Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on Smoking

ThatOneComrade

I just don't understand why anyone does it to begin with. I can't see anything good about it.

I don't hate people who smoke, but I can have a hard time being around them because the smell gets to me. I especially could never date someone who smokes. Sorry.

• Brohoof 3

I don't have positive views on it. However, if someone is going to smoke, it is his own problem. I don't smoke, nor will I ever do so. 

• Brohoof 2

I personally don't advise it and I see it as a pretty bad habit. But if someone smokes, that's their decision. I wouldn't really leave the room if you were smoking and, if I was dating someone who smokes, I wouldn't see it as a reason to break up with them

• Brohoof 1

I think it's stupid. But not everyone who smokes it stupid. I wish there were some healthier habits that are addictive. Like "I'm so stressed out I am gonna cook a nice healthy meal and enjoy it to feel better." type of healthy. 

I actually could totally get behind that. More incentive to make healthier food cheaper! 

I absolutely hate it. Smoking cigarettes has absolutely no positive effects whatsoever and only negative effects. It affects your health, it can affect others around you, the cigarettes that are tossed around harm the environment, and on top of this, they are a huge waste of money and are designed solely to get you addicted.  Ido not understand how these things can even be legal at this point. It is one of the only products on the market that actively has a big health warning that says "Hey, this stuff can kill you." And we still allow it.

I am quite against smoking as you can tell. My dad smokes all the time and it bothers me to no end. There is absolutely no point to smoking.

To be devil's advocate here:

Alcohol destroys families and obesity causes more death per year than smoking, yet alcohol and fast food remain legal. We have proven there are virtually no benefits to either of those things either. It boils down to: it's your body, you want to destroy it, that's your right.

I hate them so much, I keep being tempted to ask people on the street, "You enjoying that cancer stick?". I hate them so much, if we started dating, I would break it off if I found out you smoked, I don't care who you are to me. I hate them so much, I openly make my family feel bad about smoking near me!

This is the only issue I have with non-smokers as I stated. How would you feel if I got in your face about every unhealthy decision in your life? Every time you stop at McDonalds, I roll up and inform you how bad fast food is for you. "Do you enjoy becoming overweight and dying at a young age? How are those diabetes treating you?" Etc.

Most people who smoke know it's bad for you, and most that I've met do not advocate smoking either. So making them feel bad for it is kind of just being a jerk. 

I try to avoid becoming addicted to smoking because it's unhealthy and (especially in Norway) cost a lot of money.

However, I think smoking looks cool.

I do smoke at parties, because then it feels great (for some reason). Also it is the ultimate ice breaker among other smokers, so it's really social.

Remember kids, the dose makes the poison. That's what I would say if I were a super hero  :toldya:

Edited by Blaze Bronson

I think smoking cigarettes is stupid. Research has shown that it does increase the chances of cancers. My grandmother has been smoking cigarettes daily for years and she is in her 70s, but that doesn't mean everyone can do that. On a wide scale, it is pretty much a form of slow suicide that makes others richer.

If you smoke a cigar every now and then, fine, but daily smoking of cigarettes is a bad idea and I can't believe people got snagged into it (never heard of someone smoke a cigarette every now and then).

If their excuse is to relax, that's dumb too. It wouldn't be smart for me to binge eat candy when I'm stressed. I'll end up with a higher risk of some illness.

That said, I also hate anti-smokers. Cuz if you think I'm anti-smoking, these guys are worse.

You'll ask "can one cigar hurt me" and they'll just mouth off "any tobacco based product raises the chance for getting cancer stats stats stats".

And it's like, all I did is ask if one will do anything.

Someone else on here said it perfectly when he said that anti-smokers make cancer seem like an std; as if one smoke can give it to you.

Another funny one is when you ask "I okow skoking isn't cool, but why does smoking have that cool guy association". Cuz there's no denying it, smoking in the media has always been presented as the cool action hero's past time.

And they'll reply as "smoking isn't cool. Stats stats stats. Is cancer cool?".

And it's like, I know it's not cool, that wasn't my question.

So because of these people, I kinda relax my views on smoking because good god, anti-smokers can be some of the most aggressive, close minded people I have ever seen. Just makes me want to a smoker and shake his hand...and then feel a sense of pity that they might actually be addicted to a product that may one day end his life. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

Edited by pollo20x6

Pretty sure I've been here and done this before. Well, not here in this topic specifically, but, uh... anyway.

Let me start off by saying this: I completely understand if someone hates smoking. There's plenty of good reasons to dislike it, although there's a few bad ones as well, but I digress.

Now, with that said, I am a smoker myself, and frankly I don't give much of a damn who doesn't like it. Before you start angerly calling me out for being arrogant, let me clarify: as a smoker, I try my best to respect people who don't smoke. if we are friends, I won't smoke around you, in your car or your home if you don't want me to. I won't leave any cigarette butts in or on any of your personal property, and even if you're OK with me smoking around you, or if you're a stranger, I will still do my best to make sure none of the smoke ends up in your face or other personal space. My point is. I try not to let me habit affect those around me whom don't want any part of it.

When I say I don't care who doesn't agree with it, I'm referring to the feverent anti-smoker types. Smoking is bad for me? No fucking shit. For the life of me, I can't wrap my mind around people who say this to smokers, as if they've never heard it before, or that maybe hearing it for the thousandth time will be the time they decide to quit right then and there. Some people try to defend it as giving "reminders". If you don't know this, there are "reminders" of smokings' negative health effects on every single tobacco product you can buy, so you're essentially wasting your time with efforts of futility. Oh, and that ridiculous overdramatic coughing when a puff of smoke just so happeneds to enter you personal space? Look, I'm genuinely sorry that that happened, but fuck off; it was an accident, and other than an unpleasent smell for a brief moment, you will be just fine, so drop the act.

I personally enjoy smoking. I know there's people whom claim it has no positives (some I've seen in this thread), but I say, speak for yourself. I like the taste, I like how it feels when I inhale, I like the buzz I get from it, and I like the overall act of smoking itself. Yes, I am an addict, and yes, sometimes I do worry about the probable health consequences I may face in the future: but everytime I weigh the pros and cons in my mind, it always comes out in favor of smoking. Simply put, I love it.

I recognize that I'm in quite the minority regarding this viewpoint, and as originally stated, I completely understand if you don't want to smoke yourself, or be around people whom are smoking. (And to those whom currently smoke, but wish to quit: it is, no doubt, extremely difficult, but just keep in mind that people have done it before, and people will continue to do it; it's not impossible, and if you keep trying you will one day succeed. Just find the method that works for you.) But I am sick and tired of being ostricized for doing something Iove, and that I try my hardest to keep to myself and from affecting others; I also recognize that there are smokers out there who smoke wherever and around whomever they feel like, regardless of the situation or the other people's well being, and litter thier smoking materials everywhere. Feel free to criticize these assholes.

Tl;DR: If you want to smoke, go right ahead, just always be curteous about it. If you don't want to smoke, good for you, just don't be a dick to a smoker unless their behavior warrants it.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, I'm not gonna judge for smoking.

Sure, it's bad for you, but you know what else is bad for you? Cookies.

I don't smoke myself (aside from a cigar once in a blue moon), but I mean, in moderation, I doubt it's going to shave any noticeable time off of your lifespan.... And I'm sure as heck not gonna give up eating cookies, either X3

I've never smoked. both my parents smoked when I was growing up, but now only my dad smokes. I hate the smell, always have. Stale smoke smell is worse than fresh i think, like getting into a smoker's car, bleurgh!

I don't see the attraction with vaping either. round here a lot of people are vaping who never smoked, so they're not using it as a way to stop smoking.  I just don't get it, and worry that in 20 years we'll find out it's just as harmful, or more harmful than smoking.

I smoked once when I was a kid (yes, a kid) and after that never. Heck my roommates smoked and vape all the time and I kinda fell into second-hand smokers. I really don't mind people smoking because that's their rights. It's best if you view them as 'personal needs' rather than pitying them which is very humiliating them.

I hate everything to do with smoking , especially the smell and how it lurks and stains clothing. I've never smoked, and I have no plans on ever doing so.

However if other people want to smoke then that's their decision I guess, actually all of my immediate family smoked at one point or are still smoking, nearly all of my friends smoke also. I don't bitch about smoking to them, since its their choice. Although one of my friends is a heavy smoker and in registration class he sits in front of me, and it stinks really bad.  :mellow:  

Edited by Vennax
  • Brohoof 3

I grew up in a smoking household. My old man used to smoke like a fish, before he started a bit of drinking.

In all honesty, I don't really care if people smoke or not, but if you are going to do it, at least have some common courtesy and don't do it around other people. It's unhealthy for everyone, and smoking around others is more dangerous for them, catching the secondhand smoke, than it is for the smoker themselves.

• Brohoof 4

Personally, I don't smoke, but I have a few relatives who do. Even though I wish they'd quit for their health, it's their own choice and it doesn't involve me whatsoever. I just don't go near them when they do, because I get huge migraines whenever I smell any sort of smoke.

• Brohoof 1

If you want to do it, go ahead. I hate it personally, but if that's what someone wants to spend their money and time (and health) on, then let them.

• Brohoof 1

I used to smoke myself. Just recently quit. let's put it this way though, starting was the worst mistake of my life. All it's done is make me look older and made me feel sick all the time.

It's just a terrible thing to do...

I don't smoke and I don't likes smoking. I can't stand the smell of nicotine and I find smoking disgusting. Besides, it's to dangerous for me to smoke because of the health risk and the dependence. I also have a problem when other persons smoke and then talk to me or their clothes smell of nicotine.  :eww:

I don't like it, and I'm actually confused on how people even start smoking. I mean, I can't think of one positive thing about smoking against the laundry list of side-effects and ways it can kill you. The smell of the smoke alone makes me nauseous, so if they taste like what they smell like, then again I can't think of a single reason to start. Plus, nowadays if it's just for the nicotine there are more than enough alternatives like the gum or E-Cigs.

The worst though are the people who get genuinely offended or mad when when you tell them not to smoke in a smoke-less area or at the very least move down-wind. My sister asked one guy to move downwind once and he acted like she had just insulted his mother.

Smoking is one of the most dangerous chances of dying, gaining disease, and ruining other's health when they are near you.

I do not support the use of cigarettes at all no matter what the cause. Marijuana I only support if it is used as a painkiller prescribed by a Doctor, but doing it because it is fun is the most dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

• Brohoof 2

I'd be lying if I said I have no trouble with people smoking around me, having to inhale second hand smoke is just about one of the most unpleasant things to put up with. :wat: I nagged at my parents for years when I was younger to call it quits and stop flooding the house with it, and I'm pleased to say I was successful!

That being said, I don't judge people outside my family who smoke. What others choose to indulge in and spend their money on is no concern of mine. But I do believe that people should at least have some manners when choosing to smoke, like smoking downwind and preferably away from children.

If there is one thing that seriously bothers me though, it's seeing a place littered with cigarette butts. Talk about an ugly sight for anywhere. post-30925-0-59454100-1441412617.png

• Brohoof 1

Smoking is dreadful for your lungs. Don't do it. It's a waste of time, money, and deteriorates your health over time. Not to mention it harms others along with it harming yourself.

Weed isn't nearly as harmful as cigarettes, but extended usage (mainly as a teen) still causes longterm damage to your lungs, possibly the development of the brain, and it is known to have an effect on sperm count. E-cigs are the least harmful (as far as we know), but they've have had no longterm studies, so if you're smoking E-cigs, you're essentially a lab rat for the E-cig companies hoping there aren't longterm effects, so I'd advise against that as well unless you're using them to quit smoking other products.

Also, yes, it is my business if you smoke, because it effects me, and it effects you. I'm not going to sit idly while you slowly siphon your lung capacity, I'm going to try and help you because I care for more than just myself. It's your choice, but it's a choice you need to consider greatly, and realize the effects.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 2