exe is an ATI event manager...i think you should mention that. And hes not harmfull at all, well if his not infected. :umad:

Yea, I've received weird messages and friend requests from unassigned and private users before. I usually just ignore and block them, especially if their profile is extremely suspicious.

One guy actually commented on my post with a link, I deleted it the second I seen it. :P

• 1 month later...

Not just that opening. I keep on getting repeated FRs by strangers who say some clickbait followed by a link. >_> They use a variety of clickbaits and I think they come in packs as I've seen a large increase recently, probably due to my friend always being hacked by clicking these sorts of things. ANY LINK - DO NOT CLICK is all that I really have to say.