Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC Clichés That Bother You

Venomous

The OC has immense super powers.

"The Rise Of Darth Vulcan" by RealityCheck actually does something creative with ^that---"Vulcan" isn't stronger than Discord, but the Alicorn Amulet gives his magic "kryptonite" properties against Discord's.

Beats the crap out of "Stronger than Q 2.0 just because" any day.

(edited)

OC clichés do not bother me all that much but I could understand why some of them are to people

1. This is something that I could understand more, being all op with no flaws leaves little room for character growth.

2. and 3. -I put these two together because they are quite similar- Could actually work if they're well done.

4. Something that is unappealing is by itself bothersome, I understand that.

5. Refer to number 2 and 3.

6. I get why people are bothered by this, but refer to 2 and 3.

7. I get it, and fell for it (cough Fluttershy cough)

In general, some of these "Clichés" do work if handled very well. The problem is, it's hard to handle them well.

If I really have to come up with a cliché trait of an OC that bothers me the most, it's the super star sydrome, a common issue in stories and OC designs in which the main character gets not only most, but ALL of the "camera's" attention, while other characters are more like 2 dimensional assets with very little role and development. It's somewhat like Mary/Gary Sue, except that the OC does not necessarily have to be hyper op and flawless, Mary/Gary Sue is often paired with Super Star Syndrome anyways.

As long as they are handled well, it's fine with me.

Edited by Venomous

- They're dark and edgy

- They have tragic pasts(goes back to the "Dark and edgy")

- They're related/in love with/more important than the mane 6

- They're the chosen ones

- They're overpowered

- They're perfect in every single way 

I personally believe an OC should be what you want it to be, so very few things are bad in my books. If you wanted me to judge it story-wise though, there are plenty of things that could go wrong. It's hard to make a good and believable character.

• Related To A Canon Character

Mary Sue

Deer Hybrid

Dragon Hybrid

RED AND BLACK (even though it's a color scheme, it's still a cliche, and it's one bad one)

"Kawaii"

Recolors: I understand, you can't draw. However, there are still way better ways to make OCs than just lazily changing the color of one of the mane six. Use Pony Creator because well that uses a lot of show assets, at least you can mix them around to make a more define looking character.

Tragic backstory: I've seen this crap enough in Disney movies. "HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD!" "HE'S THE CHOSEN ONE!" "HIS MIND IS CORRUPTED!" Basically backstories ripped right out of Disney movies or Harry Potter. They just shove it right in your face as a tactic to make you feel sympathetic for the character. Well I can't since I've seen it a million times.

The self-inserf: This mixed with the tragic backstory are the ones I see the most in fanfics. These ones tend to be the easiest to write because hey, it's easy to write yourself. Sadly, the way I've seen it used is not really what I get excited over. A lot of times it feels like the writer only is using the character to boost their own ego by hooking up with one of the mane six of making them always in the right. It's pretty much just as annoying as the ones with tragic backstories.

• Brohoof 3

Really my only complaints involve being "soopah edgi" for no reason and also having an extremely tragic backstory. Color scheme doesn't bother me too much as long as the colors go together.