Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Greek Symbols?

DubWolf

All the math, science and engineering majors are most likely to use so many of them, that it becomes fun to write them out :P. Which are your favorites? I like lower-case mu, ksi, eta, et cetera :P.

• Brohoof 3

I like Pi π   and this other though I dont remember what it is =) Σ

That's Sigma, which anyone who's played Mega Man X could tell you.  My personal favorite has always been the uppercase Omega symbol. 

• Brohoof 2

ϕ (phi), which represents the Golden Ratio, 1.618.  Try multiplying 1.618 by itself, and you'll get 2.618, or 1.618 + 1.  Then, try dividing 1 by 1.618, and you'll get 0.618, or 1.618 - 1.  I love it!  It's found in Fibonacci Sequences and a myriad of natural and geometric phenomena.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite Greek symbols are the following:

• α - lowercase alpha, used in statistics for significance tests if I recall correctly, also used to denote angles and the lower limit for a definite integral over a polar region

• β - lowercase beta, used in statistics for significance tests, also used to denote angles and the upper limit for a definite integral over a polar region. may also be used to denote the beta function, but that might actually be uppercase beta, I don't remember

• Σ - uppercase sigma, often used to denote the sum of an infinite series

• Γ - uppercase gamma, used to represent the gamma function in mathematics, an extension of the notion of factorial and defined by an improper integral

• Δ - uppercase delta, used to denote change and is often found in definitions involving differentials and limits

• δ - lowercase delta, sometimes used to denote partial derivatives

• ε - lowercase epsilon, used in the formal definition of limits

• ζ - lowercase zeta, used to denote the Riemann-Zeta function, among other related functions

• θ - lowercase theta, often used to denote angles

• Λ - uppercase lambda, used in some advanced mathematics that I don't understand at all

• λ - lowercase lambda, found in some modern physics equations

• μ - lowercase mu, used often in statistics to denote means

• ξ - lowercase xi, looks cool

• Π - uppercase pi, used to denote infinite products

• π - lowercase pi, used to denote the beautiful transcendental number pi = 3.14159...

• ρ - lowercase rho, used in statistics and used to denote linear momentum

• σ - lowercase sigma, used in statistics to represent standard deviation

• Φ - uppercase phi, looks awesome as fuck

• φ - lowercase phi, I know this is used in math, pretty sure I saw it in my quantum mechanics book, but I don't remember what it means

• χ - lowercase chi, used to denote the chi-test for significance in statistics if I recall correctly

• Ψ - uppercase psi, hella swag

• ψ - lowercase psi, hella swag

• Ω - uppercase omega, pretty sure this is used to denote resistance or something 

• ω - lowercase omega, used to denote angular velocity

I'm sure there are many more applications in mathematics, physics, and elsewhere of the above letters, I just listed what I was familiar with from memory.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think my favourite is the uppercase Omega - though that's probably because of Marilyn Manson's usage of it in his Mechanical Animals era.

"Presenting Omega and the Mechanical Animals"

• Brohoof 1

I like the letter Ξ or Xi as it's called, because i've noticed it's similarities to the Japanese numerical for 3 (三). Half Life 3 confirmed... :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Dark Horse Brony
  • Brohoof 3

I like lower case Beta (β), both versions of Psi (Ψ), both versions of Phi (Φ), and both versions of Sigma (Σ,σ). I just think they look cool.

I also think lower case Zeta (ζ), Delta (δ), and Xi (ξ) look weird.

From memory: 3.1415926535897932384626

Why not? Memorized that three years ago by the way. Still remember it. Pies. Pies everywhere.