Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

One of FIM Target Audiences are People Suffering from Depression?

FlutterDerpy582

(edited)

This is a serious topic for myself personally. If your here to troll, or make jokes, please go somewhere else.

On one of my MLP youtube searches, I came across a comment that made me smile.

"Ponies have prevented my suicide. Thank you."

This comment really made me think of what an impact this show has made on all of it's viewers, no matter the age. For myself, I have realized I truly have become a happier person, and a better friend due to the show. FIM is based on real morals, and its obvious the creators are very down to earth people, however I believe it goes so much further then that. Watching MLP makes us revert back to that happy, and once carefree child that lived in all of us. I believe this was one of their focuses, and made people suffering from depression realize that the world's not all bad.

IMO, I believe most older cartoons shared a lot of the morals that are in common with MLP. Cartoons as a whole in the past few years just haven't been what they used to be in the "Golden age of Cartoons"(with exceptions). This is mainly because the shows are simply not as entertaining, and the reasoning for this is because they are putting an unnecessarily large focus on which age group to target to, rather than the actually content of a show. MLP challenged that, and made a show that brings us back to the "Golden Age", with that same carefree state of mind.

I would love to hear everyone else's take on this topic.

Edited by YourAverageBronie582
  • Brohoof 20

It's uplifting to watch, that is why us bronies watch it. sub-consciously, it is uplifting to us. It makes us smile. Smiling prevents suicide and makes you HAPPY. I believe any pony and every pony who watches this show will get something from watching it.

• Brohoof 5

I have seen a few of those comments before, often to a lesser degree. MLP does seem to make people a lot more positive than they were before (generally). I myself am a good example of that. It makes people happy, and that alone can change someone's entire outlook on life, and luckily for the person who made that comment, it did.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

While I probably will come off as a jerk, I think that the prevention of this guy's suicide and really the fandom as a whole isn't exactly accidental, but coincidental. I mean, I can't remember where I read this, but I read somewhere that Hasbro themselves said that the original audience for this was pretty much little girl exclusive. Now, whether or not that was true, the idea that somebody would pitch a show about cute little ponies and also make it for male audiences and people suffering from depression is probably silly completely forgetting that it eventually did become where it is right now. Now, it's great to see that it brought some joy to this guy's life and that has brought us bronies and pegasisters together, but the main thing that made this cartoon that was made for young children was the way it was pulled off, in the sense that the characters had much more believable personalities and the overall story line was a lot more complex than something like, say, little baby Jonathan is playing with little baby Sarah's toy so Sarah cries and gets it back; the end.

That being said, it is great to see that Hasbro acknowledges that there are people like us and this guy out there and is making a whole bunch of merchandise and other media more catered to us.

Edited by lordbababa
  • Brohoof 1

Hm, I think you get that impression of the show because people, well, post it. I don't think it prevents suicide more than anything else you might enjoy. Just because it is something you might have not expected from it you feel like having to tell it to others.

Now to the "Golden Age of Cartoons". I find this part funny, in the end history does repeat itself. If there is anything I learned in School it is: a new Generation pretty much equals a new movement. Obviously new cartoons might not be to your liking, mainly because you outgrew them. ( Re-watch the powerpuff girls for exemple and you will see that it is not that different from what we go today.)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a bit special, at least for now. It's still pretty new so it hasn't really passed the test of age yet. ( I don't mean the toys line or the other My Little Pony products, just the Cartoon. )

Now why do we like it? Probably because everyone loves cute things, ( Just check out the Cat videos, or generally any Video of an animal that you think is cute and you will probably see that it is quite popular. ) now you combine that with the general feeling of 'I want to be different' and you suddenly follow it. I don't think both apply all the time nor at the same time, but just saying "I am proud to be a Brony.", pretty much confirms that.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I am always pleased when i read a post online about how someone posts that their life has improved due to ponies.

However, I think that saying that the creators of this show created it for that purpose is, perhaps, giving them too much credit. The show was created for a target audience of little girls and their parents (who might be watching it with them).

Hasbro, Lauren Faust, and others that were involved with the show were all taken completely by surprise when the show began attracting large numbers of viewers from outside of their target audience. They completely did not expect it.

I think that most of the credit for improving (or even saving) people's lives does not go to the show. I really do think that the real reason that so many people talk about how ponies has helped them is because of the members of the various online brony communities - including this one.

I have noticed that, perhaps due to the nature of the show, brony communities have a tendency to be more kind and more understanding than other online communities. As a matter of fact, brony communities can often be kinder and more understanding than even many offline communities.

I am constantly amazed by bronies reaching out to help other bronies in need. I am also constantly amazed at how controversial topics are often easily discussed among bronies without an explosion.

The show brings brony communities together and supplies a wonderful amount of positivity when you watch it. But, really, I think that it is the actual members of the various brony communities that should get most of the credit for helping people in need.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 3

While I probably will come off as a jerk, I think that the prevention of this guy's suicide and really the fandom as a whole isn't exactly accidental, but coincidental. I mean, I can't remember where I read this, but I read somewhere that Hasbro themselves said that the original audience for this was pretty much little girl exclusive. Now, whether or not that was true, the idea that somebody would pitch a show about cute little ponies and also make it for male audiences and people suffering from depression is probably silly completely forgetting that it eventually did become where it is right now. Now, it's great to see that it brought some joy to this guy's life and that has brought us bronies and pegasisters together, but the main thing that made this cartoon that was made for young children was the way it was pulled off, in the sense that the characters had much more believable personalities and the overall story line was a lot more complex than something like, say, little baby Jonathan is playing with little baby Sarah's toy so Sarah cries and gets it back; the end.

That being said, it is great to see that Hasbro acknowledges that there are people like us and this guy out there and is making a whole bunch of merchandise and other media more catered to us.

Didn't come off as a jerk at all. I agree that the whole topic was more coincidental, then intentional. However the writing for this show is nothing short of fantastic, I don't see how Hasbro couldn't have the idea in the back of their minds that older audiences might be interested if given the chance, considering the down right life and personality they put into the characters. On a side note, yes it really is awesome to see Hasbro getting so involved with community, most memorable would probably be when Derpy makes an actual appearance in the show, not to mention all the merchandise they created. Although I must say, the Brony community really did pull in many (including me) into actually getting into the show. For example, if only a few teens watch the show, they would be outcasts, if a whole community watches, its considered.. Well, a community. Sad fact of life. :/

• Brohoof 1

FiM has no target audience...it's mainly directed at little girls but was created by Lauren Faust for all to enjoy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, many people have been pulled out of a hole by the show and community, me included. It's no surprise, either; with all the morals and cheerfulness and cuteness of the show, you can't really expect it to make anyone with an open mind frown.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't call it the target audience, but I'd say the show is intentionally crafted so people outside that intended audience can gain something from it without having their intelligence insulted. I had pretty much given up on watching TV for a while because I find most of it horrible. So I was surprised at how different FiM is, not to mention its cheerfulness has a sort of universal appeal. I'd definitely rather watch ponies than see everyone die on CSI or Law and Order.

That said, I don't think this is what pulled me out of depression, but it probably kept me from falling back in. I've definitely been much happier lately.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard alot of people got out of depression because of this show. I don't know why myself, but I think its because the show has so much appeal to them, it just makes them happy.

(edited)

I'm no expert on depression, in fact all I have as far as psychology experience is some AP class in high school, but I'd say that the main thing that makes people less depressed as far as ponies are concerned is just really the community. I was going to say the fact that ponies offer a form of escapism and have a more positive outlook on on life and yadda yadda yadda, but so do things like video games, other TV shows, movies, books, and really most forms of entertainment. The community is a really big part of the brony fandom, infact I've seen bronies once or twice on other sites say they don't even like the show and they just like all of the memes, music, YTP's, and overall just the community as a whole. Even though there are sites out there like gamefaqs, sonicretro, rottentomatoes, hamuhamukingdom (not sure if that one still exists,) the brony community from what I've seen is actually one of the nicest ones out there and unlike a lot of the other fandoms, the fans themselves get a lot of attention, sometimes even more than the show itself at times! With all of this attention, these starting and growing friendships, and these meetups, I'd say that really any pony can really get a sense of self worth, importance, belonging, and if you wanna take it that far, joy from the community which simply counters the symptoms of depression which are feelings of being worthless, not wanting to do anything, hopelessness, and all of those unfun things.

Of course, everybody, brony or not is different and we all have things that make us feel good and things that make us feel bad.

I'm probably far from being correct. I kind of slept during class when we were going over depression, so yeaah...

Edited by lordbababa
  • Brohoof 1

Whenever I become sad or on the verge of breaking tears, I always watch MLP: FiM in order for me to hold back tears and turn my frown upside down. I think that, in my honest opinion, this show is the ultimate cure to fight depression.

I am always pleased when i read a post online about how someone posts that their life has improved due to ponies.

However, I think that saying that the creators of this show created it for that purpose is, perhaps, giving them too much credit. The show was created for a target audience of little girls and their parents (who might be watching it with them).

Hasbro, Lauren Faust, and others that were involved with the show were all taken completely by surprise when the show began attracting large numbers of viewers from outside of their target audience. They completely did not expect it.

I think that most of the credit for improving (or even saving) people's lives does not go to the show. I really do think that the real reason that so many people talk about how ponies has helped them is because of the members of the various online brony communities - including this one.

I have noticed that, perhaps due to the nature of the show, brony communities have a tendency to be more kind and more understanding than other online communities. As a matter of fact, brony communities can often be kinder and more understanding than even many offline communities.

I am constantly amazed by bronies reaching out to help other bronies in need. I am also constantly amazed at how controversial topics are often easily discussed among bronies without an explosion.

The show brings brony communities together and supplies a wonderful amount of positivity when you watch it. But, really, I think that it is the actual members of the various brony communities that should get most of the credit for helping people in need.

Completely agreed! I love coming to this forum, even to ask general questions because this forum really is based on love and tolerance (cheesy yes, but it works quite well ;D). I like to consider this community like a band of people willing to listen, and give their honest opinions on really whatever you need!

I understand what you're saying about how the show wasn't intended to get this big (or at all) with online communities, and giving the writers to much credit for essentially a coincidence. However more of what I was getting at is the idea of the show provokes thoughts of a child like dependency, therefore triggering off a sense of well being, and almost acting as something a person can hold onto whenever they get feelings of depression, etc. Which in theory does come back around to the Brony community, as rather the actual writers of the show.

I don't usually do this, but I think the topic calls for it. Let's get sappy and personal.

First off I find the show entertaining whether it makes me a better person or not.

Since I was young, I have never really been good at making true friends. I mainly had acquaintances that I spoke with at school/work. I never really had true friends to hang out and have fun with. Since I have been watching MLP I have realized I wouldn't be a very good. I have realized that I can be indifferent in matters that don't concern or affect me even though it may be important to someone else(Lesson Zero). I was so focused on suppressing my feelings that I would distance people when they tried to be friends with me by being indifferent to their feelings. I have since been trying to correct personality to be a better friend and person in general.(I'm an introvert so I haven't been able to put my new knowledge to the test yet). MLP has taught me many things about friendship I will definitely use throughout the rest of my life.

I have also always had issues with depression. As early as the age of 4 I would get depressed and eventually it became something that was normal to me. I never understood true happiness or joy for just being alive. I was always either in a state of minimum contentment or I was depressed. I have tried different anti-depressants over the years and they didn't seem to help or the elated feelings felt fake. Since I have been watching MLP I have been able to experience true happiness and joy for living. I don't expect everyone to understand what MLP has done for me. Some people may not even believe my experience. All that matters to me now is that I truly enjoy life now.

I owe my happiness and future friends to MLP. If anyone else I had similar experiences in life, you're not alone ^_^

• Brohoof 3

I don't think it is intentionally aimed at people with depression. It just happens to strike a chord with people who are depressed. A simple, honest show about being a good friend and kind to others is a great message for our modern, fast paced world. People who are sad and lonely are cheered by the happiness and friendship. It takes them back to the simple imaginative innocence of childhood. We can forget our troubles and travel to a happier world for a half hour. I personally have Depression (I think. It could be a mild case of Bipolar disorder). I love the fantasy element of the show, love the characters, love the happy atmosphere, love the adventure, love the comedy, and just plain love the show. I don't think it was made for us, I think that it is just the perfect show for us.

• Brohoof 2

I have no idea really. I have depression and it helps me a bit I suppose. Makes me not really care about certain things and even teaches me to be a better person (because I HATE the person I am...). I guess I really wouldn't doubt it. Even though I'm 18, its giving me the good childhood I haven't had.

I have got to admit when I'm in a really bad mood I will sit and watch MLP:FIM because it really does cheer me up seeing how the ponies act with each other and to quote the show learn about the power of friendship has been helpful for me because I know talk to my friends rather then going it alone. I'm now closer to my friends and I can have a good laugh, so yeah MLP can stop suicide because of the way it can cheer people up but it wasn't written for that purpose.

Sounds kind of silly, but I'm not going to complain about saving somepony's life. I'm glade the show made him realize that life was worth living. If it has a good impact on people, well that's a good thing.