Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions on the ME3 endings?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

Mass Effect 3 is notorious for it's horrible endings.

But what can be said EXACTLY about these endings?

Let's start with Synthesis Ending first.

People often say this is the best ending out of the 3.

But is it really?

Everyone basically turns into robots right?

Well... let's take a quick look at what Mordin says about the Collectors in ME2.

"No soul, replaced by tech. Whatever they were is gone forever."

Can't the same be said about the Synthesis Ending?

If everything that made up you was replaced by cybernetics, would you still be yourself.

By Mordin's logic, the answer would be no.

So if that is true, the Synthesis Ending has to be the absolute worst ending out of the 3.

What about the Control and Destruction Endings?

Well believe it or not, both these ending are almost the same.

The Control Ending:

•Reapers go away

•Everyone lives

•You die

The Destruction Ending:

•Reapers go away

•Everyone lives

•BUT you live

Now I know you're thinking, "Wait a second... YOU LIVE?"

Yes, if any of you went with the Destruction Ending, you'd know I'm talking about.

For those who don't know, watch this video.

You live.

You frikn' live.

Now I know you're apparently in horrible condition and looks like you won't survive, but who's to say they can't re-do the Lazerous Project again and put you back together again?

I think the Destruction Ending provides the most hope for Shepard.

What are your thoughts on these endings?

Edited by Commander Shepard
  • Brohoof 2

Destroy, destroy, destroy.

That's the ending I've picked throughout ALL of my ME3 playthroughs.

Why?  Because well, think about it.  What have we been trying to accomplish throughout the entire series?  Destroy the reapers.  What does the destroy ending do?  It destroys the reapers.  You can also see Shepard's eyes turn blue like the Illusive Man's in the Control and Synthesis endings.

By picking the other endings you're turning your back on all of the principles you've learned up until this point, in my opinion.  Anyone is welcome to critique me if they do so desire.

And how about that troll ending when you shoot the starbrat in the face?  It's basically a  :umad: bro ending.

Shooting Harbi-uh, I mean Starchild Ending:
  • Reapers stay
  • Everyone dies
  • You die
  • Brohoof 2

<p>Destroy, destroy, destroy. That's the ending I've picked throughout ALL of my ME3 playthroughs. Why?  Because well, think about it.  What have we been trying to accomplish throughout the entire series?  Destroy the reapers.  What does the destroy ending do?  It destroys the reapers.  You can also see Shepard's eyes turn blue like the Illusive Man's in the Control and Synthesis endings. By picking the other endings you're turning your back on all of the principles you've learned up until this point, in my opinion.  Anyone is welcome to critique me if they do so desire. And how about that troll ending when you shoot the starbrat in the face?  It's basically a  :umad: bro ending.Shooting Harbi-uh, I mean Starchild Ending:

• Reapers stay
  • Everyone dies
  • You die

Fun Mass Effect fact:

The Reapers aren't the biggest threat to the galaxy.

The Catalyst is.

The Catalyst is that Star Child thingy that you mentioned.

It's actually a super advanced AI.

It was created billions of years ago by an ancient civilization called The Leviathans.

The Leviathans originally created The Catalyst to maintain life in the galaxy.

The Catalyst turned on the Leviathans and created The Reapers.

The Reapers wiped out all civilization and the cycle began.

So by destroying all synthetic life, you are also destroying the Catalyst. (the very root of the extiction problem)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I already knew that but thanks anyway  :)

I've gotten into several debates about why the Destroy ending is the definitive ending, most of them being with my friends back on campus.

They argue about the little things, like what about the Geth and EDI?  My response is that the Geth were created once.  Who says that they can't be created again?  The same can also be said for EDI.  I believe that after she's been destroyed that she can be created again.

The Catalyst believed itself to be infallible, but when you choose the Destroy ending it finally realizes that it has failed in continuing the cycle.  Or maybe it never realizes when it's been beaten, since all it is is an AI programmed for only one purpose, to continue the cycle of destruction.

>Making me relive Mass Effect 3's endings

TRIGGERED

Here is my favorite ending. Alt-F4 immediately after talking to the Illusive Man and make something up. 

In all seriousness, I always pick destroy.

Synthesis 

So Star Kid needs you're DNA to make everybody half robot so Shepard throws himself into a lazer and dies. Then end. First of all, that's not how DNA works. Shepard having advanced cybernetics implanted in him wouldn't change his DNA. It wouldn't magically make everybody half robot. Mass Effect isn't exactly hard science fiction, but come on. I can't suspend my disbelief that far. Second, he wouldn't need to sacrifice himself to give Star Kid a sample of his DNA. Some blood would do, hes already bleeding all over the place anyway. A noble sacrifice doesn't have much impact when the hero sacrifices himself when there really is no reason too.

And that's ignoring the fact that the green ending is just kind of creepy. Green is easily the worst ending in my eyes.

Control

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Shepard becomes a god, basically. For one thing, I don't trust any one person with that kind of power, even someone like Shepard. He/she would have nobody to keep him in check. The galaxy would live in fear of the god that they know could crush them at any time. That's no way to live. You might as well just let the Reapers have their way. Second, fuck the Reapers. Kill 'um. 

Destroy

You do what you set out to do, the Reapers are dead. The galaxy is saved, though at the expense of the Geth and EDI which admittedly sucks (Though I consider that sort of a plot hole. If the Control ending only controls the Reapers, why can't the Crucible only destroy just them? It obviously can distinguish them from the rest). Shepard even survives. Easily the best one. Really suffers from a lack of closure for the characters though (As they all do). If not for that, I might have enjoyed it. As it stands, I find this ending to be tolerable after the extended cut. 

And how about that troll ending when you shoot the starbrat in the face?  It's basically a  :umad: bro ending.

I got a chuckle out of that when they added it. Lots of people were yelling about how they wanted to refuse all of the endings. So they added that ending, and everyone in the game dies. 

• Brohoof 2