Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who thinks Flutters hasn't developed as a character?

RainbowTashie

I think it's important to keep in mind that personality is not the same as weakness. Someone can be kind and shy while not needing a giant dragon attacking her friends to know when to stand firm. (It's actually a lesson that Putting Your Hoof Down pulled off rather well, for my money.) And no, you don't need to cling to one flaw to make a character interesting.

Contrary to popular belief, I think that Fluttershy has developed. Even though it may be a big "Are you serious?" moment, seeing Fluttershy in the Equestria Games shows that she's finally starting to come out of her shell. Even in Filli Vanilli, she's beginning to participate in more activities, despite her anxieties. It's all baby steps for Flutters, after all.

Over the course in the series, there are many differences between Season 1 and Season 4 Fluttershy. When you compare an episode like Green Isn't Your Color to Filli Vanilli, you realise that she does want to be in the spotlight, but probably only in things she likes. Even when you watch an episode like It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, you see her running a special event while trying to keep the ReMane-ing 5 in check. I find it confusing when people say that she hasn't developed, since Season 4 showed how much she has improved.

Realistically, you also can't get over major problems in just one triumph. Since Fluttershy had to put up with her major personality quirk, timidness, for all her life, it's believable for her to go through the same obstacle over and over.

• Brohoof 1

So she's had episodes of her being more assertive filli vannili and putting your hoof down but then a few episodes later she goes back into being shy doormat fluttershy. We all know that nopony messes with her friends but she seems to be very repetitive overall.

I thank she is right but in s5 we might see a change

I like the way that Flutters is written for the most part. Being shy isn't something that can be washed away overnight. The fact that she even admitted that she's "weak and helpless" felt like development. She knows the way that she is, and she's accepting of it. I will admit though that there should be a Flutters episode that's more focused on some other aspect of her personality rather than just her shyness. I think that the writers could pull something out of their collective minds that would develop her more than any of us could imagine and make her even more interesting than she already is.

Edited by MechanicalDoom
  • Brohoof 4

I like the way that Flutters is written for the most part. Being shy isn't something that can be washed away overnight. The fact that she even admitted that she's "weak and helpless" felt like development. She knows the way that she is, and she's accepting of it. I will admit though that there should be a Flutters episode that's more focused on some other aspect of her personality rather than just her shyness. I think that the writers could pull something out of their collective minds that would develop her more than any of us could imagine and make her even more interesting than she already is.

Perfectly explained I am sort of shy my self I love to meet new people but it is hard because of my shyness.

• Brohoof 1

YES WE WANT TO SEE GROWTH!!!  Fluttershy will probably always be the timid pony who is more comfortable with animals than other ponies but she could lose at least a few fears. In Lesson Zero (yes I'm going there) Twilight says that Fluttershy was always trying to get over one fear or another, so it wouldn't hurt her ''adorability'' to lose some fears

Friendship is Magic: Part One- Fluttershy can't even speak to a stranger without crippling anxiety.
Putting Your Hoof Down- She attempts to (poorly) flirt with a shopkeeper, in an attempt to be assertive.
Keep Calm and Flutter On- She pretty much tells Discord to fuck off after he won't fix the mess me made.

She's grown, man. You can't turn around introvertedness and social anxiety in just a few episodes.

• Brohoof 2

TBH, I don't buy her whole weak and helpless line. The fact that she was able to take down a Dragon and Cockatrace on her own, and her violence in PYHD makes that line seem more like a cover up for anger issues so that no pony gets hurt. But your right, shyness isn't something that can be cured in just a season or two. But to be honest, I want the writers to go all out with her backstory. Her outburst at the gala and instance of bullying make me believe she was abused as a filly. We need to see where her dark side comes from, as well as what her family is like.

Friendship is Magic: Part One- Fluttershy can't even speak to a stranger without crippling anxiety.

Putting Your Hoof Down- She attempts to (poorly) flirt with a shopkeeper, in an attempt to be assertive.

Keep Calm and Flutter On- She pretty much tells Discord to fuck off after he won't fix the mess me made.

She's grown, man. You can't turn around introvertedness and social anxiety in just a few episodes.

True but my statement still stands

But to be honest, I want the writers to go all out with her backstory. Her outburst at the gala and instance of bullying make me believe she was abused as a filly. We need to see where her dark side comes from, as well as what her family is like.

In other words, you just want them to validate your headcanon. I can 100% guarantee that won't happen.

Fluttershy has developed but much much more slowly than the others which is fine given her extreme social anxiety but I feel that they often overplay if too much and do not properly utilize it making her a very inconsistent character. They seem to in far too many cases make her shy or "assertive" not when the story dictates it but simply as a contrived plot convenience (huge difference) but there are some times where they do in fact get it right. Case in point is the episode Bats, She was polite and kind she voiced her concerns clearly and succinctly in that episode, she voiced that sort of middle ground between doormat and Fluterrage showing some clear progress and continuity. It is the first episode I think of when I think of Fluttershy done right.

That's not at all what I'm saying. It's just that if you look at the episode from a pragmatic perspective, the episode gets to claim it's development while changing and accomplishing absolutely nothing.

And Fluttershy has never had such a love of singing, nor has she ever been very good at it, nor has she shown particular trouble singing in front of a crowd. Watch Hearth's Warming Eve, she's nervous sure but she just does it because it's not that big a deal for her like flying in public was due to her childhood traumas.

Well, lots of episodes don't change anything. I don't think that's a bad thing, especially since, as I said, this episode provides a very important message to the audience, especially the young audience.

And yes, she was on stage in HWE, but she wasn't singing. This would seem very odd for someone who doesn't have Anxiety, but even things that logically should be similar can feel very different to such a person. For example, I have a much easier time singing and acting in a play in front of people than I do giving a presentation, even to a much smaller crowd. Is it logical? No, goodness no, but that really is how it works. Maybe it just works in a different way for Fluttershy

(I also feel like HWE sort of just used the play as an easy way to tell the story the play was showing? Idk, I wasn't in love with the way they did that, even if I liked the story well enough)

• Brohoof 1

Well, lots of episodes don't change anything. I don't think that's a bad thing, especially since, as I said, this episode provides a very important message to the audience, especially the young audience.

Those episodes don't actively pretend they're developing.

And yes, she was on stage in HWE, but she wasn't singing.

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts~♪ :fluttershy:

nah, she really hasn´t.

The problem is,though: a lot of Fluttershy´s character is, well,her shyness.

Take that away from her and what´s left? A pony that nurtures animals.(heck, "shy" is in her name, for god´s sake^^)

Her shyness is her trademark, and i think she´d be a pretty boring character without it.

Because of that, she learns the same lessons over and over again.

But shyness is a big topic, so i guess it´s okay for her.

• Brohoof 1

TBH, I don't buy her whole weak and helpless line. The fact that she was able to take down a Dragon and Cockatrace on her own, and her violence in PYHD makes that line seem more like a cover up for anger issues so that no pony gets hurt. But your right, shyness isn't something that can be cured in just a season or two. But to be honest, I want the writers to go all out with her backstory. Her outburst at the gala and instance of bullying make me believe she was abused as a filly. We need to see where her dark side comes from, as well as what her family is like.

Fluttershy does see herself as weak and helpless, even though she's not. A lot of people didn't know what to make of that line, she just has such low self-esteem that she sees herself as useless and a burden. I found that line to be extremely revealing, especially for a kids show.

I also have the abuse headcannon, actually, and I can totally buy that she has some anger issues deep down. I don't think we'll ever explore the former in cannon, but I would like to think that that's why we've never seen her family.

nah, she really hasn´t.

The problem is,though: a lot of Fluttershy´s character is, well,her shyness.

Take that away from her and what´s left? A pony that nurtures animals.(heck, "shy" is in her name, for god´s sake^^)

Her shyness is her trademark, and i think she´d be a pretty boring character without it.

But shyness is a big topic, so i guess it´s okay for her.

I don't think Fluttershy is a boring character. In fact, I'd argue that she has the most backstory potential of the mane 6. I want to see what the writers have in store for that.

One does not grow out of their shyness overnight. Watch the clip of Twilight meeting Fluttershy and then tell me she hasn't grown at all:

As Fluttershy says, baby steps. She has definitely grown over the series, but expecting a huge change is unrealistic.

Again, this really hasn't happened.

A lot of people didn't know what to make of that line, she just has such low self-esteem that she sees herself as useless and a burden.

It's funny because that's the exact opposite of what she was saying in that scene.

I can't agree with Fluttershy only being in the background.  We've seen her really stepping up in the foreground when her friends have been in trouble. Dragonshy is an excellent example.  Nothing shy about Fluttershy then.  Also sorting out Discord well and truly during the days of chaos and "discord".  I don't see her repetitive at all.  Nothing stereotyped about Hurricane Fluttershy. 

Fluttershy does see herself as weak and helpless, even though she's not. A lot of people didn't know what to make of that line, she just has such low self-esteem that she sees herself as useless and a burden. I found that line to be extremely revealing, especially for a kids show.

I also have the abuse headcannon, actually, and I can totally buy that she has some anger issues deep down. I don't think we'll ever explore the former in cannon, but I would like to think that that's why we've never seen her family.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that line was a cover up. If she really did see herself as weak and helpless, she wouldn't have the animal taming talents she has, she wouldn't have been able to cleverly reform Discord. I just don't think that line adds up onsidering what we've been shown. I suspect she tries to hide her anger and strength to prevent ponies from getting hurt.

Those episodes don't actively pretend they're developing.

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts~♪ :fluttershy:

I don't see how "baby steps" is pretending at anything. I am curious though, what would you have considered an appropriate resolution? I can't really imagine anything that would have accomplished quite what that resolution did.

And I'd forgotten that there was a bit of a song, actually. Well, there goes my theory for rectifying an otherwise problematic episode... Unless you consider that Fluttershy was just singing with others. She didn't have a solo did she? Because it is much easier to sing with others.

Regardless, that episode blurs the lines between reality and imagination so much that I wouldn't use it to discuss anyone's character.

It's funny because that's the exact opposite of what she was saying in that scene.

And this is just downright confusing. I'm trying to figure out how you could possibly have interpreted that, but I'm not getting anything

Nah, I'm pretty sure that line was a cover up. If she really did see herself as weak and helpless, she wouldn't have the animal taming talents she has, she wouldn't have been able to cleverly reform Discord. I just don't think that line adds up onsidering what we've been shown. I suspect she tries to hide her anger and strength to prevent ponies from getting hurt.

Hmm, I guess you could look at it this way, since we can't know for sure. I just can't take her actions as proof that she was bluffing, because I know firsthand that you can do all sorts of amazing things and still see yourself as useless sometimes, especially when it's suggested to you.

I don't see how "baby steps" is pretending at anything. I am curious though, what would you have considered an appropriate resolution? I can't really imagine anything that would have accomplished quite what that resolution did.

Most of the episodes I have problems with I have a pretty good answer for, but this one simply shouldn't exist in the first place. Again, none of the conflicts here make any sense for the established character. Fluttershy doesn't love singing, she's not an amazing singer, and she doesn't have a phobia of singing. But as a slight answer, consider this. In Hurricane Fluttershy, they didn't just tell us about Fluttershy's actual phobia of flying in public like that, they showed us why she has it. Everything in Filli Vanilli is told to us, but not shown.

And I'd forgotten that there was a bit of a song, actually. Well, there goes my theory for rectifying an otherwise problematic episode... Unless you consider that Fluttershy was just singing with others. She didn't have a solo did she? Because it is much easier to sing with others.

Um, Ponytones? C'mon.

And this is just downright confusing. I'm trying to figure out how you could possibly have interpreted that, but I'm not getting anything

Discord: Fluttershy, looks like you've been left behind by your so-called friends, huh?

Fluttershy: Oh, no. I'm certain they're doing their best to find me.

Discord: Well, it must be so upsetting to know how weak and helpless they think you are.

Fluttershy: Not at all. I am weak and helpless and I appreciate their understanding.

Discord: Yes... Well, surely it burns you up... I mean, that they're always pointing out your flaws, right?

Fluttershy: Not really. In fact, I think I'm awfully lucky to have friends who want me to be the best I can be.  

Discord tries to make her think she's considered a burden and she brushes it off because he's attacking the wrong weakness.

Edited by Dulset Tarn

I don't think Fluttershy is a boring character. In fact, I'd argue that she has the most backstory potential of the mane 6. I want to see what the writers have in store for that.

I don´t think fluttershy is a boring character, either.I never said that.

Quite the contrary, i don´t even mind seeing her facing similar problems in each episode.

I don´t care if similar gags are done again and again, i am the kind of person who will laugh at the 100th time a running gag is presented("Half-Life 3 confirmed")

As i said, i think that it´s just too much a part of her character.

All i was trying to say is that i could see how other people might get bored of her.

Again, this really hasn't happened.

Well not exactly, but she always learns something that´s related to her shyness.

As i said, it´s a big topic,though.

Most of the episodes I have problems with I have a pretty good answer for, but this one simply shouldn't exist in the first place. Again, none of the conflicts here make any sense for the established character. Fluttershy doesn't love singing, she's not an amazing singer, and she doesn't have a phobia of singing. But as a slight answer, consider this. In Hurricane Fluttershy, they didn't just tell us about Fluttershy's actual phobia of flying in public like that, they showed us why she has it. Everything in Filli Vanilli is told to us, but not shown.

Um, Ponytones? C'mon.

Discord: Fluttershy, looks like you've been left behind by your so-called friends, huh?

Fluttershy: Oh, no. I'm certain they're doing their best to find me.

Discord: Well, it must be so upsetting to know how weak and helpless they think you are.

Fluttershy: Not at all. I am weak and helpless and I appreciate their understanding.

Discord: Yes... Well, surely it burns you up... I mean, that they're always pointing out your flaws, right?

Fluttershy: Not really. In fact, I think I'm awfully lucky to have friends who want me to be the best I can be.  

Discord tries to make her think she's considered a burden and she brushes it off because he's attacking the wrong weakness.

None of those things seemed implausible to me. I think she's a good singer, and you can't exactly show the reason behind an irrational fear. And she had a lot of solo lines as a ponytone. Regardless though, to be honest even if I despised this episode I would still be happy it exists, because of all the good it will do for its viewers who have this problem, especially its younger ones. I don't think you can really get this, so it probably isn't worth trying to explain. Anxiety can only be so well-understood by someone who doesn't have it, and I don't get the sense that you're interested in trying. 

And in the end, anyone can nitpick her character as much as they want, but this is what it comes down to. Fluttershy matters to us, to this one marginalized group. She's an accurate depiction of Anxiety, and she helps people love and accept themselves the way they are. She was made for us. I have heard so many people say so many ridiculous things about her, and it's not that they don't get her character. It's that they don't get us. They don't get Anxiety. And unless they want to try to see what it's like, to feel what we feel, Fluttershy will never make sense to them. Not ever. So, it's a moot point, I guess. I can talk and talk, but lots of people just won't get it.

• Brohoof 1