Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Hiatus.

CastletonSnob

The reason for the hiatus is pretty simple actually. Hasbro Studios and DHX needed more time to make more episodes (instead of rushing them. The best practice is to have a time buffer for the studios to create the episodes without the worry of being rushed).

Maybe after Season 5 will see another hiatus. But we won't know for sure until Hasbro officially announces them.

Edited by Jonny Music

Cool, I hadn't heard there was an official date yet. So the next episode is Sept 12 then, right?

Since this hiatus happened exactly half-way through S5, I doubt if there will be any more hiatuses (hiati? :P) in S5.

• Brohoof 1

The reason for the hiatus is pretty simple actually. Hasbro Studios and DHX needed more time to make more episodes (instead of rushing them. The best practice is to have a time buffer for the studios to create the episodes without the worry of being rushed).

Maybe after Season 5 will see another hiatus. But we won't know for sure until Hasbro officially announces them.

Really, I thought it was because there are less viewers during summer vacation  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Really, I thought it was because there are less viewers during summer vacation  :huh:

That could be another plausible reason. However, the main reason is always that the studios needed more time to create and release the episodes when appropriate (quality-check and whatnot).

• Brohoof 1

If only it was that commendable.

I'm guessing the episodes are mostly done at this point. Discovery Family is just being a supreme butthead about it and forcing a hiatus so they can spread whatever new episodes of whatever shows they have throughout the year, as new episodes mean ad revenue, and no new episodes mean no ad revenue. Why do you think that horrible Jungle Book show "premiered" (after syndicating in South Africa and Disney Junior) on the weekend right after the last new episode?

Now that the hiatus is shorter than expected, do you think we'll ever find out why there was a hiatus?

Think we'll get any more mini-hiatuses when the show comes back?

It's made by human beings. Human need rest. Humans need time to think of ideas. Humans need to live their lives and not constantly slaving away making cartoons. Cartoon take time to make.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

They also had episodes planned for Halloween and Christmas. The halfway mark was probably a good time to have a hiatus before getting around the time to air those holiday related episodes closer to an appropriate time.

If only it was that commendable.

I'm guessing the episodes are mostly done at this point. Discovery Family is just being a supreme butthead about it and forcing a hiatus so they can spread whatever new episodes of whatever shows they have throughout the year, as new episodes mean ad revenue, and no new episodes mean no ad revenue. Why do you think that horrible Jungle Book show "premiered" (after syndicating in South Africa and Disney Junior) on the weekend right after the last new episode?

In addition to the above, the finale didn't seem to have been finished about a month ago, since they still used an animatic. It's also possible that other episodes before it weren't done being animated.

• Brohoof 1

They also had episodes planned for Halloween and Christmas. The halfway mark was probably a good time to have a hiatus before getting around the time to air those holiday related episodes closer to an appropriate time.

In addition to the above, the finale didn't seem to have been finished about a month ago, since they still used an animatic. It's also possible that other episodes before it weren't done being animated.

They use animatics at panels regardless of the episode being done or not. Part of the whole teaser preview thing they're going for.

I think they're just trying to get back into a regular season schedule. Most TV shows have their season premiere in the fall and finale in the spring. All the other FIM seasons followed this, but season 5 premiered in April. If they had kept on airing episodes, season five would have ended in the fall and if they still wanted to get back into a normal season cycle, we would have had to wait a whole year for season six to start in fall of 2016. With the hiatus, we wait out the summer (which is a perfect time to watch less TV anyway), and after the finale this spring we will only have a few months to wait for more ponies.

Not to mention, this way the show will still be airing around December toy selling season. $$$$$

• Brohoof 1

They use animatics at panels regardless of the episode being done or not. Part of the whole teaser preview thing they're going for.

You have a source that says they do that or that the episodes they show are already finished when the promos are made? Because they were fine with showing a finished clip of The Crystal Empire, and they've shown finished clips of the EqG movie.

Because Discovery Family don't care about the adult fans like The Hub did. They only care about the adspace and if anyone's watching any show they air without focusing on a particular one.

Because Discovery Family don't care about the adult fans like The Hub did. They only care about the adspace and if anyone's watching any show they air without focusing on a particular one.

Given how TERRIBLE DF has been at advertising in general, I have a hard time thinking they care about *anything*. Seriously, terrible promotion of the show this season :/

• Brohoof 1

Why not move MLP to Cartoon Network due to DF's handling of the show, right?

Because they'd likely put the show at a terrible time slot and give it less promotion than DF does?

• Brohoof 1

A lot of shows have hiatuses after mid-season finales, whether they're animated or live action.

I think this one is to make last minute edits to the animation. That, or so the entire season doesn't feel so short. I'd rather wait a month and look forward to the next episode than wait an entire year and have no idea when the series is going to come back.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fine with mini-hiatuses, as I don't watch the episodes weekly. I didn't even know that there was a hiatus until recently. Once three to five episodes have accumulated, I'll get some cereal and watch them all in a row them with my sister.

Edited by TopQuark

Honestly, the hiatus is not unusual. Many shows do a mid season hiatus so they can span the episodes out over a longer period. In this case, I believe the hiatus was to allow the second half of the season to coincide with the upcoming Equestria Girls movie that is on its way. They want to get all the content out around the same time, probably because they will link up or something. Also it means they can have new episodes running until around the holiday season (Novemberish) so that it'll be fresh in younger fans heads when the big toy sales start up. It's a really good business strategy honestly to purposely make the season end around the time of the holidays coming.