Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Will we ever see Sombra again?

Megan Williams

So, in the first Fiendship is magic comic, we find out that Sombra is not a pony, but some sort of shadow creature, and is clear from the end of the comic that he is not dead. So, will we (or should we) see him again in the show?

Comics aren't canon to the show unless proven otherwise, so for now, Sombra is still dead.

And personally, I wouldn't like to see him in the show again.

• Brohoof 1

Comics aren't canon to the show unless proven otherwise, so for now, Sombra is still dead.

And personally, I wouldn't like to see him in the show again.

Actually my friend, it's the other way round, the comics are canon unless proved otherwise by the show!

@@Megan Williams

Spoiler prefix and topic title edited to minimize spoilers. Keep in mind that not everyone has had a chance to read this yet. :)

• Brohoof 1

He was shattered into a million pieces and scattered throughout Equestria; that means it'll take at least another season before he comes back...

Personally, though, I don't think we need to see him again. As he is, there's not all that much we can still do with him to make him more interesting than he was when he first popped up.

Considering that Sombra is my favorite villain I would LOVE to see him in the show again! Not sure what else they could do with him, but now that he has a solid backstory I'd love to see this explored. Sombra is one of those irredeemably evil villains. <3

• Brohoof 1

I felt that his portrayal in the show was a bit lacking but I just read the comic today and loved it. Sombra has a great deal of potential as a character and it was brought out in this comic and it can be brought out should he make a return appearance in the show.

If they can give him as much work and characterization as in the comic then yes, I'd love to see him again. For the show to just have him used as "Generic evil obstacle #4" or whatever, with practically zero development and a background pulled out from the cliche box... come on writing team, you've shown us your better then that! Its just wasted opportunity imo.

Actually my friend, it's the other way round, the comics are canon unless proved otherwise by the show!

Yep..... Burden of proof and all that......

It would be interesting...... Hes Definently not mortal, judging by his appearance and the fact he's survived thousands of years, so it's foolish to assume he is gone for good...... Maybe he will get reformed like discord?

Hopefully. No MLP villain tops Sombra's badassery. 

Then again, you have to think, it's Hasbro.

Why would you think Sombra was a good villain? He never even did anything. :P

If anything, the changling queen needs to make an appearance again. We never really got to see sombra, his motives, wants, personality or anything compared to what we saw from the others. He was basically just fodder for the introduction of a new prinecss.

Why would you think Sombra was a good villain? He never even did anything. :P

If anything, the changling queen needs to make an appearance again. We never really got to see sombra, his motives, wants, personality or anything compared to what we saw from the others. He was basically just fodder for the introduction of a new prinecss.

Honestly, there's a lot more that's subtle to Sombra then I believe people realize. Really, when I look at Sombra I see a scheming no-nonsense villain who has a goal and won't let an ego get in the way of that. He had plenty of intelligence and fore-sight in regards to his traps, and if it wasn't for Spike showing up Twilight could very well have been beaten.

Really, I'm someone who adores Chrysalis, but Sombra is my #1 villain and #1 pony for a reason. When he was defeated it wasn't because of arrogance or general stupidity; part of it was luck, but Sombra was legitimately beaten.

I'm fine with your opinion of him as a villain, but I won't go without responding to the fodder comment, no offense. :)

Honestly, there's a lot more that's subtle to Sombra then I believe people realize. Really, when I look at Sombra I see a scheming no-nonsense villain who has a goal and won't let an ego get in the way of that. He had plenty of intelligence and fore-sight in regards to his traps, and if it wasn't for Spike showing up Twilight could very well have been beaten.

Really, I'm someone who adores Chrysalis, but Sombra is my #1 villain and #1 pony for a reason. When he was defeated it wasn't because of arrogance or general stupidity; part of it was luck, but Sombra was legitimately beaten.

I'm fine with your opinion of him as a villain, but I won't go without responding to the fodder comment, no offense. :)

Maybe, but I want to see more of him than as a villain and more importantly, motives and inspirations for wanting to rule. Where his powers came from etc.

I just see him as a "boo I am in the shadows" and than he gets blasted at the end of the episode kind of villain. We never even really got to see him or have him do anything outside of trying to get into the city. I just think they handled him very poorly at first is all. We never even got to know anything about him or who he was.

Maybe, but I want to see more of him than as a villain and more importantly, motives and inspirations for wanting to rule. Where his powers came from etc.

I just see him as a "boo I am in the shadows" and than he gets blasted at the end of the episode kind of villain. We never even really got to see him or have him do anything outside of trying to get into the city. I just think they handled him very poorly at first is all. We never even got to know anything about him or who he was.

That's fair, and different people will see characters differently. As such, Sombra's motive was to gain control of the Crystal Kingdom. Why that is wasn't important to me, but I can see why it would be to others. Thankfully we get some backstory on that in the recent "FIENDship is Magic" issue of the comics.

As for not seeing him do anything; he didn't really need to; nor really could he as Cadence pretty much had him at a standstill with her shield. He just bided his time and waited; which is something I that I do admire greatly in a villain. He doesn't rush in blindly; potentially making him vulnerable. He took his time; showing (to me) that he is a calculating villain.

What to some may look like nothing to me looks like a lot; and again that will appeal to some and not to others.

That's fair, and different people will see characters differently. As such, Sombra's motive was to gain control of the Crystal Kingdom. Why that is wasn't important to me, but I can see why it would be to others. Thankfully we get some backstory on that in the recent "FIENDship is Magic" issue of the comics.

As for not seeing him do anything; he didn't really need to; nor really could he as Cadence pretty much had him at a standstill with her shield. He just bided his time and waited; which is something I that I do admire greatly in a villain. He doesn't rush in blindly; potentially making him vulnerable. He took his time; showing (to me) that he is a calculating villain.

What to some may look like nothing to me looks like a lot; and again that will appeal to some and not to others.

Maybe I will try and catch up with the comics. I only have up to issue 10 right now.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe I will try and catch up with the comics. I only have up to issue 10 right now.

Well, if you want to catch up on Sombra some, the following issues provide the best details:

Main Series #17-#20, Reflections Arc (granted features the alternate Sombra, but still gives some clues in regards to personality)

Friends Forever #4, Twilight & Shining Armor (a brief mention, but somewhat informative)

FIENDship is Magic #1, Sombra (Going to be your best bet, a great deal on his backstory & motivations)

I never really cared about Sombra.... I can't put my finger on it but there is something about him I don't like.... ah got it, its that he isn't really seen as a character more of a thing.... at least he is to me

• Brohoof 1