Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Automatic vs Manual Transmission?

Gone Airbourne

Which do you prefer? I have yet to learn how to drive stick myself although I have practiced some. I just haven't mastered it yet. I really want to learn how to drive stick-shift and I think I would prefer it over Auto. 

But for you all what transmission do you prefer overall?

• Brohoof 1

I have an automatic, though I was learning to drive a stick for a little while. I can say I definitely prefer automatic, but manuals would definitely be fun to drive once you get the hang of it.

• Brohoof 1

I have an automatic, though I was learning to drive a stick for a little while. I can say I definitely prefer automatic, but manuals would definitely be fun to drive once you get the hang of it.

I have had an automatic till now although I have tried to practice on my step-father's old ford ranger which was manual. I have a deep desire to learn how to drive manual well soon enough. Automatic is nice but they always say that a manual transmission is actually faster?  Is this claim true though?

• Brohoof 1

I have had an automatic till now although I have tried to practice on my step-father's old ford ranger which was manual. I have a deep desire to learn how to drive manual well soon enough. Automatic is nice but they always say that a manual transmission is actually faster?  Is this claim true though?

Hmmm yes, I've heard that too. I think manuals shift gears faster since you do it yourself. I guess that's maybe why most race cars and such are manual?

I really don't know much about cars though.  :derp:

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm yes, I've heard that too. I think manuals shift gears faster since you do it yourself. I guess that's maybe why most race cars and such are manual?

Yeah man that's what I'm talking about time for me to invest in a nice car with manual transmission and take it for a thrill ride ;)

• Brohoof 1

As to the claim that manuals are faster, this is partially true. The biggest difference is that with an automatic, the average person doesn't push the pedal to the ground, so the car will shift slowly and at lower RPM's versus a manual which can be pushed into red-lining before shifting which leads to increased acceleration, but it can wreak havoc on your engine and transmission if your car isn't built to do so. I drive a manual 5-speed kia soul and its a fun car to drive, yeah its an in-line 4 cylinder engine, but since the car is so light, it really gets up and goes. If I ever had to drive an automatic again, I would feel really weird lol

Manuals tend to be faster since there's more of the engine's power going to the wheels.  Automatics (well, the majority of them) need a crapton of hydraulic fluid to work and you use a decent bit of the engine's power to move all of that hydraulic fluid around. The only place where an auto would be faster is when the engine is turbocharged since you can stay on the throttle and not lose boost.

Anyway, back on topic.  Personally, having a manual isn't a preference, it's a requirement.  The only exception would be if I ever had the money to get my hands on a 60s American luxury car. Otherwise, I won't even look at it.  Of course, this makes car shopping rather difficult...

(edited)

Since im not a racer, I have to go with auto. I really like electric vehicles since they have one speed, and that is FAST acceleration, which is more important oto me than top speed. When I am only able to go 80 miles at the max speed limit, it does not matter to me whether the car can go past that limit, only that its quick to get to that limit.

Edited by Wyllow

Automatic if you are a amateur(Or advanced Drivers who is lazy to use a stick shift)

Stick Shift Is for people who want to go very fast or control the vehicle's speed.

Personally i say i would want both transmissions into 1 car.

Now there's a shocker  never heard a person who can't drive in a video game before.

That's how I drive in real life :3 

Well one of these days soon I'll will learn how to drive stick and not look back at automatics I have that set as a goal in mind.

I currently drive an automatic, but I prefer a manual. You have more control over your car. You can downshift to slow down with engine braking and you have finer traction control via the clutch on snow and wet surfaces. You are also forced to pay more active attention to your driving. I had a 1992 Toyota Tercel with vinyl seats that could pretty much drive through anything. It was better than having a big 4x4 and easier to stop by virtue of being so small.

(edited)

I drive a stick, and love it. You get more of a "feel" of the driving experience if you don't have to rely on an automatic transmission. Plus, if something goes wrong, manual transmissions are easier to repair. (Cheaper, too!) There are far fewer moving parts.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I used to own a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 with automatic transmission and I loved it, but I traded that guy in for my 2002 Jeep Wrangler with stick and can't go back to automatic! I feel more "in control" and it's perfect for off-roading and pulling.

I used to drive a 2002 BMW 1975 in high school which I used to race on a track just outside of town. Always loved stick transmission and always will!

(edited)

I've only ever driven a manual car so I can't really compare but I think automatic would better for day to day driving as it's easier, no clutch or gear stick to worry about.

Manual's are fine one you learn it though, I think most cars in the UK are manual.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

I haven't even started to learn to drive yet, due to a lack of funds.

But even I can drive an automatic.

In the UK, I find, people think that automatics are for those who can't drive very well.

Or don't know what a pedal clutch is.

Manual:

I’ve never driven an automatic.

Manual transmission gives more control over the car, and is much better for people like myself who are enthusiast drivers. Automatic decreases the amount of power you can get from the engine because it does all the gear changes for you.

I think manual is more common over here in the UK compared to the US. The majority of people I know even the none enthusiast have manual gear boxes, I do know people who have auto but there in a minority. 

Which do you prefer? I have yet to learn how to drive stick myself although I have practiced some. I just haven't mastered it yet. I really want to learn how to drive stick-shift and I think I would prefer it over Auto. 

But for you all what transmission do you prefer overall?

Manual, automatic Motorbikes just dont feel right :P