Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion of opinions?

Ziggy + Angel + Rain

Opinions well everyone has them. Everyone has their right of expressing their opinions as well but I think others should respect someone else's view on something.

• Brohoof 2

"No, you're not entitled to your opinion. You're entitled to your INFORMED opinion. Without information it's just babble, hot air and farts in the wind!" - Harlan Ellison

i.e - you're entitled to what you can argue for.

I'd argue that some opinions can be beyond argument.  Not because they are universally agreed upon (and it seems as though nothing is), but because they are inherently subjective.  Best song, most appealing color, best piece of art, etc.  If I said that my favorite Ozzy song is "I Just Want You," that statement both expresses an opinion and - assuming I've spoken truthfully - a fact.  It is a fact that I consider that song a favorite.  If I said that "I Just Want You" is Ozzy's best song, however, I've expressed merely an opinion.  But, I needn't provide any supplementary evidence to strengthen my statement.  There is no Ozzy song that is objectively best; one might even favor an unpopular Ozzy song over a more popular tune.

You catch my drift.  Not all opinions need be researched and supported by informed argument; sometimes an opinion is just a piece of oneself that serves to inform others about who you are.  It would be a total waste of time to try and establish, factually, why any song is best.  And any who walked away satisfied from such an argument would be very silly indeed.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, opinions are merley opinions. At leats, that's just my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

I am of the opinion that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Please be aware that the above sentence is opinion only, and is not intended to be taken as fact.

This sentence is only an opinion.

More seriously, I think that having an opinion is a good thing, but it is unacceptable for someone to push their subjective opinions on others.

• Brohoof 1

My standpoint on this is that I don't like the word "opinion", mostly because it's just so overused. I've been trying to use other fancy words for "opinion".

Anyways, the standpoint is that opinion represent each person's individual nature, and moral values on certain subjects. They tell you a piece of how they think, believe, and comprehend the situation. More so, point of views do lead to various arguments, because everybody will not think the same on a subject good or bad. However, what interests me the most is how much those point of views can be altered and/or just stay the same. That tells you about that person as well.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This all depends what you are defining an opinion as...

Let's keep in mind that Beliefs and Prejudices are NOT opinions

Opinions are personal view or judgement about something. This varies from person to person and does not effect anyone else but you.

Example: I do not like bananas, so I do not want them in my smoothie. This does not impact a person who likes them, it only impacts you since you are the one receiving a smoothie without bananas.

Beliefs are based off an individual's culture, faith, and values

Example: It is your belief that Gods are real. This also can/should only impact you. If your neighbor does not belief in Gods, it does not effect you, nor should your belief in Gods affect them. AKA, not one belief is more correct than another, similar to opinions. They are both personal.

Prejudice is based on insufficient or unexamined evidence. A prejudice is testable, unlike beliefs or even opinions. They can come from culture or environment around the individuals. When the media, family, or culture influence a prejudice, the masses tend to take it without question or regard for detailed evidence. These target a specific person or a group of people.

Example: Women are terrible drivers. This is obviously testable, but unfortunately since this culture is biased towards this prejudice, the evidence and statistics are insufficient.

Statistics are not something to be taken seriously, they are not the end of your research to find evidence. Who created the statistic, where did they get their data, who/where did they survey/test? Asking questions is good, always ask questions.

In short,

I'm assuming by opinions of opinions you mean something like
"People who like Pop music are obnoxious"

That is not only a vague and variable statement, but is is also a prejudice.
It targets everyone who likes pop music, and labels them as 'obnoxious'

Which of course, liking a genre alone does not define you as an individual.

EDIT:

What is your understanding regarding those words?

Edited by SpiderDiscord
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Opinions are beliefs which may or may not be based on fact so while everyone has a right to express their opinions not all opinions are equally valid. Some opinions are entirely subjective and harmless like "chocolate chip cookies are tasty", some are still subjects but have both harmless and harmful applications depending on the person like "I believe in God" which can mean "I believe in God but respect your opinion" or "believe in my God or I will use the hand of government to make you".

One statement about god is one that may or may not be correct but does no harm because it respects the others right to hold a different opinion while the other is wrong because it seeks to impose itself on other people. And other opinions are complete bullshit such "*insert ethnic/religious group here* is inferior and therefore undeserving of basic human rights."

Opinions will inevitably clash which is one of the main reasons why I advocate a libertarian position because it is my opinion that it is the one philosophy that has the most amount of respect for differing viewpoints and the best way to protect the rights and freedoms of people of varying opinions and backgrounds by having a more decentralized government and allowing free experimentation of differing ideas without violating peoples rights (see voluntarism).

Edited by Darth Bane

Opinions are overrated.

^ An opinion. xD

What is your understanding regarding those words?

You differentiate between opinions, prejudice, and beliefs.  This goes, again, to the individual I know who regarded their racist outlook as an opinion; effectively using the word "opinion" as an excuse or a defense of their prejudice.  You take issue with the sort of opinions that, while still an opinion, needlessly express a prejudiced view.

• Brohoof 1

I think a lot of it depends on how well presented the opinion is. Generally, if it's well thought-out, well put together, based on a reasonable and consistent train of thought, and not said in a mean way, I don't really take any objection to it.

• Brohoof 1

My opinion on my opinion of opinions is that opinions are just opinions that goes to war every day with other opinions who fight those opinions. 

• Brohoof 1

Is this opinionception? :o 

Lol seriously even though I hold my beliefs and opinions close to me and it's hard to convince me otherwise, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It makes life interesting :squee: If everyone thought the same way, had the same opinions, and liked the same things, no one would be independent ^_^ So in a way even if opinions can divide people, they're also important :)

• Brohoof 1

opined is not a word and basically Having an opinion of an opinion is a good thing.

It is a word. It is simultaneously past and past participle of opine. You know, to hold or state one's opinion? 

An opinion of an opinion? As long as I can hold said opinion while succeeding to imagine the person complexly and beyond that opinion ... I have no qualms with that. ;)

• Brohoof 2

• 6 years later...

I try to be tolerant of others' opinions, and I usually am outwardly, but inwardly, I find myself to be somewhat judgmental of others' opinions sometimes. Me being tolerant to others' opinions is a work in progress.

• 7 months later...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. They may not necessarily agree with mine but, hey, you’re all a work in progress and hopefully you’ll come around eventually. :D Those who are particularly militant about their opinions can be annoying, not necessarily because of their opinion but the way they impose it on others. Admittedly I belong to this category. I feel strongly about my opinions and I speak out because so few others seem willing to represent them openly. I don’t care if others agree, but I would like reasonable consideration from those who wish to be likewise considered.

Edited by Dreambiscuit