Still waiting for my upgrade.

Sorry, I meant to say Win8

Yeah, that's true. But I've also had problems simply downloading emulators, or even torrenting. My friend, who has a Windows 7, said he had never had the problems that I was having trying to download things. That's another reason I hate Win8. Win10 will most likely be the same as 8 in a lot of ways, just upgraded to be "better". Am I right?

I've been running Windows 8 for more than a few years, and never had any of those problems. Everything downloaded just as fast, if not faster than 7. Maybe you're just unlucky, or, as Daring said, you have network issues.

• Brohoof 1

I'm putting off upgrading to windows 10 for now. Maybe sometime next year when it's been around long enough to have all the kinks worked out. 7 is working just fine for me, so I see no reason to change anytime soon.
DONT PUT IT OFF, the free download is only for a few months after the release, so if you want it without paying 200 dollars, get it sooner rather than later. 

DONT PUT IT OFF, the free download is only for a few months after the release, so if you want it without paying 200 dollars, get it sooner rather than later. 

You must be new to the internet.

Enjoy having spyware on your computer now. :P

This.

I see you using that :P to make it sound less harsh.

This morning I had a lot of long conversations on /n/ and /tech/ with people that had gotten the update, and there are quite a few things that WX does that'll keep me from getting it. So yeah. A lot of em have already rolled back.

• Brohoof 1

Who are you talking to? I don't have spyware on my computer.

You must be new to the internet.

Anyways, you could use Microsoft's media creation tool to create an ISO image of Windows 10 and save yourself of the trouble of having to hunt down for a reliable "alternative" source ;).

I am not sure, but I assume that the installation image will always work as long you have a valid license of Windows 7 and later.

• Brohoof 1

The free upgrade is available till next year

Anyways, you could use Microsoft's media creation tool to create an ISO image of Windows 10 and save yourself of the trouble of having to hunt down for a reliable "alternative" source ;).

Just to let you know, you can't do a clean install right away, to obtain the free upgrade you have to upgrade first and then do a clean install if you want

• Brohoof 2

The free upgrade is available till next year

Just to let you know, you can't do a clean install right away, to obtain the free upgrade you have to upgrade first and then do a clean install if you want

So the solution here for those who do not want to upgrade now is to do the upgrade, choose to keep the files and programs, then hit the rollback option on the restore panel, which will revert Windows to exactly how it was before the upgrade.

• Brohoof 1

Jury is still out on how much i like Windows 10 (I've had it for 24 hours now). Is it beter than Windows 8? I think so, especially because i dont have a touchscreen or anything like that and Windows 10 accomodates that better than windows 8 did. Is it better than windows 7? Hmm, cant say yet.

Finally installed it. Liking it so far. No problems at all.

Likewise! It has been super smooth~♪

Though I notice that using Firefox to watch Netflix eats up 40% of my processing power. Its a quad core of 3.00Ghz Start menu uses up roughly 10% upon opening. and Cortana uses approx 30% for one second as it opens. I suppose all is fine as it does not seem particularly exceptional. Though I wonder how much it is when compared to Windows 7? I never paid quite as much attention to resource usage. But I imagine 10 is less considering a $100 computer can use Windows 10 (I saw Techradar mention that)

Basically where I am going with this is, what are the resource usages you end up with for routine things? Video streaming? Start menu and Cortana use? etc.

*edit* Do not forget to mention the Processing power you have available, since that relates to how much % you use up :P

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis

@@Fleur-De-Lis, Hmm, not getting more resource consumption than normal, though, I'm running a custom built PC, also, I haven't used Windows 7 in a few years, but I do remember things taking a bit longer to open. :P

Good thing I'm waiting before I upgrade.

i'm waiting 4 days before the year is up before SO THEY CAN FIX ALL THE shitty shit bugs and crashes before i dive in

plus this is going on my gaming rig and i plain to clean install seeing as "upgrading" is not so good

Edited by Jora

@Jora I havent seen any particular bugs or crashes yet and i'v been using it  for gaming and video streaming services.The one problem I have had thus far is a trivial one where I seem to have to turn num lock on every start up.

I'm upgrading exclusively for enhanced gaming performance. I couldn't care less about everything else.

I'm perfectly content with 8.1 after I installed Start8 to get my Start Menu back. Thus I have little interest in 10.

I'd say that upgrading is a good idea, since DX12 comes with it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm talking to everyone. Lol.

Umm..okay I'm just a bit confused as to what your point was. What are you saying exactly?

Umm..okay I'm just a bit confused as to what your point was. What are you saying exactly?

He said this originally

Enjoy having spyware on your computer now.  :P

To me this implies that he think that Windows 10 will give you spyware, or he is referring to Windows 10 being spyware because of all the data Microsoft collects by default

Edited by VictiniStar101

I'm upgrading exclusively for enhanced gaming performance. I couldn't care less about everything else.

I'd say that upgrading is a good idea, since DX12 comes with it.

Well at the moment obviously no game requires 12 yet, but at the same time the only thing I am concerned about is... Where is the money? Microsoft doing this  big upgrade for free, promising this is more or less the "last" version of windows and we'll be getting free updates from now on. Where is the money? What's in it for them? I can't help but feel they are going to wait until we're all locked in and then we'll be given the bad news somewhere.

Well at the moment obviously no game requires 12 yet, but at the same time the only thing I am concerned about is... Where is the money? Microsoft doing this  big upgrade for free, promising this is more or less the "last" version of windows and we'll be getting free updates from now on. Where is the money? What's in it for them? I can't help but feel they are going to wait until we're all locked in and then we'll be given the bad news somewhere.

This is a guess of my part, but I presume that money can come from selling software, hardware and services. If I am not mistaken, this is how most of the money come with mobile OS'es.

But then what about your phones? Hmm? I don't hear the tech community (or anyone, really) complaining when Google snoops your emails to display "relevant" ads or Apple storing everything you say to Siri on their servers but when Microsoft does it the entire internet goes up in flames.

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1