Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Super Terrible Virus Thread

Mr. Wobbels

I've never had any issues with viruses, adware, or malware before. And I am on my third computer (i keep upgrading to keep up with the latest games) and this is my 4th OS I have used. I've used Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 7. I only use Avast now, though I was using AVG at one point.

I HATE Norton with a passion. do you wanna know what the best anti virus programs are? here, i'll post a link:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/index.html

Norton places #11 on the list while McAfee is even worse at #14

Be smart, get a good antivirus and a good firewall. not just the stock windows firewall either. ZoneAlarm makes a great fire wall.

I havent been infected by a virus for a long time mainly because i was infected in the past and now know better xD

Well the only virus that got me is ponies, i have been affected, my desktop has been affected, my boot logo has been affected, my programs have been affected.... its everywhere!!

• Brohoof 1

Oh i used to make my own share of mistakes, but it didn't take me long to learn how stupid i had been, Still, even after learning my way around the web, problems continue up to this day because of my mothe,r and sometimes my sister. I guess it cannot be helped as they might not really understand how computers work in certain area. Your web browser for example, should never tell you that your computer is infected z_z Also it has no business telling you what you "need to install" to fix the problem, yet quite a few people fall for it, not realizing that the actual problem starts once you install the suggested software. Also there are those msn viruses where your friends (who are infected) keep sending you infected links or something. I am unsure how exactly they work (as in what happens when you click the link, but i would assume it asks you to install something or access something) as i never fell for one of those..

The good thing is that the computer i am using now is mine alone, so i have no other users to worry about.

I do download lots of stuff, so i guess it is possible for me to download something suspicious and the antivirus software can easily detect false positive threaths. Well it is not really a false detection as the software in question usually works at a "security breaching level", but that does not mean that it was made to harm your computer. You just got to know what you are dealing with.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hm.

Ever since I switched to Ubuntu, the only times I ever got a virus was

-When my school's computer lab insisted on scanning the USB. After school, I scanned my USB on my laptop, and found a virus. That's one reason why I don't let anyone else use my USB.

-When I brought my laptop to school to present an instrumental cover of Winter Wrap Up. My classmate brought her USB, saying she has her presentation on it. I scan it, and found out there was a virus(trojan, I think).

For Windows, I remember that some program that had a virus caused the system to crash, displaying the blue screen of death. We had to open it by connecting to it from another laptop.

Then, a few days later, it happened again. I don't recall what caused it to display the blue screen, but it stopped after the second time.

Actually, I'm not sure that it happened twice. Oh well.

Well, aside from that, no other viruses from the halls of Ubuntu. The only times I got a virus was from other computers, when they checked my USB, or I checked another.

The design of the system(Linux) itself makes it very difficult to become infected. A single user could cause local damage to his or her files by running a virus on his or her system; however, this would be an isolated instance rather than something could spread out of control.

In addition, virtually all Linux vendors offer free on-line security updates. The general philosophy of the Linux community has been to address possible security issues before they become a problem rather than hoping the susceptibility will go unnoticed.

Edited by Luca

(not a very tech-guy so I'm using my uneducated terms)

I got like 4 viruses at once and they killed my computer. Literally. We had to complete reset it and it took a week before we could get past a blue screen... I lost like 4 years of data

(not a very tech-guy so I'm using my uneducated terms)

I got like 4 viruses at once and they killed my computer. Literally. We had to complete reset it and it took a week before we could get past a blue screen... I lost like 4 years of data

Ouch.

It's always good to have a backup on an external hard drive.

Back in my net noob days, I fell for a fake antivirus scam. The one where you open up a webpage, and suddenly it displays something like "Your computer has been infected with a virus! Download X now to get rid of it!" -_- It looked legit, so I did, and yeah...

I had like 100+ virii running around on my computer after that, and I had to reinstall the operating system.

Lesson learned: I'm a scrub.

It was once discovered that I have literally hundreds of viruses on my old laptop. It was only noticed when I got that virus that pretends to be a (oh dear i forgot what it's called) "virus killing thing" We were surprised it was still running. After that I have always been sure to check regularly.

nope. afaik, we haven't had a single virus infection on any of the computers we've used here. or, well, maybe once, when we had to clean up the whole HD of the Win98 comp we had back then, but i dunno what that was all about.

now, one thing that HAVE happened is all kinds of physical hardware failures of the computers we've used:

computer screen to Win95 cracked, made the Win95 being dormant of usage due to the only computer screen we had was to the Win98 we had at the time.

WinME computer turned itself off after extended usage. possibly a combination of bad hardware + the software itself (ME sucks, i've heard)

WinXP computer's motherboard got fried after a power outage here, so we had to replace it. later on, the CPU started to fail and run at abnormal temperatures (80+ C) and shut itself off regularly as a result. the GPU also started to fail, generating garbage pixels on the screen. later on we got a new computer, which is the one i am using now, and salvaged the usable parts (which was the new motherboard we got after that power outage, the HDD, and the sound card), and had to scrap the WinXP.

lastly, but not least, the Win98 got rendered useless when the power button to the computer fell off and you couldn't start it anymore.

...i'm sorry, i seem to have strayed from the point of this thread with my useless drabble. xD

• 11 years later...

basically 10 years ago I had a really bad one where it was really loud and kept playing pig squealing noises :( :blush:

I try to be more careful now. Luckily Windows Defender is all I need, haven't had an issue ever since I've been a grown up.